WHY did you get pregnant? *share your TTC story*

There are some great storys, some of you have been through so much.

I have always liked kids, but as I got older was never really bothered about having any of my own.
My hubby on the other hand would have had me waddling down the isle when we married 6 years ago :rofl:

Anywho, I hit 30 in 2009 and I think I had a bit of a midlife crisis and decided there was so much I wanted to do, and for some reason all of a sudden that included kids!:shrug:

We talked about it and one of my main reasons for putting it off had always been then money but I got to a point where I thought realistically no one can ever afford kids, you just make it work, so around our 5th wedding ann in May 2010 I stopped taking my pill, and we started TTC.

In Nov 2010, my friend told me she was pregnant, after a one off no protection night with her boyfriend, and my hubby was gutted.:cry: We had been trying for 6 months and nothing and yet she had one night and she got pregnant.

We had a few weeks of DTD pretty much everyday, made him feel like we were trying harder....but it didn't matter, turns out I was pregnant too.:happydance:

I actually didn't do a test though until 20th Dec....I was nearly 6 weeks. We had gone on holiday and AF was due in the first few days but it didn't come, I didn't think anything of it as I had been on antibiotics just before we went away and then malaria tablets whilst we were there, but in the 2nd week I had sore boobs and just felt different.

As we were in Goa, and didn't like the look of the local chemist, we had to wait until we got home to do a test.

So, we land at Manchester at 08.00 in the morning, and we were desperate to get off home, off course the luggage took forever to come, then we got stuck in traffic and everything just seemed to be against us....but eventually we got to the nearest supermarket and bought a test.

Now, hubby wanted me to go in the toilets there and take the test, :haha: talked him out of it and made him wait till we got home....we were like 10 mins away.

I got home, peed on the stick and actually gave it to him to hold as he was stood in the door way waiting for me and he saw the result before I did.

I could tell it was positive by the look on his face.:laugh2:

I still can't believe I am having a baby, I sometimes forget, and then baby gives me a kick to remind me it's there.......:blush:

I got with my oh february last year (we were friends before that) about 4 months in to the relationship, I fell pregnant unexpectedly whilst on bc. I told him whilst bawling my eyes out because we had 2 holidays planned, booked and paid for. But we sorted through that, cancelled all the holidays and put any other plans we had on hold. We sorted out living arrangements and got really excited for the baby until a few weeks later, I lost the baby. It was devastating as we put our baby before ourselves. It was then that my oh said to me on the night I miscarried that I should stay off bc and we should see how it goes. And a few months later I got pregnant. Now I'm 30 weeks pregnant expecting a girl and we couldn't be any happier.

Dh and I met when we were 14. We started "dating". I ended up going away to university because I was afraid that we might be together out of "convenience" or "familiarity". Turned out I was wrong lol and so dh came to visit me almost every single weekend for 5 years.

We got married 10 years later at 24. We started ttc right away. We had always talked about having children and since we had been together so long - we felt quite ready. Well it didn't happen for 4.5 years. We had to seek ferility help. I had a few surgeries and then we started ivf. Our first round was a disaster, as I was overstimulated (like a drug overdose) and I almost died (my body filled with so much fluid, it was crushing my internal organs - particularily my lungs making it almost impossible to breath) and as a result of the overstimulation my eggs were garbage - all 46 of them! I spent a week in the hospital recovering.

Finally we were lucky on our second round of ivf and $30,000 later. I had been crying for 2 days telling dh I was sure that it hadn't worked. When I did the test, I couldn't believe my eyes. I ran downstairs to tell dh, and he told me he already knew the results by the pace of my feet. We just sat there and hugged in silence. We were so happy and in so much shock. We can't wait for our miracle baby!

Not technically here yet but hey :)

We started trying in Aug/Sept 2009 after being married for 3 years... I had PCOS and my first two cycles whilst trying were 66 or 62 days, going up from my "normal" 14-21 day cycle... In Dec 2009 I talked with my doctor about possibly having endo and she said no I didn't, but then went again to another one in May 2011 as I was having such bad pain, and 6 weeks later, had the operation to have it removed, ovarian cauterisation (to try halt the PCOS) and a few other bits. I have about Stage 3 endo I think they found, and had the second op in September. Then I was finally allowed to try clomid. They put me on 50mg, and I got moderate hyperstimulation, ending up in hospital, and the next month on 25mg, I didn't ovulate at all, so they decided to give up as weren't able to monitor me for a few months (public funding waiting list). I was put on the IVF waiting list, and we gave up having 2 years to go til we'd get the IVF, and that month, well, I must have ovulated as I'm now 26 weeks pregnant.

It's been a nightmare pregnancy til 5 weeks ago really! At 4 weeks I had severe pains, which they thought was an ectopic, at 5-6 weeks my HCG literally stopped rising, and they told me I'd lost it, at 5 weeks I started spotting every day, then at 8 weeks I had a massive bleed from a hematoma, which repeated 6 times, with the last being the worst at 14 weeks. We had the Christchurch, New Zealand earthquake at about 11+5 which stressed me to the max, and whilst our water and power was still on, family was working long hours and I was stuck at home wanting to help (we live here). Then finally at 14 weeks I had the last big bleed and light beleeding to non-stop spotting til 21 weeks (so literally 16 weeks non stop bleeding or spotting). Oh, and at 17ish weeks we are pretty sure I had a small self healing amniotic fluid leak, but he is ok, and we are nwo here at 26 weeks!

That is a lovely story. A few years ago, I saw my GP because I was having really irregular periods (approximately one every six months!) and suspected that this was not a good thing. The doctor did some tests, including sending me for an ultrasound and said that I was 'towards polycystic', i.e. I had some degree of polycystic ovary syndrome. It wasn't as severe as it could have been, based on my blood test results, but I saw the ultrasound of my ovaries - they were covered in cysts! So a few years later, I said to my boyfriend (who I'd always been up front with about the trouble with my periods and my long-held believe that I would struggle to conceive) that if we wanted to have a family, maybe we should stop using protection as I probably wouldn't conceive naturally anyway and doctors wouldn't consider us for fertility treatment unless we'd been trying for at least a year. We had been together for nearly three years at this point. I feel rather foolish now, because instead of 'doing things properly' and taking folic acid and stuff, I was absolutely convinced that there was no way on earth I would conceive. I ignored the fact that I didn't have a period for two months, even though they had regularised slightly. It was only because I was going to take a tablet to get rid of thrush that I thought 'hmmm, maybe I should just check.....' and did a pregnancy test, which to my surprise came out positive. Four days later I miscarried the baby. It was a horrendous experience - I now know that I was about 10 weeks pregnant at the time. This was back in May 2009.

Fast forward to September 2010. On 4th September, boyfriend (who had officially become fiance after he asked me to marry him the day after the miscarriage - we'd already discussed it the previous week, then the next day, literally, got the positive pregnancy test results and had looked at rings at the weekend - he was going to ask me officially on my birthday a few days later but thought this an appropriate time, and I agree with him actually.) and I became husband and wife! Forgetting yet again that it had not taken long to conceive the last time (we had been very, very careful since - that wedding dress was tight, there was no way I could fit a bump in it!) we decided that after the wedding we would ttc. I suspected that it would take a while because, erm, I'm OLD! Well, I was 29, so not that old, but anyway..... We were a bit more organised this time and decided it would probably be a good idea to take some folic acid, just in case. I was still shocked though, when a month after the wedding I hadn't had a period and was holding a positive pregnancy test!

I could hardly believe it and although we were very pleased, I was slightly terrified at the same time, primarily because following the miscarriage I'd had previously, I was convinced I would lose this one as well. Sadly this worry followed me most of the way through the pregnancy - I didn't relax about it until 24 weeks.....

The week after the positive test, I started getting some light brown spotting. Went to the early pregnancy clinic for a scan. It was horrid. As I was only six weeks pregnant, they tried to use a transvaginal scan, but I was so tense and crying as I was convinced the foetus had died and that I was miscarrying, that they just couldn't do it. The sonographer told me he'd never failed to get it to work before - see, having a man doing it really wasn't helping me!!!! So eventually they sent me down to the Maternity Unit to be scanned with the transabdominal ultrasound machine. I thought I was going to pass out with shock when after only about thirty seconds the sonographer smiled and pointed at the picture on the screen - it was a little, pulsating blob. 'Do you see the heartbeat'. By this time hubby was crying too!

Having had another little scare later in the week, when there was a tiny bit of red blood, we had another scan the following week - was amazed that there was still a heartbeat, but the blob had metamorphosised into a little newt-shaped creature and was twice as long as the previous week. It makes me smile to think the first time we saw this baby (who I now think is huge!) she was 3.4mm long.....

Since then, the pregnancy has been reasonably uneventful. I hardly had morning sickness but suffered awful cramping through the first trimester and ligament pain through the second.

I can't believe baby is due in 2 days! She is due nine months and one day after our wedding :)

Mine's not much of a 'story' really! Me and hubby had decided back in 2008 when we got engaged, that we would like to try for a baby as soon as we signed the marriage cert!! I came off of the pill in 2008 to give me body plenty of time to get back to normal and we used other forms of protection until the wedding.

We got married on the 6th November 2010 and our wedding night was our first time without protection :) We got our BFP on December 20th.

I had a bit of a bleed Nov 23rd for a few days, so assumed that we'd not made a honeymoon baby, but our Valentines day scan put our conception a few days before my bleed.... :)

I loved reading all your stories. Many made me cry and a few made me laugh. I love this thread!

Mine is a pretty long story, sorry!

I have always wanted to have children. I met my OH almost 9 years ago when I started attending Stephen F. Austin State University to get a degree. We fell in love and moved in together. I was expecting to be done with college like most people in four years, then start my career and then have children. Well my parents had told me that they would pay for my school but after my first semester my dad divorced my mom after she had a mental breakdown (was in a mental hospital for awhile) and also became physically handicapped (not related to her mental problems). So I was suddenly without any money to pay for school, but I was determined to graduate so we slugged through but it took me 8 years instead of 4 because of financial problems!

By this time I was a bit panicked because I had always wanted 2-3 kids (but not close together) and my mom had fertility problems that led to her not being able to have any more kids after she turned 35 and I was afraid I had inherited her problems so my clock was ticking.

So last year (before I graduated) I started taking prenatals and planning on trying in a few months. My goal was to be pregnant when I walked across the stage. I almost made it.

The month I graduated we started ttc. I was sooooo naive. I knew nothing about charting, temps, ovulation etc. No one in my family ever talked about pregnancy at all and I stupidly assumed that it was like all the t.v. shows where someone wants a baby, then gets pregnant and then has a healthy baby 9 months later after some mild discomfort. Knowing what I do now it was amazing that we got pregnant the first month of "trying". We were so excited when we saw the test! It was amazing that we would be parents! :)

I was so excited and wanted to tell everyone immediately, but OH and I decided to wait a bit so we could come up with clever ways to tell our families. When I was 7 weeks we decided to go shopping for the first time for baby stuff! We went to the bookstore and each bought a book about pregnancy (he got "What to get when your wife is expanding" which is hilarious). Then we went and bought some baby clothes and ran into a friend at the store and I was dying to tell him but since we had agreed to tell certain people before others, we didn't say anything. After we got home we ordered a bunch of things online, including a journal, some more books, some clothes and other things. We started picking out cribs and furniture.

That night I went to the bathroom and noticed a bit of reddish brown when I wiped. Google quickly reassured me that spotting was normal, but by the next day the spotting had turned into bright red clots and horrible cramps. The next 10 days were the most painful (physically and emotionally) days I have ever had. I couldn't believe the baby we were already talking to and loved was dead. I just laid on the couch the whole time and cried. I remember being angry at my body for betraying me and angry at myself for being so naive and thinking everything always ended up roses and angry at my family for never talking to me about how things could be. (I later found out by subtle asking and sneaky inquiries that both my grandmothers had miscarriages, my mom had miscarriages, my aunt had a miscarriage and even my twin sister, who I THOUGHT I was so close to, had had 4 miscarriages, yet no one had ever told me anything and I thought and felt I was all alone! ) I think this society should talk about things like this more and that it shouldn't be such a taboo subject, but that is for another thread, haha.

We only told a few very, very close friends about our loss, mainly because it was obvious something was wrong with me when they stopped by and such, but since we live 4 or more hours from any family, our family never saw and we didn't tell them. I couldn't ever think of how.

I started looking up things about miscarriages and stuff and came across this site when I was looking for information about ttc after a miscarriage. It really opened up my eyes about the reality of pregnancy and what a hard time people have ttc and being pregnant. I started feeling guilty about feeling so bad when sooooo many people had much larger problems than I did.

Later I found out that while I was crying on the couch OH had packed all the baby stuff away and for the next few weeks he intercepted the mail so that I never had to see any of the baby things come in, even though he was just as crushed as I was. I love him so much!

We decided to start trying again and the first month went by and even though my hpt was negative I knew that at least I COULD get pregnant, so was not bothered too much. Since we were ttc I ate and drank and did everything like I was pregnant (except the week I had my period, then all bets were off!)

I learned so much on this site so I THOUGHT I knew when I was ovulating and since we had friends over that weekend and didn't dtd and only had sex sometime in the few days before I was supposed to have my period on the third cycle and I got another negative test and then started what I thought was my period I didn't think anything of it. So for the next few days I didn't watch what I ate or drank. (I ate sandwiches, drank a little beer, had runny eggs, etc).

Then after 2 days my "period' stopped (sometimes mine starts and stops, so this was not abnormal) and on that same day OH surprised me by bringing home lots of beer. I had an extra hpt test in the back of the drawer and thought "I better check just to make sure before I start drinking heavily" I poas and carried it and laid in on the kitchen counter while I grabbed my first beer and was opening it (I KNEW it would be negative again, like it had been a few days before) and SURPRISE! 2 LINES! I was so surprised I just looked at OH (who was right next to me with his beer) and said something stupid like "I'm pregnant" (even though I had always wanted to tell him in a clever or romantic way!). He was shocked as well but extremely excited and happy.

Needless to say I threw the beer out (OH drank his to celebrate, of course). I was extremely nervous now that I knew how many things could go wrong. I refused to shop for anything baby related (I knew I would jinx it because of the last time I shopped for baby things) and I didn't want to go to the doctor (I was taking my prenatals though). I finally went to the doctor when I was 8 weeks (past the time I had my miscarriage) and saw a heartbeat and a babyish looking blobby figure. It was beautiful!

I still don't feel "safe" and worry over the smallest things and have become a bit over the top paranoid about things like what kind of shampoo I use, what kind of mattress I buy, what I can and cannot eat, etc. but I have also had a wonderful pregnancy and cannot wait to meet our LO in a few days! :)

Thank you for this thread and all the wonderful stories. Sorry mine is so long!

OH and I have been together since 1999 and we'd been talking about TTC for a while, OH wanted to be financially ready and married before we TTC (just his view not a judgement).

In 2008 we got married and we left it a year before we decided to try. I came off the pill and the next day we found out OH had been made redundant. We decided to hold off and used condoms. OH was out of work for 6 months and then (thanks god) he found a good job, we waited until he'd been made permanent and we made the decision to try properly.

We started trying in Oct 2010. I was charting/temping OPK's/BD'ing on the right days etc

On New Years Day 2011 we got the bad news that OH's grandmother had passed away. In Feb 2011 my grandmother passed away, turns out the day she died was the first day of my LMP so never going to forget that date.

Sex had really been the last thing on our mind during end of Feb and beginning of March but something made me do a OPK on 9th March in the morning, it was positive. OH and I BD'd that night and that was the only time that month that we had sex.

Later that month I started feeling different and was 3 days late for AF. I thought I'd do a test on the Saturday night but couldn't hold off and did it Friday evening without telling OH.

There was a faint line.

I ran down the stairs screaming for OH sobbing, he was really concerned and tried to get me to tell him what was wrong and I managed to blub out "I'm pregnant" I think he was in a bit of denial and suggested we got another test while we went shopping the next day, I said screw that and made him go and get one that minute that I could do the next morning.

5.30am on the Saturday I got a strong positive and here I am now almost 15 weeks :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->