Why can't I pump?

ChaiTea

Reaction score
I've been told by some women that they were never able to pump no matter what they tried. I don't want this to be me! I really want to have a stash of milk in the freezer. So far I have 2.5 ounces from three successful pumps. My child is going on 7 weeks and every other time I've pumped, not a single drop.

I have tried EVERYTHING I've read online and have been told. I need to start from scratch. If you had trouble pumping, can you share with me what worked for you? FYI I have a Medela electric pump with two handhelds.

I know my first step will be to relax which is getting easier as he gets older. My supply is great and he's eating on demand.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Edit: I've even tried to pump after he's been choking and sputtering on milk... I pump and get nothing! I put him back on and he's choking and sputtering again until the milk slows down. I'm so confused!

I just started pumping to build a freezer stash so I'm not an expert. What kind of pump are you using? I know a good hospital grade will get the best results. I have the medela pump in style. I was told by my LC to pump after baby eats for 15 mins. Also hit the letdown button a few times when pumping. I only got drops at first but now I am able to get 1-3oz which is pretty good for after a feed. Also pump in the morning between 1-6 if you can, that is when your milk supply is highest, it's lowest is around 6pm. Also some do not respond to the pump well. Keep up the good work!

i worked part time when my first one was little so i did a fair share of pumping. i didnt have problems per say with it, but i found that if i squeezed the breast tissue while pumping it helped to collect more milk. also is the flange size correct? the suction needs to be getting the right amount of tissue around there....
i would keep with it as much as possible, and try squeezing em while pumping!

You totally sound like me! I can't get anything if I pump. I did manage to get a stash of about 100 ounces. The key for me was to pump one side while my daughter nursed the other. It was a bit difficult to get used to because she would try to kick the pump out of my hand. My daughter is almost a year old and still only takes one side per feeding except for bedtime, she'll take both sides. The other thing that helped me was do it first thing in the morning. I just can't seem to get myself to letdown. My daughter seems to be the only way for me to letdown. Also, an electric pump wouldn't do it at all. I had to switch to using a manual pump.

Was anything different the times that you were able to get milk?

How does the suction feel to you? How is your flange size? How long did you try pumping per session? Did it hurt your nipples?

Have you ever tried a manual pump? What about hand expressing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->