why did you choose to bottle feed?

The thread title is "Why did you choose to bottle feed?" Personally I don't think it's right for people to come in and tell us why you chose to BF or it's benefits etc. I don't go into the BF forum and answer threads about choosing to BF with why I personally found FF the better option for me......

I actually started out with breastfeeding, and I really wanted to do it. Grady was doing so well on the boob, but we had issues with him projectile vomiting... He seems to have a lactose intolerance.
We had to switch him to a lactose free formula, and he's fine now! So that's why we're using bottles!

The thread title is "Why did you choose to bottle feed?" Personally I don't think it's right for people to come in and tell us why you chose to BF or it's benefits etc. I don't go into the BF forum and answer threads about choosing to BF with why I personally found FF the better option for me......

I agree... weren't these seperate sections made so that bf'ing people couldn't push bfing on people... and vice versa? I kinda feel like a couple posts in this thread are a bit pushy...

These sections are supposed to be safe and supportive to the methods we chose to feed our babies.

^ Yer exactly.

Because Vickie replied I didn't want to bring in the heavy :lol: but I'm watching it x

Think if anyone does and they get snapped at its their own preaching fault ;)

Thanks everyone, some really interesting answers!

I breastfed my first two, 1 for a year and the other for 3 years. Since they are 18 months apart, truly, there was only approximately 6 months that I had a break from breastfeeding between the two.

So, when pregnant with Chase, I was contemplating bottefeeding but thought I'd breastfeed for a few weeks. After my C-section, which was stressful, Chase was put to my boob to latch on but didn't after 5 minutes or so. Because I was stressed due to the operation and the things that went on, I told the nurse that I would be bottlefeeding.

Now, I had already been going in that direction anyhow. My kids are at school and 1 is not in for full days so I am back and forth 3 times per day. We run our businesses from home so have employees in and out as well. There were many, many reasons for me and bottlefeeding was more suitable for my third baby and it's been easier as well. I don't regret my choice.

I had a pretty traumatic c-section-4 hours afterward we tried the boob and LeeAnne wouldn't latch on-we tried for 2 days and she still wouldnt! So with all the stressed of my crappy labour experience I was getting extremely depressed and decided to switch to formula! Best decision I made-it works well for our lifestyle!

I BF for the first two months but switched to bottle feeding because I was exhausted and stressed. Im glad I tried it but Im also glad I switched. She got into a better routine with feeding and started to sleep through.

Yeah breastmilk is good for babies but so is having a sane and awake mother.

With number two I think ill do the same, however with two LOs it might be even more exhausting!

i have 3 confirmed gnerations of breast cancer and due to this the genetics doc and cancer dcs advised both me and my sis NOT to breast feed even though they now say it can reduce the chances.

i'm not going to risk going against what i have been told and it doesnt really apeal to me

That is interesting that they told you not to bf... Did they say why? Im only curious because like you said, bf is said to reduce your risk...

I bf for 6 days and couldnt cope with it, it played havoc with my moods, and, having bipolar disorder, it was safer for me and Chloe to FF. She thrived and I stblised quickley so it was definitely the right desicion for us.

thank you for putting tht point forward vickie.. i read the thread wen it started and was going to reply until i saw some responses...

i too was hoping to breastfeed but luisa had other ideas.. she was jaundice and slept an awful lot so would not latch on.. i had no choice but to give her a bottle.. she had expressed breast milk for almost 4 weeks and occasionaly latched on (but never for long)

exclussivly expressing is hard and my milk started to drt up.. my breast feeding issues were one of the main factors i have developed PND and i was advised to stop as i was stressing myself out too much..

i would love to say tht i intend to give bfing another go with any future children but i honestly cant say i will considering wht i have been through.,,

one of the reasons i like this forum is because there is a dedicated section for formula feeding were i can expect to get advice without being judged or pushed on views of breast feeding..

a signature i saw recently said determined to breast feed and i just thought i hope to god you can because what i went through was hell..

i hope this post doesnt cause rows its just how i feel

thanks again vickie (and wobbs for your further comment)

xxxx

I attempted breastfeeding but found it so restraining. I couldn't believe the difference I felt once I switched to bottle feeding. It was the best move I ever made with this particular baby.

I was pressured to BF at the hospital beyond belief but all I can say with hindsight is with my 2nd baby I come fully armed!!!! I will decide what's best for us then. And to be honest, I may try to BF but will not fully commit to it unless it feels right for me at that time. I will see how I feel.

For me, Bottle feeding is convenient, perfectly good for baby and sorted out a mummy who was close to the edge. That is priceless, and exactly why I will champion bottle feeding til the day I die!

Phew! There... said my piece! My keyboard is smoking!

I never planned to BF, always FF. Had Archie and as he was really early I was told to express and give him breast milk. I was told that breast was best especially for preemies. So I did and gave him breast milk for the 3 months he was in hospital. Anyway, I made sure the nurses knew that I was intending to FF Archie at home so they made sure he was on 100% formula upon leaving. Reasons I never wanted to BF - it just wasn't me, I felt uncomfortable at the thought of it. I have to say that I now wished I had tried it and will do so with my next one.

I too felt that I was pushed into expressing but couldn't get out of it due to the situation Archie was in.

xxxxx

I started to breastfeed, but she wouldn't stay on for longer than 10 mins each side, and the MW was concerned she wasn't getting enough so we topped up. Now she has bottles for each feed and booby when she wants.

I ff because we struggled with bf too much. x

I tried BF while in hospital, but Jack just wouldn't latch on so the MW offered to give him a bottle (they had tried to help me for about 5 hours, but it just wasn't happening and i was tired after being awake for 20 odd hours). I never intended to breast feed for long anyway and was always gonna switch to FF.

2. Oh another reason, all my grandparents have had cancer and my nan had breast cancer three times before she passed away. My family seems to be full of illness and disease and I am partly worried that I would pass something onto LO through BF'ing him.

xx

Just to let you know, this would not happen. Disease etc is not passed through breastfeeding... And most information says breastfeeding can help prevent breast cancer.

If your family has a history of certain illness, it may or may not be genetic and may or may not be passed down whether you bf or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->