why is a vaginal birth better?

T

tinytoes

Not taking the risks of c section into consideration. Why is it better for baby to be pushed out?

There doesnt seem to be any difinate evidence.

I'm due to split a lot because of a medical condition. It's a definate. I'm wondering if it's worth all the fuss when a baby can be taken out so quickly and easily with a C. I mean, I dont mind the recovery...But I dont want to be left with 100s of stiches down below...I've already had one op down there and look likea dogs bum...

I've been going around and around in my mind and shed a few tears and cant make up my mind.
And if I take the eay way for mummy does that make me a bad person?...oh cripes, sucha decision. Doctor doesnt understand - he just says - ahhwe'll see...

you are not a bad person for having a c section. if you have a condition that will cause you pain and wounds and a c section is suggested to you, or you feel would be better for you- what is wrong with that? Both my brother and I are c section babies and there is no difference between us and anyone natural birth baby. i think its really silly that there is so much guilt on a mom to be about having a c section. i dont nec agree with electing to have one just because, but if you have a valid reason esp a medical one, i really think there is nothing to feel bad about.:hugs:

but if you have a valid reason esp a medical one, i really think there is nothing to feel bad about.:hugs:

thanks. I guess I just worry because it would be possible for a regular birth - I can have epidurals etc and be stitched up....but it just sounds a bit of a pallava when I could just pop in, cut and pop! Out comes baby.
One doc even suggested I have a regualr birth - she said I would cut (actually she didnt say cut she actually made a nasty cutting sound with her mouth...which was slightly off-putting) but said "hey, you can have an epidural.."...like that was all there was to worry about - the pain. I also worry about what will be left afterwards.

I dunno...you're right there is guilt attached...it's daft!

Don't see c section as the easier option. Takes weeks to recover and you will still have sutures then. I would not put my body through a major op if I did not have to. But you should not feel guilty if that is the better option for you and your baby.

There is evidence that the hormones releaced during labour stimulate the baby to breath. Some studies show that babies born by c-section are more likely to have breathing problems. I've to decide what way to go with my next one. I'll be offered a c-section as I had an emergency one before and, while I've not decided one way or the other (ages away yet!), if I choose a c-section I'll insist on waiting until I go into labour first.

if I choose a c-section I'll insist on waiting until I go into labour first.

oh i didnt know this was an option...so this might also encourage the breast milk? hmpp...something to consider here. Thanks.

I would never say you're a bad/weak/selfish person for opting for a c-section.
I mean. You have a medical condition and I can fully understand your point of view.
I was chatting to a midwife the other day and she was telling me these days both ways have their pros and cons.
For example a c-section is a major abdominal surgery. It takes weeks to recover.
With vaginal birth women don't always go back 100% to what they were like before hand... you know.. down there. Sometimes they only go back about 80%. There's always that risk.
She told me she's seen very little difference in the health of the babies born either way. The only thing is that with vaginal birth the baby starts breathing on their own whereas with a c-section they sometimes need a hand. It's got to do with them being pushed through the birth canal. That apparently does something. I can't remember.

I think vaginal birth pushed all the fluid out of their lungs, so once they are born they take a huge breath in expanding their lungs,
C section babies usually have to be suctioned and have alot of fluid and can also be a bit more dopey with the drugs.

I think vaginal birth pushed all the fluid out of their lungs, so once they are born they take a huge breath in expanding their lungs,
C section babies usually have to be suctioned and have alot of fluid and can also be a bit more dopey with the drugs.

Aaaah thank you hypnorm for putting into words exactly what I was struggling with lol :)

yeah, the fluid thing is right. v-birth pushes it out which is why c-section babies can sometimes be left coughing up red/brown stuff and scaring the begeezus out of their mummies. my aunties had 7 babies and she prefers v-birth coz of the recovery from c-section for mum and baby, but if you have a real medical reason you deff. shuldnt feel guilty! you need to be as happy and healthy as possible to be a good mummy to the new baby :)

thanks guys. it's all worth thinking about.
I've been told to go for a v birth but that I will split....jeeeze, that's enocuraging....I just dont know what to do....I mean, it might be all OK V -wise, I'll split but heal OK...but then it might not, who knows'!? No one.
I think I'll split at the 12 o'clock position, due to my previous surgery there....up towards the clitoris.
not sure what healing will be like.
Ah well, a few months to consider this. Thanks all.

Have a look at this web site www.caesarean.org.uk it has some good info on it.

i had a beautiful time when i gave birth, it bloody hurt like nothing ive ever felt before but it was a hugely natural experience and i felt so amazing afterwards...my friend has had 5 babies and has tried every birth option there is inc emergancy c sect, natural, drugs, home birth and her last baby was an opted c sec (cause she had an e-c sec before and didnt want to rish labour) and she said although she enjoyed the vbirth knowing when the baby was coming lifted a huge amount of stress...am not sure if this is helpful to you

I've had an emergency C-section with my first, a planned C-section with my second, and will be having another with this baby.

First of all, my babies never had breathing problems, the milk came in at the same rate as with a vaginal delivery, and the scarring was not bad at all. I have a scar just along the bikini line and it truly looks not bad.

The recovery time with my first was around 5-6 weeks but I think it's due to the fact that I was induced for two days prior and went through absolute hell.

The second time, recovery time was much quicker. I was walking around the next morning with my baby and on the 5th day when I went home, I even carried my 18 month old at that time as she was sick. The only downfall was that I had bronchittis.

You definietly should NOT feel guilty about having/considering a c-section! I personally really want to have a v-birth, but I had abdominal surgery last April and really don't want to have another one right around the same time this year...took me SO long to feel normal and be up moving around again..I just don't want to do that with Peanut here, 6 cats, a dog, a hamster and 5 aquariums to care for as well (DH only gets 1 week off). I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best one for the both of you.

Have you discussed with the doctor about the cut? I understand if they cut they help determine how you tear & how much. As well, perhaps with this they would be able to "clean up" how your previous scar looks. Just throwing something else out there.

When i had my daughter i tore and was stitched up.

They told me that i will probably tear again in the same place when i had my son but i didn't tear at all.

When you have any part of your body sewn up you produce scar tissue most of the time to toughen that area, so if you have had surgery in that area before it may be stronger than you think.

I personally wouldn't like to have a section, obviously unless it was for health reasons- it is major surgery and you are more prone to infection etc.

I'd talk to your consultant about it first

If you want a C-Section, have a C-section. Babies health wise, I'd say a C-section was better.

To be honest i think everyone is being told different, i have found this on other pregnancy topics.

During the birth of my DD i had shoulder dystocia and retained placenta, bled heavy and very traumatic birth.
On my 28 weeks consultant appointment with my son he told me i could have a section due to having so many problems during birth last time, but then told me that it certainly isn't the easiest option to go for as the baby tends to be more mucusy and have breathing problems because the "crap" isn't being pushed out during the labour in the birth canal.

I opted for a vaginal birth and everything was fine

You personally need to talk to YOUR midwife/ consultant as to what THEY think would be best for you personally.
Everyone on here have had different experiences and opinions but it doesn't mean to say any of them are in YOUR best interest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->