Why is ERF safer than FF carseats?

bump#1

Reaction score
May be a daft question but what exactly makes ERF safer than FF seats. My oh asked me and I'm not too sure of the answer.

When you brake sharply, your heads are thrown forward, which could potentially damage your childs neck, whereas if they are in a rear facing, their head will be thrown backwards and supported by the seat behind them...

...hope that makes sense. :flower:

Thankyou makes sense to me.
How old do they need to be before they can sit in a FF carseat.

Thankyou makes sense to me.
How old do they need to be before they can sit in a FF carseat.

To be honest, I don't really know when they (those who recommend ERF) deem it safe enough for them to forward face??

The general rule is that a child can forward face from 9 months and a certain weight (sorry, can't remember off hand).

I'm sure there's othere people on here who will know. My son has actually forward faced since he was about 13 months, but I think you can rear face children for a good few years (possibly up to 4?).

Hopefully someone more knowledgable about it will be along shortly. :flower:

In this country, the law is 9 months. But that is FAR too young/small. Rear facing to the age of 4 is the safest way to travel.

There's loads of information on https://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

Here's a poster with some info :flower:

Attachments

• rf.jpg
    rf.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 66
In the US, they recommend rear facing until age 2 or (I believe) 40 lbs. Supposedly they settled on the weight because the 99th percentile for a 2 year old is 35 lbs.
This has just recently gone up. The general suggestion before was age 1 or 25 lbs.

It's the law they have to be a year old and 20lbs in the majority of states. A few states are changing this to 2 years, though.

Watch a crash test video, it will change your mind about putting your child front facing. It changed mine for SURE. It can decapitate the child internally.

I'm not sure why it is, but I do know here in US its recommended to rear face until at least 2 years old because a child 2 and under is 75% less likely to die in an accident when rear-facing
Many car seat rear face longer than 2 years old depending on childs weight, look around for one that does

Here are some videos that show why it's actually safer to be RF :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

It's actually safer for everyone to be RF but obviously that isn't possible. The longer they RF the better. I turned my son at 3yrs old because no matter how tight his harness was he was a little houdini and was able to get out of it, so we made the decision that it was safer for me to be able to see what he was doing before he was out of his seat. My personal minimum would be 2yrs old. The recommendation here in the US is now 2yrs or outgrowing a convertible car seat-weight limit on them are 35-45lbs.

Hey we've decided to get a rear facing seat and have looked at a few online. I have a small car, a Peugeot 206. Does anyone know what make would fit this car? I'm going to get it fitted properly etc but wanted an idea so I can look at test reviews first x

Hey we've decided to get a rear facing seat and have looked at a few online. I have a small car, a Peugeot 206. Does anyone know what make would fit this car? I'm going to get it fitted properly etc but wanted an idea so I can look at test reviews first x

I have a BeSafe Izi Combi X3, and the booklet says it will fit in a Peugeot 206. It is best to go to a stockist to check it out as you may end up losing your front seat - ERFs take up more space than FFs. Having said that, I have a Renault Clio and I have plenty of space for a passenger in the front seat.

I watched the videos, that was enough to scare the shit out of me and go buy an ERF seat. They are expensive, but my peace of mind and knowing Holly is as safe as she can be were worth it to me.

Thanks ladies, those videos have just shivers down my spine. The reason I asked other that OH asking was my MIL took Finn from me yesterday and took him out - she put him in a FF carseat. I knew he shouldn't have been FF but I wasn't sure of the exact reasons why so I couldn't protest it when she told me what she'd done. Least now I can give her the facts :D

We have a 206 too, and have the Britax Multi Tech. :thumbup:

what about if someone crashes into the back of you when the baby is rear facing? surely that would have the same effect as crashing your car when they are forward facing?

it makes me not want to take him in the car at all!X

I have a BeSafe Izi Combi X3, and the booklet says it will fit in a Peugeot 206. It is best to go to a stockist to check it out as you may end up losing your front seat - ERFs take up more space than FFs. Having said that, I have a Renault Clio and I have plenty of space for a passenger in the front seat.

I watched the videos, that was enough to scare the shit out of me and go buy an ERF seat. They are expensive, but my peace of mind and knowing Holly is as safe as she can be were worth it to me.

I think ill probably get the be safe izi kid providing fits fine in my car. Seems the be safe seats have the best crash test scores. Theres no way I could get a ff one now I've seen the videos x

I think ill probably get the be safe izi kid providing fits fine in my car. Seems the be safe seats have the best crash test scores. Theres no way I could get a ff one now I've seen the videos x

They are great seats. Here's Holly enjoying hers!

Attachments

• SAM_1093.jpg
    SAM_1093.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 6
what about if someone crashes into the back of you when the baby is rear facing? surely that would have the same effect as crashing your car when they are forward facing?

If someone crashes into the back of you, your car and your neck will be sent forward in the direction their car is travelling in, so an ERF seat will still absorb most of the pressure on the neck whether you're hit from the back or the front.

I would think the majority of the time if you get hit from the back you aren't going to be going as fast and you aren't going to have the force you would if you were hit head on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->