Why do people buy jars?

It's okay, I'm not judging you for your obvious need to have approval from complete strangers *pats you on the back*

Go ahead....Keep making your fresh, pesticide-rich meals from scratch. :winkwink:

While you're at it, why don't you sing 'Kumbaya' & knit a scarf to sell on Etsy.

I spoiled my baby to death with home made food to the point she would not eat anything that came from a pouch/jar EVER! Was a right pain in the butt at times. Thank God she's over a year old now so I can just feed her anything when we're out and about.

I did exactly this! I don't have any problem with jars or pouches if my bloody child would have eaten them :dohh:

I just went to the supermarket and was looking at the baby food pouches and thought of this thread! LOL. I got "ellas organic strawberries and apples" it was only $1. where as strawberries are like 3$ a pound, and apples 2$ a pound and honestly that is all that is listed in the ingredients on the pouch (oh and lemon juice). I opened it and gave it to Naomi to play with (She spits anything that isn't milk out.) as I expected she wouldn't eat none of it, and then decided she liked playing with the other side of the pouch. I ate the rest of the puree.....

Yeah, but a pound of strawberries last for many more meals than a pouch does :winkwink:

In this house, anyway!

Yeah, but a pound of strawberries last for many more meals than a pouch does :winkwink:

In this house, anyway!

Yeah, maybe when she is actually eating them and not spitting it out they will be worth it.... but then again she might not even see the fresh strawberries because OH will eat them as soon as they pull in the driveway! LOL.

The issue I found with pouches/pots is the consistency is very mushy and not that flavoursome. So perfect for the early stages of weaning but not great for older children as they dont develop a more mature taste and acceptance of other textures . I made the mistake of not introducing enough whole finger food and my daughter was very picky over textures until 13 months old! I cant tell whether this was down to my parenting or whether shes just a picky eater (still is) but I am going to not use so many pots/pouches with my youngest. DD1 was about 14 months before she actually enjoyed eating fruit that wasnt puréed!

To me it just seemed like the original post was one of them where it was obvious it was going to turn into a debate . Maybe not ...just my opinion . I also agree though that the pouches are a very mushy which is what I used and only really good for early weaning . My LO wouldn't eat the pouches for 7 months on either but luckily then she started eating my own food which saved me a lot .

I have used jars since i started weaning (16 weeks due to reflux) as if i had to buy all the ingredients to make the variety of meals i can give dd it would cos t me a fortune and yes, to be honest for convenience. LO LOVES her food, even goes "num num num" when she likes something-- she didnt do that when i gave her mashed potato and gravy or mashed banana that was home made so she definately prefers the taste of jars.

I also give her some snacks now that she can eat herself, i have just got some organix biscuits and crisp things. She also eats fromage frais ( loves it) and we have moved on to lumpier food as she was taking chunks off biscuits and chewing them! I have tried toast but she doesnt seem very interested so i will stick to my jars as i know she is eating and enjoying :)

This is a genuine question not to cause drama. But why do some people spend a fortune buying jarred baby food when you can just blend up some veggies or baby led wean and give your baby what you eat?

I spend 70 odd pounds a week on food shopping. No way could I justify then buying a load of jars as well!

We use jars along with home made food. For us the reasons are:

1 - Quick and convenient when out and about
2 - I don't actually see it as spending a fortune when it's 12 for £6
3 - I never bought jars when LO was first introduced to solids as yes, pureeing home cooked food is very easy and cheaper. But now she's older and on lumpier food, sometimes it's hard to get home cooked food to the right consistency when they're in the "middle ground" stage of weaning.
4 - Whilst I'm happy to give DD lots of finger food and "BLW" style foods, I'm not prepared to deal with the mess that comes along with full on BLW.
5 - I work full time and DH is a SAHD. He does a brilliant job and jars are easy for him to use. I batch cook meals at the weekend to put in the freezer and he uses those as well, but if we run low on those then he uses jars. As much as I explain there is a big difference between gagging and choking, he just can't cope with DD gagging on food as it terrifies him so he doesn't have the confidence to give her finger food when I'm not around.

I have absolutely no problem with DD having jars (she has them probably 4 lunches a week). She has home cooked food the rest of the time so I see no problem with it.

Probably already been said in the pages of responses but I got some freebie jars with both kids. With DD they were emergency food. DS on the other hand will not eat homecooked food (well except his gran's custard, and as thats powdered it doesn't really count) at the moment, no fruit no veg but will eat almost anything from a jar. Having those freebies around has been a real help but now its costing us a fortune and I'd really prefer DS to eat some homemade stuff (not just for financial reasons obviously).

I thought of this today when I saw on twitter a top chef uses Ella's kitchen pouches for his lo.
Even I (a jar user) thought this was unusual!

The other day I was sitting waiting to see someone about my health insurance (loooong wait I wasn't expecting), and I hadn't eaten any breakfast so I got the Ella's pouch I had in my purse and ate it.:blush:

Luckily it was the strawberries and apples and tasted so dang good. So I guess it my case I also use them as emergency food for me!:haha:

We used at the beginning of weaning, but now, LO refuses and wants our food! (on a personal note, I am eating so much more healthily now!)

best wishes

The other day I was sitting waiting to see someone about my health insurance (loooong wait I wasn't expecting), and I hadn't eaten any breakfast so I got the Ella's pouch I had in my purse and ate it.:blush:

Luckily it was the strawberries and apples and tasted so dang good. So I guess it my case I also use them as emergency food for me!:haha:

:haha:, I've done this. My DD didn't want her Sprout multi-grain cereal with berries and it was a day old, so I would have to trash it. I decided to taste it and I finished it off. I still have several pouches of plum organic red lentil veggie. I've heated it up and ate it for lunch.

:haha:, I've done this. My DD didn't want her Sprout multi-grain cereal with berries and it was a day old, so I would have to trash it. I decided to taste it and I finished it off. I still have several pouches of plum organic red lentil veggie. I've heated it up and ate it for lunch.

My father in law finished off an organix tray meal of Dd's last year, said it was really nice (well with some seasoning added). We hadn't realised she was about to by struck with norovirus, bringing grandad down with her :haha: poor grandad hadn't even seen her that day, he just decided not to let the meal go to waste when he got home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->