why am i getting my period, im breastfeeding?

octoberbaby2

Reaction score
My baby is 11 weeks 3 days old, I have been breastfeeding him but over the past few weeks he has been getting breastfed as well as getting formula fed. He gets about 8oz's in formula a day. He does sleep throughout the night. He goes to bed at 10 and wakes around 6 am.
Today I got my period, I was hoping that I wouldn't get it for a while because I am breastfeeding. Has anyone else gotten their period this early?

:shrug:

Yeah Hon i can sympathize. I got mine back at 6 weeks. Now it's coming every 27 to 28 days just like pre pregnancy. My son is 4 months old. I don't even supplement and its only been within the past week or so that he's slept through the night.

I noticed my last period i had a horrible decrease in milk supply. My lactation consultant recommended that calcium stabilizes hormones and can help prevent that drop in supply. I drank lots of milk the past 2 weeks and had no decrease in supply.

I'm sorry yours returned so fast too!!! It would have been nice if we got that lovely break others have...haha :)

I believe the general rule is you need to feed every 4 hours for ovulation to remain suppressed (although that's not the case for everyone some women get it back even when full time EBF) so because you supplement it makes it more likely that your period will return :flower: my period returned when I switched to formula during the day at 8 months with ds1 despite still BF morning and night.

You can get your period and not be ovulating.
I got mine back at 5 months and my Lo was nursing at least every 4 hours 24 hours a day and I got mine. But I didn't start ovulating till she was 1 years old.

In short - Because you supplement with formula and have a period of over 6 hours between feeds.

Generally to keep fertility at bay you need to be:

Baby under 6 months
Exclusively Nursing (No formula)
Feed at least 4 hourly (Day & Night)

I'm sure a couple other of things too but I forget.

Candy day, how could you tell when you were vs weren't ovulating?

I wonder if its random, i have not yet had my period since pp but the past two weeks i have been cramping on both side like something fierce. I ebf every 2-3 hrs and my lo is 4m3w old. I just have a feeling my period is gonna start any moment.

I pump or feed every three hours and do not supplement and mine came back like clockwork at six weeks.

Got mine back when bub was 6 weeks old :( Been regular every since.

Might be irregular. Just your hormones out of it still, or even because you've been giving formula.

But again, it might be irregular. I got one when my LO was around 11 week, and one more when I started feeding him solids. However those are the only two I've had since. :shrug:

I got mine when LO was 5 weeks because I gave her an expressed bottle through the night one night! I'm pretty sure I'm just about to get it again as I've had some spotting. I'm guessing it's because LO has slept 11 hours through the night for the past three nights and I am damned if I'm getting up to pump when she's sound asleep :haha:

HV said it might be a sign that I am very fertile that I'm still getting full periods whilst feeding. Could make sense as DH and I fell pregnant on first attempt. Being VERY careful now! :) x

Mine came back at 10 weeks postpartum. I exclusively breastfed, too. It doesn't seem fair, but it would be worse.

Mine came back at 12 weeks, despite feeding every couple of hours day and night. It just happens for some people, yet others can only BF a couple of times a day with nothing at night and still not get it back until they stop BF completely.

If you give any formula, you'll probably get it back sooner than you would if you were EBF, so that could have brought it forward for you.

It's likely you'll get your period back when your baby starts solids or starts drinking formula and/or STTN. I got my period back at 6 months after DS had been on solids for about a month and only woke up once during the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->