Why isn't my Dr as cautious?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
This is light-hearted really, but a serious question underneath.

I have had 2 large babies - 1 9lb6 and 1 10lb14oz. Both of them I've had naturally at a midwife-led unit using only gas and air.

Now, on face value I agree with my consultant in that it's highly unlikely that a baby will get much bigger than my 2nd, so therefore the chances of complications in the birth of my 3rd are pretty low. I've been told no home birth just in case and at the moment I'm a no for MLU although this may change as my MW would be happy to sponsor me should I remain low risk. All good :thumbup:

However.....all I ever read is about people who've had similar sized babies in the past being offered c-sections, or early induction to stop baby getting 'too big'. I've had none of this lol. I kind of feel flattered but at the same time, an offer of a bit of help would be appreciated lol :blush:

Because you're superwoman!! :))))
No I get your point, I would have thought you would at least have been offered growth scans to check size of bubba?
Maybe mention it as a concern at your next appointment as they may have just missed it
Xx
P.s can't believe you're in 3rd tri already!!!!!!

Because you're superwoman!! :))))
No I get your point, I would have thought you would at least have been offered growth scans to check size of bubba?
Maybe mention it as a concern at your next appointment as they may have just missed it
Xx
P.s can't believe you're in 3rd tri already!!!!!!

I'm getting a growth scan, but I had one with Eddy and it failed to pick up his size (was predicted 9.5lb). I have it slightly later this time in an attempt to get a more accurate reading lol - however conisdering I had one on my EDD with Eddy and it still said 9.5lb I don't hold out much hope :dohh:

But, I get that because of my thyroid, not because of Eddy's birthweight :shrug:

I'm not quite 3rd tri yet, but v-day is next week which is crazy! lol

I'm not saying I want a c-sec or an induction, but an offer wouldn't hurt surely lol :haha:

Because you have a great Dr who trusts women, trusts birth and trusts you. More women need that.

I'd say the same as Kota ^^^

If you have already had two great births with big babies, your doctor/midwife knows you can do it.

Because you have a great Dr who trusts women, trusts birth and trusts you. More women need that.

I'd say the same as Kota ^^^

If you have already had two great births with big babies, your doctor/midwife knows you can do it.

True, I suppose I should be more grateful. I just hear it so often, I kind of feel like I'm being left out of the club lol. :blush:

id say ur dr not worried as u had last 2 naturally.

my first was a girl 9lb 3 this ones a boy.....so yeh he will be large :argh: i wont be having another lol they do tend to get bigger, but its unlikely ull have a 11lb+ x

Where are the women from who are told that, offering sections and early induction happens way more in the US than it does in the UK.

I've not heard of women being offered sections due to having large babies previously unless there were other issues (such as bad tearing, shoulder dystocia etc), at least not in the UK. My Ds was 9lb 15, considered "large" but only just. This LO has had various estimates, from 7lb 8oz to 10lb 8oz :haha: but my consultant said even if it is in the larger range that's no reason to consider a section :).
Maybe the ladies who have been offered a section are really tiny? I guess if a woman was under 5ft and really slim or over 6ft and more heavy set that could make a difference to whether her doctor would think she'd need a c-section?

I wish I had an answer but I'm clueless myself. I'm really curious though as to what causes large babies? Is it height of the mother or father, weight of the mother, or something else? I heard that diabetes and obesity can cause it but I doubt that is true for all cases. My fiance is 6"6 and I'm 5"10 and I'm terrified of how big the baby will be. Any ideas on what causes this?

I was measuring 3 weeks ahead and thought I might have a big bubs and asked if anything changes...

Mw said nope... unless I have problems during labour they werent gonna change anything ...

C sections one thing but she said having your baby early even tho theyre big doesnt mean theyre any more developed than a 6 pound baby so its not a good idea...

Good on you by the way... big babies naturally. .. u deserve a medal :)

I wish I had an answer but I'm clueless myself. I'm really curious though as to what causes large babies? Is it height of the mother or father, weight of the mother, or something else? I heard that diabetes and obesity can cause it but I doubt that is true for all cases. My fiance is 6"6 and I'm 5"10 and I'm terrified of how big the baby will be. Any ideas on what causes this?

Some people just have/are bigger babies. I'm 5ft4 and weigh about 10st. My Hubby is 6ft2 and weighs 14.5st. He's obviously taller but not overly heavy.

A lot of it can be guessed by previous birthweights in the family. I was 10lb5 and hubby was 8lb12, neither is small.

Being overweight makes you more pre-disposed to things like gestational diabetes and other diet related issues that can lead to bigger babies (*I was tested twice for GD with Eddy and both times was fine. I have another GTT booked for wk27).

I was measuring 3 weeks ahead and thought I might have a big bubs and asked if anything changes...

Mw said nope... unless I have problems during labour they werent gonna change anything ...

C sections one thing but she said having your baby early even tho theyre big doesnt mean theyre any more developed than a 6 pound baby so its not a good idea...

Good on you by the way... big babies naturally. .. u deserve a medal :)

I've gone over both times too so had been told by friends and family that I may be offered something around my EDD so it's an either or thing, but no, it's just a vicious rumour lol.

I don't deserve a medal. I just did as I was told. My hubby is the one who deserves the medal....he's been my birth partner both times and has suffered more than me at times lol. At least I get drugs and food lol.

Some times its just one of those things. Im 5"9 and overweight, i had a GTT which came back nagative. I followed slimming world while pregnant and lost weight and yet Niamh was 8lb 15 at 35 weeks.

My mum is 5ft 1, my dad is about 5ft 4 (!), both slim and 2 of my brothers were over 10lb. I'm the same as my mum, my DH is 5ft 11 and weighs less than 9 stone, our DS was 9lb 15 oz. No GD factors or anything. Some people just have larger babies, but often people say they are easier to birth due to gravity and having something to really push against! Having a large baby isn't anything to worry about :)

Alot of times they go more by head circumference than weight in the regard of c-sections and i dont think ive ever heard of someone being induced so the baby wouldnt grow

Thanks for your answers, I kinda feel like I hijacked the thread lol. I guess parents height and weight don't really account for much then and I will just have to wait & see. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->