Why did ultrasound tech ask about twins at 5 week scan?!

mommysbabys11

Reaction score
So I got my BFP on Monday. I went to the Dr today and when I had an ultrasound done one of the first questions the tech asked was if there was a possibility of twins?! She said my urine test came back very quickly but idk... Something in her face tells me it may be something else...

I was mainly shocked BC for some reason I guess its intuition I keep thinking it is twins. My mom was adopted so idk if they run in her family. I know they run in my boyfriends family but I don't think that matters...

Anyone else have something similar happen???

Fraternal runs in the family not identical .. Good Luck and congrats :hugs::hugs::hugs:

You had a scan - did they see anything?

My urine test was very dark but at 4 weeks, and it was twins. 5 weeks I'd expect it to be dark and quick even with just one.

Good luck!

Judging that off a using test is, for lack of better wording, dumb lol.

I agree frat twins tend to run in families and I heard usually it’s on the maternal side because of super ovulation. That runs in my family (we periodically release two eggs as evidenced by frat twins and ultrasounds showing two mature eggs at O). I had twins but that obviously didn’t come to fruition. My gyn suspected it because my hcg was doubling every day. Confirmed by ultrasound somewhere in the 5-6w range

Are you hopeful for twins?

You had a scan - did they see anything?

My urine test was very dark but at 4 weeks, and it was twins. 5 weeks I'd expect it to be dark and quick even with just one.

Good luck!
aCcording to the scan im 5w1d. Which puts me at getting pregnant a week before my last period began. So that seemed off to me too... I had the scan yesterday. On Monday is when I first did a HPT and I ended up doing 4 out of shock and disbelief Lol. All 4 came back with pretty dark lines within 30 seconds.

Idk what to believe. She said it was too early for a heartbeat and she gave me the ultrasound pictures. Said she only saw one sac... Which I guess would make sense either way since fraternal run in the family and I don't have that family history.

Idk... Why would I be showing I got pregnant before my last period even started?

Ughhhhh I didn't even get my blood work or anything done yet to try to look at levels...

I wouldn't be devastated if it wasnt, but something tells me it may be twins. I was already thinking it before she said it. Now she asked. And im measuring father along then anticipated. Also my symptoms are pretty strong...much more so than with my son. But they was 14 years ago too.... So who knows?

Ugh! Another TWW lmao

Judging that off a using test is, for lack of better wording, dumb lol.

I agree frat twins tend to run in families and I heard usually it’s on the maternal side because of super ovulation. That runs in my family (we periodically release two eggs as evidenced by frat twins and ultrasounds showing two mature eggs at O). I had twins but that obviously didn’t come to fruition. My gyn suspected it because my hcg was doubling every day. Confirmed by ultrasound somewhere in the 5-6w range

Are you hopeful for twins?

Judging that off of a using test....? I don't understand....

And im just hopeful for one happy healthy baby, but the more the merrier!

Since she saw one sac, I'm wondering if she thinks identical twins, which is just something that happens randomly (doesn't run in families)?? Did she see anything in the sac? I know 5 weeks is early, so I'm just wondering why she would ask about twins if she didn't see something?? How exciting!!

I will say, when I was pregnant with daughter I also took multiple tests because my line was darker than control line so I thought tests must be wrong LOL I wasn't trying to get pregnant (I was 45 years old!) but 2 days after missing my period I started getting that pregnancy nausea, so I got a test. It was positive and darker than the control line right away. So I went back to the store and bought a pack of frers, took them and same thing. I even googled about frers thinking they must have switched the control and test lines because my test line was much darker than the control line. Had my Hcg done at what was 4weeks 6 days and it came back at 18,762, which explains why my lines were so very dark. I just produce a lot of hcg it seems.

Good luck to you!! I would have loved twins!

Since she saw one sac, I'm wondering if she thinks identical twins, which is just something that happens randomly (doesn't run in families)?? Did she see anything in the sac? I know 5 weeks is early, so I'm just wondering why she would ask about twins if she didn't see something?? How exciting!!

I will say, when I was pregnant with daughter I also took multiple tests because my line was darker than control line so I thought tests must be wrong LOL I wasn't trying to get pregnant (I was 45 years old!) but 2 days after missing my period I started getting that pregnancy nausea, so I got a test. It was positive and darker than the control line right away. So I went back to the store and bought a pack of frers, took them and same thing. I even googled about frers thinking they must have switched the control and test lines because my test line was much darker than the control line. Had my Hcg done at what was 4weeks 6 days and it came back at 18,762, which explains why my lines were so very dark. I just produce a lot of hcg it seems.

Good luck to you!! I would have loved twins!

She was confused as to why we were doing an ultrasound at all BC according to my LMP I should have been 4w1d yesterday. She said that was very early and we probably wouldn't see anything at all. The external didnt show a thing and she was about to give up with the internal until boom she finally found it.

So... Either my dates are wrong somewhere, my one baby is growing a Lil faster than normal, or there's 2 in there which is why its growing faster. Or I guess I could have mistaken implantation for my LMP. but it seemed like a regular period to me... And it lasted almost 7 days. I have spotted 3 times so far. I thought the first 2 were ovulation and implantation at first but my measurements don't make any sense for that Lol.

Who knows?

How big was the sac? Interesting! So many waiting games, huh? It's like an endless TWW.

Oh, okay, so 4w1d but measuring 5w1d. That would be confusing! I'm sure your next ultrasound can't come soon enough.

Oh lol sorry made sense in my head haha I just meant it seemed odd to me that she would throw out twins based on an hpt popping up quickly. At that gestation it should pop up quickly/only surefire way to know is by scan.

Looking forward to your update! And wishing you a healthy pregnancy! Twins are fun though so who knows!

Well how pregnant you are is conception date + 2 weeks. So if you ovulated a couple of days after your period ended then you could be earlier... or it could be identical twins. Remember 2 weeks pregnant is the day you conceived, so everyone is 'pregnant' for 2 weeks before they are pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->