Why all the bad comments??

dom

Mum, Dad, Kenzie & Ella x
Reaction score
Hi all :flower: Im planning on doing baby led weaning with my little lady. Shes 4 months old now, so people are beginning to ask whether she's eating yet. Almost every single person (bar my MIL lol) have had something bad to say when I say that we're going to try baby led weaning. Ive has everything from "she'll be screaming because shes so starving if you wait until 6 months" (from my mum, who convinced me that my little man needed weaning at 3 1/2 months - something i regret now) to "she'll end up choking, all of my friends babies who have tried this have choked" (from one of the girls from work).

I try to explain that babies stomachs aren't ready for food until - on average - 6 months, that milk should be enough for her etc etc and that choking is often confused with the gagging reflex but people just look at me as if to say well you'll regret it and then Ill have to say I told you so......

Even the HV that came round on Monday to talk weaning with me was trying her best to convince me not to do it "if you go one the <Health website - fogot the name :haha:> it says that you're not supposed to do it because of the risk of choking" - she even told me to go to Sainsbury's and buy a hand blender because they're only about £7!!!!!! Oh and she said that she wont be able to eat because she cant push food to the back of her mouth - so she'll be too hungry!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the rant, its just really getting at me that something that is so natural can cause some people to go into practically an argument. I mean, surely if a baby is hungry it will pick up food and eat it rather than you putting the food into its mouth whether it has a choice or not? - Dont get me wrong, I did the puree mush stuff with little man, but now Ive found out about BLW from BNB it all makes sense to me now!! :thumbup:

Phew :coffee: xx

Hi sweetie.

I think its probably because BLW is quite a new thing so people who are used to only spoon feeding don't really get it.Its another one of those things where people who don't understand it just think its wrong and judge too quickly.
With regards to your HV, Seraphim did an interesting thread about this the other day in Natural Parenting. I think the outcome of it is some NHS staff are starting to have training on it and some aren't so the advice on it is massively varied from area to area.
We did half mush, half BLW and Ophelia had never choked in her life up until a couple of weeks ago and she's 20 months :shrug: You do what you think is right for your LO hon,don't worry what anyone else says xxx

:hugs: Thanks hun, My other HV recommended it and said that they are ulitmatly, in the future, going to recommend BLW so I was really confused as to why the other one was so against it. Surely they should all be giving out the same advice??

And what a beautiful name your little lady has too :kiss: xx

I think people are just too narrow minded and set in their ways (older generation) to accept that there are new ways of parenting becoming the 'mainstream' (BLW is def getting more popular from what I've seen, as has 'natural' parenting rather than the attitude that LO is manipulating you etc).

Everyone I spoke to about it before we started had a very negative attitude and my mum was like 'but she needs puree to learn to swallow' - which just goes to prove how uneducated most people are. I was too until I researched it and learnt myself how babies learn to eat and control the food and ultimately swallow.

But trust me, once people see it in action, they'll soon change their minds! Now my mum cannot stop going on about how well Violet eats to anyone who'll listen and she always goes on about how 'interesting' it'll be to see how other new mums she knows will feed their LOs, as if BLW is "thee only" way to go now :lol:

Thanks hun, I hope they do.......

Some times I just feel like telling them to shut it and mind their own business :haha:

xx

We get this all the time! My LO is going to do blw wheter my mother, sister, hv and random people care!

She has had a really bad week of sleeping and I just wanted my mum to sympathise but all I get is she needs solids! hung up on her yesterday over it (we're talking again today) i think long term it is worth putting up with the criticism!

My Mum actually said it was 'just being lazy'. I tried to explain the logic and she just wasn't having any of it. Shame really as now that I've had Earl I've noticed a lot of people practising it while we've been out (in cafes etc) and people are always impressed. In fact, the BHS cafe near where I live actually offers booster seats as well as highchairs now :thumbup:

My mum thinks I am a nutter for wanting to try and that I'm starving LO - well she doesn't looked starved! My godmother (my mums friend) came to LO's christening last week and said her grandson was blw and it was brilliant - cue my mum looking doubtful and begin muttering I had solids at 8 weeks and I was fine. Off she skulked to the puddings!

Hopefully seeing it in action will change her mind!

My mum thinks I am a nutter for wanting to try and that I'm starving LO - well she doesn't looked starved! My godmother (my mums friend) came to LO's christening last week and said her grandson was blw and it was brilliant - cue my mum looking doubtful and begin muttering I had solids at 8 weeks and I was fine. Off she skulked to the puddings!

Sounds familiar lol....My Mum just keeps on saying that 'you were weaned at 12 weeks and you're fine.' That as may be, I'm his Mum, not you missus! :dohh:

Sounds familiar lol....My Mum just keeps on saying that 'you were weaned at 12 weeks and you're fine.' That as may be, I'm his Mum, not you missus! :dohh:

:hugs: Thanks ladies, im so glad Im not on my own. My mum gave me baby rice at 5 weeks old!!!!!! - so you know, she thinks letting Gabriella go until 6 months is just torture :dohh: I cant wait until we start doing it - Im going on holiday when she'll be 7 months old and it will be so much easier not having to take mush everywhere we go and worrying whether there will be anywhere to heat it up etc...

xx

Oh dear, everytime we go out to MIL I hear "that poor baby" about one thing or another and the baby isn't even born yet!!! I dread to think what their reaction is gonna be when we tell them we're gonna be BLW!!! I think we shall leave that conversation as late as possible!! I said to hubby the other day that we won't even think about mentioning it until we have to!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->