Why giving solids @4mths when it says everywhere @6??

I think that you'll know when they are ready. Hebe started reaching for our food at about 4 months. I was going to wait till 6 months as we havent had any issues with her weight or sleeping so I didnt feel the need to. But I kept thinking she seemed to be giving the signs that she was ready. So we started about 10 days ago and literally grabbed the spoon and shoved it in! She's really enjoying it so far!

I think it's unrealistic to put a specific time on anything with babies - they are all different. How can they hit a specific date and be ready! I mean what about those born early or late - how does that work.

Trust your instincts - if they seem ready and it's not before their digestive system is mature enough go for it!

:happydance: hey lisa :hi:

i agree, i think its best to go on your baby and the signs they show. maddi was weaned just after 6months as thats when she was ready. i just went by her, i was happy to wean when she was ready, if that was 4months or 6months i didn't mind x

I think that you'll know when they are ready. Hebe started reaching for our food at about 4 months. I was going to wait till 6 months as we havent had any issues with her weight or sleeping so I didnt feel the need to. But I kept thinking she seemed to be giving the signs that she was ready. So we started about 10 days ago and literally grabbed the spoon and shoved it in! She's really enjoying it so far!

I think it's unrealistic to put a specific time on anything with babies - they are all different. How can they hit a specific date and be ready! I mean what about those born early or late - how does that work.

Trust your instincts - if they seem ready and it's not before their digestive system is mature enough go for it!

:wohoo: :wohoo: good to see you sweetie :hugs:

I weaned my daughter at 4mths as milk wasn't enough for her.... As many have said... 'you will know when your child is ready for food'. All babies are different.

Yay!! Hi Lisa!!!!!!!!!!! xxx

I started weaning Faith at 16 weeks and Ollie at 18 weeks. You know when your child is ready. I don't listen to the weaning advice tbh, I go with my instincts, and luckily my HV was brilliant and backed me up when I decided to wean at 4 months x

i weaned maley at nearly three months!!!! She was having 8oz bottles and screaming for more, plus chewing her fists, moaning when we was eating so i guessed she was ready and she was!! She loves her food.....and for the record, she has put on 2lb a month steadily since (still classed as underweight for her age) so the obesity thing is crap!

I started max on solids at 3 months due to his reflux and by god it really helped :) anyway a mother knows whats best for here baby

I weaned my son at 4n half months because he was showing all signs he was ready! I didnt tell my health visitor when i started but when i took him to see her yesterday she said i can start weaning him now and i said, I thought i wasnt meant to untill 6months and she said 'oh we say anything between 4-6months!'

I agree with all the other mummys..you will know whats best for your baby.
We started weaning at just over 4 months because she wasnt gaining weight very well,she was always hungry and had started to imitate us when we were eating and once she started having some solids her weight gain improved and she was generally a much happier little girlie xx

I think every baby is different some can manage till 6mnths some need solids earlier.

Our pediatrician advised us to start David on solids, so we've tried the rice cereal on him. He could swallow it fine, but didn't seem to like the taste... lol, poor babe, the look on his face was priceless!

We didn't do until 6mo with my youngest, 5 almost 6mo with my middle...but almost 4 with my oldest...my first 2 did great with solids, my last did horrible and never ate until 9mo. BUT he was also the one that was exclusively breastfed, not even a single bottle...so I put it to that, he now is 18mo and eats like crazy. But if I had another we would wait until 6mo, there is a reason for the current recommendation...it is still the recommendation here....and there is research backing it up, and with my DH's family history of allergies I'll do what I can to reduce their risk.

It's funny how the guidelines switch back and forth. When I was a baby, my mom started me on solids around 3 months.

When my first two were babies, it was 4 months.

Then it changed to 6 months. However, because everything was ok with my first two and weaning at 4 months, I knew it would be ok to start Chase at that time too.

Honestly, you do know when your baby is ready. I've seen a drastic change in Chase from week to week. Yes, there were times when he just didn't want certain foods, but by trying him again a few days or a week later, he was more interested. Babies will let you know when they want something and when they don't.

It's just another thing to confuse new mothers I think!

When I had my booking appointment with my MW (8 weeks pregnant) the first thing she said to me was weaning is now 6 months! That was a MW!

My health visitor told me that she advises 4 months as they should be on lumpy food by 6 months to eventually help with their speech.

My 1st was weaned at 3.5 months and so was Daisy.

Daisy is now on lumpy foods and finger foods and progressing with that fantastically, I think that most Mummys know when their baby is ready for weaning, some are earlier than others.

I do personally think that around 4 months is a good age to start them, as they need alot more Iron when they hit 6 months and that sometimes isn't possible if you are just starting weaning, as mostly they are started on baby rice, and on that for a few weeks, so by the time you eventually get them on a varied diet they will be at least 7 months.
xxx

I believe weaning earlier rather then later helps with them being more willing to try new foods and let you feed them etc...

The info varies bettween whoever you talk to. My family doctor told me to start on rice cereal at 3-4 months. And I was just at baby group the other day and they have a HV available, I spoke to her and she was very much for bfing exclusively until 6 months... But she said that Jasmine would be fine, they all have their own opinion and things they have to follow.

I am contemplating starting to wean to extra smooth rice cereal for breakfast as he is already taking the amount of milk for a 6month+ baby (he's just over 3 months) and is only just lasting 4 hours...so to me thats the hint to start soon...

I started just before 3 months and Jasmine was fine :D

I believe weaning earlier rather then later helps with them being more willing to try new foods and let you feed them etc...

The info varies bettween whoever you talk to. My family doctor told me to start on rice cereal at 3-4 months. And I was just at baby group the other day and they have a HV available, I spoke to her and she was very much for bfing exclusively until 6 months... But she said that Jasmine would be fine, they all have their own opinion and things they have to follow.

Caitlyn wasn't weaned untill 6 months and will eat anything.

I got a letter the other day from the health centre inviting me to weaning classes ....

Brooke is only 3 months, if we shouldnt wean until 6 months do they really think im going to remember it all for another 3 months :rofl:

I'm glad that this question was asked. My baby is only 3.5 months and I am already having trouble keeping up with the amount that he needs to eat! I was questioning whether I was going to make it to 6 months with him. Probably not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->