• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do we complicate cloth nappies?

Also problem I came across, there just arent any terry nappies here, most use muslin which I think isnt even half as good. I have some Little lamb fitteds and other aio and pockets. It is hard to get it terry types here because for some reason a lot of online shops in the UK dont send to Germany..

Oh I see, I wonder if terry flats are not as trim as the American type. Ours are birdseye, not terry. Very trim. Muslin seems too thin really though. I sometimes forget when other people say flats it may not be the flats I use!

I find cotton terries are much bulkier than bamboo terries, which I find really slim fitting - far trimmer than most nappies which use inserts, as the absorbency is all around instead of concentrated between the legs.

Agree with op.

We did cotton diapers and got a few one size covers and I made some wool covers .

We use the same detergent we so to wash our regular laundry . The diaper get a hot rinse and long wash another rinse and get thrown in the dryer .

I never understood modern cloth diapers , it seemed ridiculous to me to spend 39 dollars on one diaper that I have to wash specially hang dry. And have a special wash routine for and most of them don't even hold up for one kid when all the elastic and Velcro and such wears out .

Traditional diapers are the way to go

Agree with op.

I never understood modern cloth diapers , it seemed ridiculous to me to spend 39 dollars on one diaper that I have to wash specially hang dry. And have a special wash routine for and most of them don't even hold up for one kid when all the elastic and Velcro and such wears out .

I so agree! They just can't be beaten, and are so simple!

Agree with op.

We did cotton diapers and got a few one size covers and I made some wool covers .

We use the same detergent we so to wash our regular laundry . The diaper get a hot rinse and long wash another rinse and get thrown in the dryer .

I use the same detergent I use on the rest of my clothes on LO's nappies, just less of it. They get a wash (40 or 60 degrees) and two rinses, same as yours, and I hang all my clothes as I haven't got a tumble drier (though at my Mom's I have popped them in her drier on cool).

And the only nappies I've ever spent $39 (>£20!) on are a couple of custom made pretties, worth every penny! The rest I bought preloved, on special offer, or even full price they weren't that much! Funnily enough the only nappy the elastic seems to be going on is one of the fitteds, the poppers and elastic on the others are fine, even the ebay cheapies I spent £2 each on.

I think you're right, you don't understand modern cloth nappies. ;)

Each to their own, but don't think those of us who do enjoy AIO, pockets, pretties, etc, are just uninformed about the greatness of flats. It's just what suits each person.

I used them with last baby. I loved them. I did a lot of research though. I want to use them with my next pregnancy. They were definitely easy to use.:thumbup:

I don't think I could have used them years ago! They seem easier now from stories I hear my aunts tell.

Agree with op.

I use the same detergent I use on the rest of my clothes on LO's nappies, just less of it. They get a wash (40 or 60 degrees) and two rinses, same as yours, and I hang all my clothes as I haven't got a tumble drier (though at my Mom's I have popped them in her drier on cool).

And the only nappies I've ever spent $39 (>£20!) on are a couple of custom made pretties, worth every penny! The rest I bought preloved, on special offer, or even full price they weren't that much! Funnily enough the only nappy the elastic seems to be going on is one of the fitteds, the poppers and elastic on the others are fine, even the ebay cheapies I spent £2 each on.

I think you're right, you don't understand modern cloth nappies. ;)

Each to their own, but don't think those of us who do enjoy AIO, pockets, pretties, etc, are just uninformed about the greatness of flats. It's just what suits each person.

Here people do pay that much for them if you include the price of the insert (30 not 39 typo ) and on the cloth pages here the "approved " wash methods they recomend include multiple washes with different detergents , combinations of borax , calgon, oxi clean ect. And many of them have more issues with their diapers than I've had because the synthetic fabrics don't come clean or they have leakes from worn out pul or elastic . I can only comment on what I've seen . But I think that some of the modern cloth diapers are more cute than practical. to each their own though. Of you like them and it works for you that fine

I think there's a place for all kinds. We most use cotton pre-folds but have some aoi's and pockets that we like for going out and for overnight. If I had to have one or the other, I'd stick with pre-folds but I like using both.

Can I change my answer, I've turned into one of the crazy $30+ diaper lover, not only for the pretty colors and patterns, but because hybrid fitteds with a wool cover are bulletproof for my LO.

She hit the age where velcro was way to simple to pull off, and it makes such a satisfactory noise, and mom chasing a naked bum around the house is great fun...so I completely 're stashed, sent the snap pockets to my mom, and sold all the velcro.

Also, for all my crazy, I have an awesome stash of diapers, no naked baby, leak and blowout free, and DH can manage :winkwink:

It's simple supply and demand, surely?
People wanted nappies to look more like 'trendy' disposables so created the AIO, it didn't dry quick enough so they came up with the AI2 and the pocket. They needed more absorbency so the two-part MCN was born, but they liked their pockets so they started looking at different fabrics to stuff with. (I mean I don't know the timeline of MCN creation but you get the idea).
Choice is great. I initially started looking into cloth when Lucas was a baby because the bright, pretty nappies appealed to me. Then I did research and saw how easy it all was. I've never liked flat cloths or wool covers so I'd never have looked into it if that's all I knew.

It's confusing at first but no more so than any other purchase/choice you have to make with a new baby. I'm sure I wasn't the only expectant mother sat there with reams of information, trying to decide on the best option.
Basket/cot/co-sleep/side-sleeper? Baby-led wean/traditional/4 month/6 month/finger foods/purees? Wrap/SSC/mei-tai/stretchy?
I guess disposables are one of the few things that aren't that difficult to decide on, but I (personally) didn't find cloth nappies any harder to make a choice about than anything else. Particularly when the internet is full of helpful ladies armed with advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->