WHY can't women have tattoo's when pregnant?

xxxjessxxx

MC 02/05/11. Hope for BFP
Reaction score
I was hoping to get one for my 21st, but I'm pregnant. And was told you can't... why is this? Has anyone still had one done?

Many reasons, one being infection. You could have ink reaction even if you have prior tats too. Your baby could be allergic, and you have a compromised immune system. Of course there is a very small chance of if your artist is not using sterile tools, then you could get a disease from another person such as hep C. There are other possible complications too. Most will not do it unless they do not care about the fact they could be hurting somebody. You usually have to sign a waiver saying you are not preg. Also, do not get a tat while BF.

There are a few reasons.
1 being the risk of infection and a higher risk of shock because of increased blood flow.

Even though some people (myself included) don't find tattoos painful or stressful it is still just a big skin wound and with being pregnant takes longer to heal increasing your chance of infection.
And the repetitive trauma to you skin pregnancy increases your risk of shock which is very harmful in pregnancy.

It's best to wait until after pregnancy.
Then maybe you could even get a tattoo to symbolise bub while you're there make it even more worth yhe trip.

Any decent tattoo studio will not tattoo you while you are pregnant and if you manage to find one who will, you should really question everything else about the studio too.

The only reason I know all this is because I had a tattoo appointment to get some of my back coloured in, but I just found out I was pregnant. And he stopped me there and I had to come back when I finished breast feeding.

I second what glitter_berry said.
I too was planning a new tattoo but happy to wait.
Every time I have been to a tattooist (LOTS) I hace had to sign consent/waiver and it always asks you to confirm you are not pregnant.
Its not worth the risk and any tattooist who would still tattoo you really isnt one you should go to any way!

As PPs have said. Risk of infection, you will heal much more slowly, skin stretching before the tattoo has healed properly can cause cracks in the tattoo and cause the ink to migrate, and also as everyone has said, I wouldn't go to any tattooist that would tattoo you while pregnant!
It's only a few more months to wait for the good of you and your baby

OK ladies thank you very much :) I pretty much decided that I'd wait until after, but just wanted to know the main factors why women couldn't. Thanks for your replies :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->