Why do some of us want names that are not popular?

I have a Harry - and although he is the only Harry at his nursery, I work with 6 women who also have Harrys.

But theyre not as special as my Harry - mine is a Harry Dragon!!! I think giving him a nickname has made him an individual. You ask him his name now and he says I Harry Dragon!

I dont want 4 of the same name child in its class at school!

Also we are deciding not to tell anyone, we dont want people using it before we do!

xx

Being brought up with an unusual name I want the same for my children, shame dh doesn't agree.

The only thing I have always said is I want it to be traditional, preferably Irish (he won't go with that :hissy:) and it has to be spelt the traditional way.

We have found a name we both like and although it isn't unusual I don't think its in the top 10

Me and hubby chose Roman because we wanted our son to have individuality. I went to school thinking i would be the only Kylie in my class and guess what? There was 3 others. I hated it.

We had pretty much decided on the name "Sophia Hope", until I read this Australian baby name site and found the name "Aditi". I think it is very sweet, and it means Freedom.

I might go for that name in case it is a baby girl I am having.

My own name (Amy) was shared by four others in my school, and I always wished I had a bit more exotic name, or at least something a bit less common. But when I was a little girl I used to read books with heroines named Amy, and had a great time imagining myself in their place. So it wasn't all bad. :)

For a boy, we are leaning towards David. Classy, simple and strong. I would have liked a bit more exotic name too, but then DH and I both love David so much that we will probably go with this. :)

I think as well that kids are much less likely to be lumbered with nicknames if there aren't a whole bunch of peope around them with the same Christian name.

I think because people say, oh you called him/ her 'so and so' that's common. Who like their child being called common! But it seems to be a new thing. My child is called Kayden and people go yuk, Kayden, Aiden, Brayden etc even though 6 years ago it was unheard of when i named him, but how many Stephes, David, Daniel's etc do you know??
Striving to be unique when really when it comes to names i don't believe there is such a thing. Names will be heard and used. To have a unique name would have to be one that people don't like and don't want to copy such as moon unit or bench foot and other crazy 'celebrity' names.

It doesn't really bother me, we knew Hannah was a popular name but we just really liked the name :)

I must say I chose My daughter Lily's name 6 years ago when it wasnt so popular! Her name is actually Lily May. Luckily there are no other Lilys in her class or around the same age as her at the school, all the Lilys seem to be in the nursery or toddler sisters of older children! It becaome very popular AFTER i named her:dohh:

I 'm not at all keen on 'names of the moment'. I chose Leos name because I wanted something inbetween classic and cool, lol, Leo fitted the bill for us!

I think people want their children to be different, special and unique and for their name to reflect this. However, I often wonder why parents choose a more popular name then change the spelling. All it leads to is for the child having to correct people every time it's spelt wrong. Some people also might perceive it as parental ignorance i.e. 'they're so stupid they didn't even know how to spell their child's name'. This is not my view but I've heard people talk like this on several occasions.

My name is unique - Steveland..

still had problems with people

1) Asking me what I like to be called, Steveland or Steve. I reply Steveland and they reply Ok Steve *grrrrrr*

2) Almost like people don't believe that's a name, so I end up being called Mr Steve Land

3) And it's not hard to pronounce either, Steve + land = Steveland. The amount of people that couldn't pronounce it.

I feel like nowadays though everyone is trying to have a not so normal name, so there won't be a million kids with the name Amy or Daniel in the class.

Thanks everyone for answering! :D

I kind of wanted Claire to be unique, but I didn't want to go over the top with a weird (to me) name or really much with the spelling.

I like classic names. We were so stuck trying to think of girls names, and I'm a huge LOST fan. I didn't name Claire after the character on LOST, but it's definitely where I got the idea for it from!

I guess I am just against names that just look like they are spelt wrong.

I think it's kind of an over the top approach to having a unique name.

Honestly, i just dont want my child to have the same name as everyone else, i think it looses some of its "magic" iykwim?

I know of one other little girl IRL called Brooke but she is 5, and when she was born and i heard her name i just fell in love with it and it was always a contender for me, it beat of some of the more popular choices with a big stick :lol:

I must say I chose My daughter Lily's name 6 years ago when it wasnt so popular! Her name is actually Lily May. Luckily there are no other Lilys in her class or around the same age as her at the school, all the Lilys seem to be in the nursery or toddler sisters of older children! It becaome very popular AFTER i named her:dohh:

I 'm not at all keen on 'names of the moment'. I chose Leos name because I wanted something inbetween classic and cool, lol, Leo fitted the bill for us!

My sisters name is Lily May and she is 6! :thumbup:

I wanted a special name for my special princess that no1 else had. I would be devasted if I saw someone else using it on here on in RL.

Honestly, i just dont want my child to have the same name as everyone else, i think it looses some of its "magic" iykwim?

I know of one other little girl IRL called Brooke but she is 5, and when she was born and i heard her name i just fell in love with it and it was always a contender for me, it beat of some of the more popular choices with a big stick :lol:

I love Brooke and Meadow!

There are 2 James' in my boy's class and he is known as James.W. :dohh:

My DD Elizabeth, is the only Elizabeth in the whole school and it's such a classic name!! (IMO) but people these days just want to shorten or make variations of names...Libby, Lizzie and these are becoming names in their own right.

I don't understand why someone would call their child a name, and then not use it...:blush: example...... On my first Midwife visit after having James, she came to our home, took James from me and asked me how 'Jamie' was doing?? :hissy:
I plainly pointed out that his name is James and if i had wanted him to be called Jamie, thats what i would have named him!! :rofl: she got the message and James has never been called anything else since...

Now that i have climbed down of my soap box....(don't know where all of that has come from?) I like Old and Traditional Names, but not too popular... right now we have Darcy for a girl, :cloud9: and i love Henry for a boy. George is ok but there are far too many where we live. and Harry too....

I wanted a special name for my special princess that no1 else had. I would be devasted if I saw someone else using it on here on in RL.

For the record, my OH was looking at my Facebook the other day and saw in the right hand column pictures you had of Meadow, and was like "Meadow... that's an AWESOME name!!!"

:)

Just because its more special IMO if its rarer but saying that every name i like is Common!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->