Why do people buy jars?

Breast milk IS low in iron. Very low in fact. The baby uses their reserves up until 6 months and then it starts to deplete so introducing solids is advised. I will just have to see how it goes I guess

Their iron stores don't suddenly run out at 6 months, that's when they start to deplete. As for bm being low in iron, this is true. But the iron that is in bm is absorbed and utilised very, very easily so there is no need for it to contain more iron than it already does.. The reason why formula is fortified with so much iron is because its not absorbed as easily. Some doesn't get absorbed at all:flower:

Jars are just ready meals for babies.

Some people buy ready meals for themselves, some people cook from scratch, some people use a combination. I couldn't justify buying grown up ready meals or baby ready meals on our budget when I'm a SAHM so I cook from scratch.

Same here but aparently that makes me judgemental.

I honestly don't know where people get that from. Saying you make your baby's food does not make you judgemental. Saying you make food for your baby and then turn around and tell people who buy food they are lazy for doing so would be judgemental. But you didn't say that; I don't think anyone did! I don't know why you're being referred to as judgemental in this thread, tbh.

I honestly see some things on here that make me say "do people really sit around and think about this?"

I honestly see some things on here that make me say "do people really sit around and think about this?"

Well um, yes actually. People do. Sometimes it's interesting to hear why people do things the way they do. If it doesn't interest you don't respond to the thread.

Yes, people actually have random thoughts from time to time. If anyone doesn't then they are probably a robot.

touche...seriously people need to lighten up on here!

I can see how this could be a genuine question.

I guess-from my point of view-there are so many uppity moms on this site that say "I puree my foods from scratch and I look down on you for using jars bc UGH IT'S JUST FILLED WITH CRAP AND IT'S GROSS I wouldn't DARE feed my child that" so I assumed it was another one of those-which is my bad :flower:

So i commented on another thread saying that I don't buy jarred food (because I think they're full of crap)...and that apparently also makes me judgemental! No, it makes me...someone who doesn't buy jarred food. I don't see the point of it to be honest. It's really expensive when you add it all up!!! I've bought one or two as emergency back ups but she has refused to even entertain the idea of eating them so they can't taste very nice! My sister fed her son jars and tins, so I assumed that was the norm I think, until I had my own!

My LO has 1 weetabix for brekkie, so one box of 24 will do us 3 weeks if it's just her eating it (and she has it every day, which isn't always), then she has what I'm (or the childminder is) having for lunch (usually bread, ham cheese, tomatoes, fruit etc) and then her dinner is usually whatever we're having (or actually more likely to be what we had the night before) or I do her some quick boiled veg and pasta with sauce, or scrambled eggs etc...basically I don't see the need to buy jarred food!

iron in breastmilk is very easily absorbed much more than in any food. its not about quantity its about quality

I wouldn't use jars or pouches all the time (and really the contents of both are the same despite the pouches being foil etc) but they do have their uses. Two of mine who had allergies and reflux issues, they were useful at first to gauge what was suitable food wise and what wasn't. If I bought a jar or two of such and such fruit or veg and they came out in a rash halfway through the second jar it wasn't really a problem whereas if I made an ice tray full of the said fruit or veg and the same thing happened it would be a big waste. I also lived in an area of relative food poverty back then and we only had a corner shop and a rather poor smaller branch of Morrisons nearby and had no car. Jars weren't really any more convenient and carrying them home was heavier than carrying home some fruit and veg but there wasn't the decent quality fruit and veg available-the fresh fruit and veg selection in the supermarket was awful and the frozen one they had a few varieties of mixed veg and nothing else. Xx

Breast milk IS low in iron. Very low in fact. The baby uses their reserves up until 6 months and then it starts to deplete so introducing solids is advised. I will just have to see how it goes I guess

Their iron stores don't suddenly run out at 6 months, that's when they start to deplete. As for bm being low in iron, this is true. But the iron that is in bm is absorbed and utilised very, very easily so there is no need for it to contain more iron than it already does.. The reason why formula is fortified with so much iron is because its not absorbed as easily. Some doesn't get absorbed at all:flower:

WSS^

Who's on their high horse? I certainly aren't. I never said there was a problem with jars. Not once. If you can quote me somewhere that I said so then please do. I simply asked why people chose jars over mashing your own meals or baby led weaning. Show me somewhere in the forum rules that state's I'm not allowed to ask questions like this.

If people want to use jars for convenience, fine!
They need to use them because its all their baby will eat, fine!
They want to use a mixture of jars, blw and purees, fine!!

I was asking a question and I got my answer! So why do people insist on turning the thread into something its not?!

I never directed my post at you at all, you quoted me.
Awfully defensive for someone who posted a question, you must know not every reply ties in with what you think? But I digress.

There is a massive number of new mums who were never taught cooking skills, at least jars are there as a fall back for people like this.

Who's on their high horse? I certainly aren't. I never said there was a problem with jars. Not once. If you can quote me somewhere that I said so then please do. I simply asked why people chose jars over mashing your own meals or baby led weaning. Show me somewhere in the forum rules that state's I'm not allowed to ask questions like this.

I was asking a question and I got my answer! So why do people insist on turning the thread into something its not?!

Awfully defensive for someone who posted a question, you must know not every reply ties in with what you think? But I digress.

There is a massive number of new mums who were never taught cooking skills, at least jars are there as a fall back for people like this.

I wasn't taught how to cook and I had my first child aged 17 but didn't need to fall back in jars. But there we go. What does it matter. Were just going round in circles!

Pouches are amazing for travelling. So easy and LO just ate out the pouch haha.

Breast milk IS low in iron. Very low in fact. The baby uses their reserves up until 6 months and then it starts to deplete so introducing solids is advised. I will just have to see how it goes I guess!

And after my lovely daughters (DD1) EXPLOSIVE disgusting poo this morning, I once again thanked myself for using disposables. Had great pleasure holding offending nappy out at arms reach and dumping in black bin ;)

Here's a little information about iron in breastmilk.
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

I started off puree food and it worked out well, until the seasons changed and a wide variety of fresh fruit and veggies wasn't available. In the end, my LO hated the pouches and pureed food and just wanted to eat off my plate. I tasted the some of the food and it wasn't good, so I understood.

Thanks, I am in no hurry to wean this time round. Was a novelty first time but the simplicity of just giving milk I am enjoying!

I wasn't taught how to cook and I had my first child aged 17 but didn't need to fall back in jars. But there we go. What does it matter. Were just going round in circles!

So because you didnt no one else does or should? Lovely attitude.

So because you didnt no one else does or should? Lovely attitude.

Hmmm did say that?? Nope.

Come on people...back off now before it REALLY gets turned into something that is incredibly stupid to fight about!

Come on people...back off now before it REALLY gets turned into something that is incredibly stupid to fight about!

that was the jist of my comment...it's like hmmm what shall we fight about today??? Oh Jar baby food!

I think people need to get a grip and lighten up. I didn't take offence to the OP's post but some of the subsequent attitudes that have come out are a different story..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->