why push for so long?

Blimey I hope that this second baby comes out as fast as some of your babies!

For my daughter, I pushed for 2 hours in every possible position - on my back, on my side, all fours, kneeling, standing, even sitting on a birthing stool. She eventually came out with me kneeling and resting my arms on the bed. I don't know how ladies can stay in one position for so long and push! And I'm surprised when some midwives don't get ladies moving into more natural positions to help.
Rx

Is there a better way in your opinion, anyone? I know often you have almost no choice and its up to your body and LO... but is it harder on your body to have a rushed pushing stage or a long one? (I don't mean too extreme either way) But I've heard that if its too fast, your body doesn't have time to soften/adjust and that can be problematic as well!

Is there a better way in your opinion, anyone? I know often you have almost no choice and its up to your body and LO... but is it harder on your body to have a rushed pushing stage or a long one? (I don't mean too extreme either way) But I've heard that if its too fast, your body doesn't have time to soften/adjust and that can be problematic as well!

my 2nd was too fast. She came out so fast my uterus apparently didnt contract back so I haemorrhaged. Was sorted so quickly that I wasnt really that aware of it at the time but could have been very serious if I had been anywhere but hospital.

my 2nd was too fast. She came out so fast my uterus apparently didnt contract back so I haemorrhaged. Was sorted so quickly that I wasnt really that aware of it at the time but could have been very serious if I had been anywhere but hospital.

I don't know your situation, but postpartum hemorrhage can usually be dealt with easily in a home setting. I hemorrhaged during my homebirth and the midwives treated it no problem.

First came out in twelve minutes, natural so no problems feeling when to push etc. Born partly in waters bag so that was neat.

Second took 2+ hours damnit! her hand was by her head so that is what the hold up was. Also she was in the bag while crowing but it burst before she arrived. Also natural.

I don't know your situation, but postpartum hemorrhage can usually be dealt with easily in a home setting. I hemorrhaged during my homebirth and the midwives treated it no problem.

Ah, it was just what the doctor said "lucky you were here!" (I lost over a litre of blood).
IF I had another baby I'm not sure whether I'd make it to the hospital!

I think how long it takes depends on if your instructed to push because your 10cm or if your pushing because your body is telling you to.

I think how long it takes depends on if your instructed to push because your 10cm or if your pushing because your body is telling you to.

Totally agree, the MW told me NOT to push until I physically couldnt stop myself, so it took 12 mins, otherwise it would have taken WAY longer

Ah, it was just what the doctor said "lucky you were here!" (I lost over a litre of blood).
IF I had another baby I'm not sure whether I'd make it to the hospital!

I lost over a litre of blood as well. Were you extremely cold and shaking? It was soooo weird! Yeah, midwives can do anything they can do in the hospital besides surgery so hemorrhages aren't a big deal at home. I wouldn't have wanted to give birth in my car on the side of the road though, that could have been bad!

I pushed 4 hours with the first and 2 hours with the 2nd.

It's not just "when" you do it - some babies are badly positioned, some mothers don't push effectively, etc. Mine were both big and in terrible positions (both dystocia babies, 2nd was back to back) and I was out of gas after an hour of pushing (2nd was home birthing without meds, pushing when my body told me).

And with that... I'm not interested in doing it again! hah!

I waited until I couldn't help but push and I was also standing (NOT the original plan!!) and it felt like I only pushed for 5 min!

with my son, i only pushed when i physically couldnt stop the muscles from doing it themselves. He literally fell out - The MW had to tell me to try and stop so she could check my cervix wouldn't damage if i did push there and then, Honestly even if she told me not to i couldnt have prevented it from happening by that stage he was coming like it or not!

My first tho i pushed for ages - they said it was because i was a horse rider my pelvic floor was too strong or some bollox. Although i think its more to do with the width of the shoulders. x

I pushed for 2 hours and 45 mins. My doula thought it took so long because the baby was facing my hip and needed to move with face facing my back. She finally came out when they put me on my right side with the left leg up on a bar. I tried squatting and other positions through the whole thing (she didn't budge) and the side leg lift thing was the only way to get her to move in the right position and move her out. Also, it was my first baby and my Dr. said first time mom's average about 2 hours pushing time. My labor was really long too and doula said it was because baby wasn't in the right position to put enough pressure on my cervix to dilate it. Who knows. Next time, if I do this again, I am going to pay more attention to how baby is positioned though.

I pushed for 6 hours. My pelvis is abnormally shaped though, and can't fit a baby through. I have known this since I was a teenager and had pelvic surgery, but the hospital wanted me to give a natural delivery a go. I had an episiotomy and failed forceps, then c section. There was no way she was coming out any other way, I certainly gave it a good go!!

I pushed for 1.3 hrs and had an episiotomy. I was pushing hard and when i took a breath lil madam would go back in a little bit more. Feeling her head and how close she was really gave me extra oomph though

Gosh by the 3rd I didnt really have a pushing stage lol she was born in three pushes!

Has a lot to do with body/pelvis shape, but more to do with position and gravity. One thing I have heard many MWs and some OBs say is that some women bear down and slowly bring the baby down through late labor without actively 'pushing'. Apparently it tends to help position baby a little better and speed up the pushing phase. Worked for me, my #1 was out in 4 pushed and baby #2 was out in 2 pushes. Talk to your MW about optimal positioning for you and baby as well as how you might consciously be able to work baby down as far as possible before active pushing (2nd stage) begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->