Why and What are wraps used for?

nervouspains

Love being a Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

So I was just wondering what the wraps are for- the waterproof material ones and the fleece ones?
How and why are they used?
Thanks!
xx

hmmm, I may get this wrong, but its for when you have a nappy or towelling etc which isnt waterproof, you can add a wrap over the top.

So like the flips are all in one, but others arnt.....

Thanks PC- what nappies arent waterproof though? except terry towelings? xx

Thats it pinkclaire :) If you have nappies that dont have a waterproof layer built in then you use a wrap over the top to makethe whole thing waterproof. The flips are a wrap and insert. Normally you use wraps over terry squares or tots bots bamboozles, dunk n fluff fitteds etcetc xx

Wraps are used over flat nappies (terry squares and prefolds) or fitted nappies (shaped but without a waterproof layer). PUL wraps are waterproof whereas fleece and wool wraps are breathable and allow the moisture to evaporate.

Prefolds, terry nappies and fitted nappies aren't waterproof. You can also get some pocket nappies that aren't but they're rare. On most websites where different types of nappies are sold, the nappy description will say if you need a wrap or not. Otherwise, you know you will need one if it's a fitted or a flat nappy (prefold or terry).

I've got some in my trial which arnt water proof,they are a fitted nappy, then you put the wrap over them. Ive got two lollipop ones and a one life. The one life is ok, but I find the lollipop are very bulky and take AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGes to dry. Although super absorbant so I'm going to try it at night!

Oh now I know why he leaked when he tried a lollypop one! super :blush:
Thanks for your help ladies xx

lol you are funny! Did they not talk you through them when you got your trial?

There are basically 4 different systems of nappying - all-in one systems, like Tots Bots Easyfits, Pocket nappies, like Bumgenius, Popin nappies like Close Parent - these all come with waterproofing built into the system - and a 2 part system, where you have a separate nappy and wrap - either square nappies, prefolds or shaped nappies.

The 2 part system is the most efficient, as any leaks from the nappy get caught by the wrap, and also the most economical to use, as you only need a few wraps.

The wraps waterproof the nappy. You can get nappies made out of cotton, bamboo, hemp micro-terry or tencel (which is like bamboo, but made out of wood pulp, and doesn't shrink)

PUL wraps are the most widely used, and are very good. However, fleece and wool ones are much more breathable, allow evaporation to take place, and are therefore much cooler. Lanolized wool is the Rolls Royce of fabrics to choose for nappy covers, as wool is naturally anti-bacterial, will not absorb smells, and doesn't need washing every time, but only needs hanging to air between uses, unless it has actually been soiled. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's really true you will only need to wash wool nappy cover every 3-4 weeks, unless it has been soiled! It is also very soft against the skin, so you won't get parks around the legs and waist.
Fleece has almost the same cooling properties, but will still need washing after every use, as it doesn't have the self cleaning properties of lanolized wool

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->