Why don't children get 'chipped'

Isn't it living in paranoia if you are depending on a tracking device to ensure the safety of your child though?

Isn't it living in paranoia if you are depending on a tracking device to ensure the safety of your child though?

Maybe so, but unfortunately, the world isn't as safe as it used to be.

I honestly don't think the world is any less safe than it ever has been tbh, there has ALWAYS been crime and evil people. I don't know why, it just doesn't sit well with me at all and I would never consider using one.

I honestly don't think the world is any less safe than it ever has been tbh, there has ALWAYS been crime and evil people. I don't know why, it just doesn't sit well with me at all and I would never consider using one.

You are probably right but the fact is, we are now so much more aware of crime and evil people than we were before and this does add to paranoia but i don't think anyone should be looked down on because were that little bit more over the top about protecting our kids? & i think, for those who don't agree, if they had experienced the fear of a missing child, they would perhaps change their mind, i am referring to the idea of a bracelet only the parent could track, not a chip. I'm not sure, however bad my fear was, i could do that but a bracelet? Hell yes. :thumbup:
It would just change so many problems, missing children, kidnapped children, especially in cases where children are taken by other family members.

I'm not concerned about kidnapping in the slightest.
I think a GPS type of device on a pre-verbal toddler would be a great idea if you were out in the wilderness for a hike, at a fair or large gathering of people, or in any kind of shopping mall. It does not replace parental vigilance, it simply another layer of security that could be extremely useful in any of those situations.
So for me, this is not a paranoid choice. Nor is it some huge shocking violation to suggest that this be an easily available technology. Again, I am not talking about a chip under the skin, I am talking about a removable device.
I doubt I would go to the trouble of sourcing one out for myself, but if they were more widely available, I certainly would consider using one for my one-year old. And that doesn't make me paranoid, that makes me careful.
Declaring that microchip technology is the start of the slippery slope to the loss of free will? That is paranoia.

I think you can choose to live in paranoia and fear of "The Man", or you can choose to embrace or disregard possible technological options as a safety tool. As long as there is choice involved (and I'm sorry, but I'm going to go ahead and "violate" the human rights of my toddler if means keeping them safe, so I am talking my choice here), and the technology is not replacing proper risk assessment or impeding the development of important coping skills, I don't see why the idea of a chip bracelet is akin to the establishment of some 1984-dystopia.
"The Man" can find you no problem through anything from your mobile phone to your participation in social network sites. Why choose GPS technologies as being this big bad technology? It's not rational to embrace one, but vilify the other.
And just to clarify again, I am talking about a removable chip device here - a bracelet like the one smokey was describing, not something inserted into the skin.

And it's that perception of encroachments being small and harmless that allows changes to slip past unnoticed and unchallenged. Until we're all ID'd at birth and are tracked everywhere we go until we die...

Those encroachments have been happening for years. Why choose this one as being over the line? That's where I find the strong reaction against this type of technology sort of irrational.

I'm not concerned about kidnapping in the slightest.
I think a GPS type of device on a pre-verbal toddler would be a great idea if you were out in the wilderness for a hike, at a fair or large gathering of people, or in any kind of shopping mall. It does not replace parental vigilance, it simply another layer of security that could be extremely useful in any of those situations.
So for me, this is not a paranoid choice. Nor is it some huge shocking violation to suggest that this be an easily available technology. Again, I am not talking about a chip under the skin, I am talking about a removable device.
I doubt I would go to the trouble of sourcing one out for myself, but if they were more widely available, I certainly would consider using one for my one-year old. And that doesn't make me paranoid, that makes me careful.
Declaring that microchip technology is the start of the slippery slope to the loss of free will? That is paranoia.

This is what I have been refering to, its not so much the case of getting kidnapped its the other things that can happen.
If a child gets seperated its very likely that child will panic and could run off even further trying to find their parent, in that time they are scared, could run into a road, get further lost or get themselves into any number of dangerous situations, that is alot more likely to happen then a kidnaping.
If somthing can help you find your child quicker therefore reducing the time and chances of them getting further hurt or scared I dont see how that is a bad thing

Oh and you dont need to source them out realy, they are on sale at chemists over here as a little teddy badge :)

I think we live in a fear driven age and that is the crime of our times.

The picture I posted was not meant to offend, sometimes I feel like people actually want to be offended. I actually posted it out of humor.

I think we live in a fear driven age and that is the crime of our times.

The picture I posted was not meant to offend, sometimes I feel like people actually want to be offended. I actually posted it out of humor.

We do, unfortunately, but some of these fears are well founded, :(

I think you can choose to live in paranoia and fear of "The Man", or you can choose to embrace or disregard possible technological options as a safety tool. As long as there is choice involved (and I'm sorry, but I'm going to go ahead and "violate" the human rights of my toddler if means keeping them safe, so I am talking my choice here), and the technology is not replacing proper risk assessment or impeding the development of important coping skills, I don't see why the idea of a chip bracelet is akin to the establishment of some 1984-dystopia.
"The Man" can find you no problem through anything from your mobile phone to your participation in social network sites. Why choose GPS technologies as being this big bad technology? It's not rational to embrace one, but vilify the other.
And just to clarify again, I am talking about a removable chip device here - a bracelet like the one smokey was describing, not something inserted into the skin.

And it's that perception of encroachments being small and harmless that allows changes to slip past unnoticed and unchallenged. Until we're all ID'd at birth and are tracked everywhere we go until we die...

Those encroachments have been happening for years. Why choose this one as being over the line? That's where I find the strong reaction against this type of technology sort of irrational.

Sarah, I find you so spot on with your posts! :thumbup:

I think a bracelet or something isn't the worst idea. It would only need to be used if the child was lost so it's not taking away any freedom.

I like the bracelet idea. My daughter already wears a medic alert -- it would be nice to have it combined somehow???, and since she has autism, she can wander, so it would be peace of mind. The school lost her several times last year too, so I think they would probably like it too.

Nurserys "miss placing" children is actualy alot more common then anyone would realise.
I cant give to many details as it could get someone in alot of trouble but I know of a nursery where one of the toddlers slipped out the door without anyone seeing and because of a parent leaving the security front door open the child got outside, luckely she never got further then the play area outside as they had another security gate around the playground but it took them 15 mins of paniced searching to find her and 3 people got fired and there was alot of internal investigations yet it was hushed up and the parent was never told because the view was taken that the child came to no harm in the end so why worry the parent by telling them and bring bad publicity

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->