Why are people so unintantionally rude?

LittleStars

Mum to 3 beautiful girls!
Reaction score
I have already had a daughter 5 years ago and so I think I kinda know what to expect as far as people's normal nosy-ness.. but since having the twins I have been subjected to the most annoyingly invasive behavior from strangers repeatedly.

I usually go out with the twins in their carseats either on the Snap'n'Go twin stroller or one in the bottom of a cart and the other at the top. I literally get stopped 3-4 times in a store by someone who not only wants to peek but who wants to talk to me, stare at the babies and sometimes even try to touch them. I get stories about some twin they knew once or how much they want(ed) twins or whatever. They ask how old?, how much did they weigh? what do they weigh now?, how far along I was? etc. My girls are now 5 weeks old, were born at 38 weeks gestation, born at 6lbs10oz and 7lbs 1oz and they are currently 7lbs 8oz and 7lbs15oz - NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!

They think nothing of wasting my time while telling me how it must be so hard to find time to get out to the stores. And the best part is when they call over the rest of the family to come and look at the twins. They're not even identical, it's not that exciting people!

Has everyone else had to deal with this? Why didn't anyone warn me??? Or are people in my area just weird? And if so, when does it end???? I don't mind another mom asking How old? or some old lady saying Are they precious.. but this is insane!

Oh and thanks for letting me rant.. :)

I have already had a daughter 5 years ago and so I think I kinda know what to expect as far as people's normal nosy-ness.. but since having the twins I have been subjected to the most annoyingly invasive behavior from strangers repeatedly.

I usually go out with the twins in their carseats either on the Snap'n'Go twin stroller or one in the bottom of a cart and the other at the top. I literally get stopped 3-4 times in a store by someone who not only wants to peek but who wants to talk to me, stare at the babies and sometimes even try to touch them. I get stories about some twin they knew once or how much they want(ed) twins or whatever. They ask how old?, how much did they weigh? what do they weigh now?, how far along I was? etc. My girls are now 5 weeks old, were born at 38 weeks gestation, born at 6lbs10oz and 7lbs 1oz and they are currently 7lbs 8oz and 7lbs15oz - NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!

They think nothing of wasting my time while telling me how it must be so hard to find time to get out to the stores. And the best part is when they call over the rest of the family to come and look at the twins. They're not even identical, it's not that exciting people!

Has everyone else had to deal with this? Why didn't anyone warn me??? Or are people in my area just weird? And if so, when does it end???? I don't mind another mom asking How old? or some old lady saying Are they precious.. but this is insane!

Oh and thanks for letting me rant.. :)

This part made me laugh. I'm lucky that I like/appreciate the attention my twins get. I'm always alone with them, so when we do occasionally get out I like that people see them as wondrous/beautiful things and are drawn to us like magnets. :) Then we have a little happy chat about babies etc.

If I come across a cloak of invisibility, I will send it your way. lol :flower:

I am afraid to have to admit to loving the attention, especially when I have had a bad night or day with the twins. Then I pop out to the shops and people just smile at the pushchair or stop me to talk and it makes the rough night fade away!! And like I said in another thread people sometimes regret stopping me because they end up getting every single detail about my little miracles!!

Everyone is different it annoys my OH but i dont mind in the slightest when i get this, it just makes me more proud. The only thing that does bother me is when they totally ignore my daughter without thinking, my daughter has on the odd occasion blurted out "look at me" when the twins have had attention so i try to include her now by saying things like "yes two boys and they have a lovely big sister who looks after them" and people usually pick up on my hint!

Oh wow this is the first post I've read on this part of the forum, I didn't think of anything like that happening. I had a lot of people stop me with just 1 baby never mind 2. I agree though people used to ignore my older son and admire the baby that part was really quite irritating.

Is this what I have to look forward to?? Should I just make a slot an the stroller that holds info cards on my little guys, so I can just hand them one, say thank you, and then continue on my merry way?? :)

I know I'm totally gate crashing, but given that I'm starting an IVF cycle I thought I'd pop in and learn a bit about being pregnant with and parenting multiples (just in case!)....

The idea of people touching me or my babies makes me shudder. I was thinking of always putting one of those car seat covers (the little blankets that tie to the top of the car seat and make a tent over them) on and seeing if that would keep people from touching them? And if they try to move the blanket tell the people that they are sleeping?

Maybe then people wouldn't immediately think Twins either? :shrug:

Just a thought, and I'm totally with you on thinking that is super annoying! As if you don't have enough things to do! :flower:

Is this what I have to look forward to?? Should I just make a slot an the stroller that holds info cards on my little guys, so I can just hand them one, say thank you, and then continue on my merry way?? :)

I was thinking of attaching a note on the car seats saying "I'm sick, please don't touch me" lol

The worst part is I know these people aren't TRYING to annoy me.. I just have zero patience for anything these days.

I do try to keep the babies covered to discourage looky-loos but despite having the hood pulled over and having a cozy cover on the seat https://www.cozy-cover.com/ they seem to still think it's wanted attention.

And yes my DD1 who is 5 does often feel left out of things but is very proud and quick to notice when someone acknowledges here helpfulness as a big sister. Just goes to show you though that she is listening to every word being said around her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->