Why doesn't she??

pinkneon

Birth mommy xx
Reaction score
My princess is 12 weeks tomorrow actual age, but 7 weeks corrected age. I have just been reading about what a 6-7 week old baby should be doing ... And she doesn't do ANY of those things. Why not??? Is there something wrong with her?? I'm worrying now because I know that all babies develop at different rates but it worries me. When she has tummy time she doesn't lift her head at all, she doesn't make any noise apart from crying (by 6 weeks babies usualliy start cooing). She doesn't smile at familiar people. Infact she doesn't smile much at all - all her smiles are windy smiles, but it said hat by 6 weeks a baby should be smiling with their whole face. She doesn't react to noises - like rattles or bells. She does just about what a newborn doesn - eats and sleeps ... I'm freaking out that there might be something seriosuly wrong?? Does she need to see the doctor? Ok, so maybe that sounds stupid but I have no idea, and I'd rather take her to the doctor for no reason that for there to be something wrong with her ...

I wouldn't panic just yet and throw out the book telling you the milestones as preemies follow their own rules and she will get there in her own time.

I can remember panicking at 3 months because my lo would only lift her head enough to suck on the mat but she got there in the end.

If your still concerned in a few weeks ask the HV for some advise.

Why can't she do these things? Cause she can't, not yet, anyway.
Chuck the development book out the window. Seriously, if you really need a guide, use it very very loosely. Preemies do things when they want, not cause some author person says so.

Alex has army crawled until a few months ago, now she crawls like a normal baby would, this only happened about 3 weeks ago. She did it overnight. She's 21 months!
According to these books, Alex should have been doing this say.....a year ago?

We asked neonatal what she was up to. They were in hysterics at her own lil way of getting about. But they simply said, "it's her way" :shrug:

Erikah might decide to lift her head in a few days, weeks or even months. Whatever happens , they get 'there' in their own time, wherever 'there' is. :)

Can I just say though, Alex never did ANY of the things you have mentioned until she was months older corrected, and never ever coo'ed! But it all happened at once. One thing leads to another sometimes!

Agreed. There are no 'whens and shoulds' with Prem babies.

My Joseph has just started crawling properly. He used to crawl with his left knee, then use his right foot, and kinda hobble along. Joseph is 16 months.

I must admit, he laughed at a very early age, but this indicates the difference between all prem babies. You can't follow guide books.

Everything will fall into place eventually, but it does take time and I appreciate it can get worrying.

Chin up.

Like the others have said, don't worry. I used to look at what baby 'should' be doing but now I've learned she will just do things when she is ready. Poppy has only been smiling for a couple of weeks tops and even now its only a couple of times a day, but she is getting there and making progress in her own time :)

Do you have Early Intervention where you live?

It's a program for babies with developmental delays (mostly for preemies) a physical therapist comes to your house to work with your baby (for me it's once a week for an hour) to help them to catch up to where they are supposed to be.

It's a program for babies with developmental delays (mostly for preemies) a physical therapist comes to your house to work with your baby (for me it's once a week for an hour) to help them to catch up to where they are supposed to be.

I'll look into it ... Though she was only 5 weeks early so not sure how behind she is ... She's in f/c at the moment ... Will ask them to check it out ... I know the HV hasn't mentioned it though ... But she is going to have physio to help her turn her head ... They have said they don't know if she definately needs physio ... If not maybe they will suggest the Early Intervention? She doesn't lift her head either ...

i have been worked up so so many times coz hv keeps saying that Cam isnt reaching his milestones. they have told me he could be blind/deaf/disabled/has a squint the list goes on!! Cam never smiled untill he was ten weeks old yet he could roll over. he refused to make eye contact untill he was 8weeks old yet tried to stand up. he has just started to make noises (beside crying) untill a few days ago and even then its just occasionally. he wasnt prem but the way i see it was he had a rocky start so is entitled to take his time doing things. i will start to worry if he is a toddler and still not coming close to milestones. try not to stress, if there is any problems they will be diagnosed when Erikah is much older :hugs: try not stress xxx

ps she is gorgeous, look at that smile!!! :)

wantabean congrats on the wedding hope you shear some pics with usly 6 weeks .
@ op tbh i have not purchased a developmental milestone book, i thought i would do myself a favour cause i would just stress myself an set unreasonable expectations for my son jmo
your beautiful daughter is only 6 weeks please enjoy her and forget about this milstones for now

yeah i def will post some. cam is too small for a kilt (they said it would look like a tutu coz his nappy lol) but he is getting a pair of tartan trousers made and a lil shirt so will def need to post them :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->