Why giving solids @4mths when it says everywhere @6??

suzan

Reaction score
I dont get it.

Why do some mothers feed solids at 4 months when everywhere I read it says 6 months is the best time??? :dohh:

I have also read that Starting earlier than 6 months can increase the risk of allergies, diabetes and obesity.

I weaned Seth at 4.5 months because milk wasnt doing it for him anymore and he needed something more. 6 months is recommended but I think a lot of babies are hungrier before then.

Seth stopped putting on weight and was getting a bit poorly, my HV was pushing on at me to keep BFing (I was as good as starving him for weeks probably because there wasnt enough there), he still wasnt gaining weight so I thought Id take it upon myself to give him solids and Ive never looked back.

Each baby is different.

xxx

I heard they are thinking of changing the guidelines back to four months? any truth in that?

Yeah they are changing it. 6 months is unrealistic for some.

I fed both of mine things like puree fruit and baby rice from about 4-5 months. The thing is the baby;s gut can process some food from that age it just cant handle gluten until 6 months. I think earlier weaning is far less traumatic to the baby than late weaning. Both my babies were hungry little things and i know few babies that have lasted until 6 months without any solids!! You have to follow your baby but my kids are perfectly healthy and i have never had any issues with them concerning feeding or eating new/ different foods. I think the medical stats are the result of more factors (ie what the parent is feeding them, amounts etc) than just the solids themselves. At the end of the day if it was proven fact that it was so damaging then the big baby food companies would never put 'from 4 months' on their jars...it would be corperate suicide!! ;))

I really think they should, Seth is still tinier than every other baby we know his age, he still looks teeny in his baby car seat and he's nearly 10 months and Im convinced it was because I should have weaned him earlier but HVs are so pushy about the 6 months thing. If they change it then they might not push it so hard.

xxx

It annoys me how every health visitor says something different. My health visitor asked me when Salim was 16 weeks old if I had started weaning him yet, I said no because he didnt seem interested yet. She said well you should get a move on he should be weaned by 19 weeks old.So I started him exactly 19 weeks and I must admit he is alot more contented. My nana had 13 kids and all of them were weaned by 12 weeks and none of them had allergies, alot of babies were fed baby rice from 4-6 weeks years ago too so I dunno really. I think you should just go by what your baby tells you.

My doctor advised 3-4 months...

In Canada we've already reverted back to 4 months... Ive said this a gazillion times, its nice to see the UK is finally following.

I was also advised by Erica's pediatrician to "wean" her at 4 months. And by wean, I mean a teaspoon or two of baby rice.. I think one thing I'm confused about is how quickly we are supposed to wean. Erica only made it to 3 meals a day around 10 1/2 months, and that is pretty much what I would considered weaned, but she still has bottles..

I think that each baby is different, and each mom knows their baby best, and should do what they are comfortable with. If a kid is starving they should have food, but if its just a growth spurt and they seem a little hungrier than normal, they can try waiting it out. But again, I think each mom knows their baby, and can make the best decision, regardless of what HV's or Pediatricians say..

i started katie at 11 weeeks. she was starving and i was feeding her for5 hours solidly in the evenings. i stuck to baby rice til 16 weeks and now she has homemade purees of basic veggies and fruits. you know when your baby's ready, poor little mite would have been starving otherwise!

I started at 4 and a half months, I knew she was ready because milk wasnt satisyfying her anymore.... and with her reflux, milk would always come straight back up!

My hv said 6 months is ideal but they advise to not go before 18 weeks... and thats what I did!!
She loves her food and so glad i did it :):)

every baby is different and some need food earlier then others x i weaned jack at 6 months but he was having tastes before then x

It depends with your LO i supose , ella was a very hungry baby so was weaned at 4 months yet Carly was fine with milk and was weaned at 6 months.

Its whatever the mother feels LO is ready , there is no right or wrong as every baby is different. However thats using common sence , you wouldnt feed a 3 week old solids :lol:

Lola's pediatricien advised me to start giving her some solids as she wasn't gaining weight at 4 months.

So I started on a few bits and I have to say things have greatly improved with her sleeping and weight gain.

I gave Tabitha baby rice just before 4 months (i think :dohh: ) because she needed it, she was feeding every hour and never contented. I think you just know when your baby needs extra food, no babies are the same you cant just pile them all in the same age group...

The whole system is screwed ... why advertise on the packaging for 4 months plus if your not allowed to give it until 6 months?

Clearly is such a big no no :lol:

I'll do whats right for Brooke

The whole system is screwed ... why advertise on the packaging for 4 months plus if your not allowed to give it until 6 months?

I know its madness... they say 4-6 months... but then in smaller writing if thats its not advised before 6 months but if you decide to then its suitable for before 6 months too :shrug: talk about conflicting info...!

I think that you'll know when they are ready. Hebe started reaching for our food at about 4 months. I was going to wait till 6 months as we havent had any issues with her weight or sleeping so I didnt feel the need to. But I kept thinking she seemed to be giving the signs that she was ready. So we started about 10 days ago and literally grabbed the spoon and shoved it in! She's really enjoying it so far!

I think it's unrealistic to put a specific time on anything with babies - they are all different. How can they hit a specific date and be ready! I mean what about those born early or late - how does that work.

Trust your instincts - if they seem ready and it's not before their digestive system is mature enough go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->