Why???......

Poppy7

Trained BF Peer Supporter
Reaction score
Why would a retailer sell everyday clothes for babies/young children that can't be washed and tumble dried :growlmad: It really bugs me! What's the point??? They're obviously going to get grubby, wet, stained and will need to be washed on a 30/40 degree wash and then needed the next day. Occasion wear I can understand but everyday clothes??? Just madness IMO!

Also, I bought 2 new bras on Saturday. Treated myself now that my daughter isn't feeding so much. They are just plain bras, no fancy lace etc etc. I washed and tumble dried one on Saturday and now I can't wear it. The padded part has deformed and will not sit in the bra properly. Low and behold I looked on the care label and it should have been hand washed and not tumble dried.....Why make an everyday bra that can't be laundered easily :dohh:

Its madness! All of my bras say hand wash only its stupid. Ive not come across any baby clothes that cant be washed yet though. I would probably find out when it came out of the washing machine!

Argh, I washed a gorgeous fair isle jumper dress of Lizzie's...it now is her baby's dress (toy dolly!)

Ditto Ally had a little cardigan...and it's now fairy sized.

Just WHY?!

Argh, I washed a gorgeous fair isle jumper dress of Lizzie's...it now is her baby's dress (toy dolly!)

Ditto Ally had a little cardigan...and it's now fairy sized.

Just WHY?!

Oh dear! Such a shame and a waste.

Little dude was bought a gorgeous romper when he was born. I washed it once and tumble dried it and could never use it again. I was so upset as it was so beautiful!

I know! To be fair, this is a big dolly...but not a toddler or almost toddler sized dolly. So gorgeous, too. I was in a rage.

Am jealous you can wear normal bras :haha: I'm still in nursing hammocks!

I have to confess that i do check labels before i buy things. I only use the tumble dryer in the winter so that doesn't bother me.
Hand wash things - i just chuck them in the washing machine on a wool/silk wash. My mum makes my two loads of wooly jumpers etc so i always have stuff that needs to be 'hand washed' so it doesn't bother me if its hand wash or dry clean only.
Basically if you want good quality clothes then you have to realise that they won't always be things that can be slung into the machine on a 60degree wash. Cheap clothing is usually man made fibres and therefore they go in the machine and dryer no problem usually.
I've shrunk a few things in my time. Usually it's because i've picked up an item and no realised that i had it.

I hang all of my shirts to dry anyway as I don't want them to shrink and almost always use cold water wash. The shirts always dry overnight, so if you take it out and hang it up the night before it would be good to go in the morning.

I have to confess that i do check labels before i buy things. I only use the tumble dryer in the winter so that doesn't bother me.
Hand wash things - i just chuck them in the washing machine on a wool/silk wash. My mum makes my two loads of wooly jumpers etc so i always have stuff that needs to be 'hand washed' so it doesn't bother me if its hand wash or dry clean only.
Basically if you want good quality clothes then you have to realise that they won't always be things that can be slung into the machine on a 60degree wash. Cheap clothing is usually man made fibres and therefore they go in the machine and dryer no problem usually.
I've shrunk a few things in my time. Usually it's because i've picked up an item and no realised that i had it.

Good advice, thanks Rach. However I wouldn't say it's just "cheap" clothing that can go in the washing machine/dryer. A lot of my children's clothes are from Next/M&S and they have some gorgeous items that are easy to wash and dry and don't require hand washing.

I would love to use the washing line more but my clothes always dry really hard (no matter how much softner is used) as my garden doesn't get a lot of sun. Any tips on how to avoid this?

I hang all of my shirts to dry anyway as I don't want them to shrink and almost always use cold water wash. The shirts always dry overnight, so if you take it out and hang it up the night before it would be good to go in the morning.

Only my quick wash is a cold wash and that's only 30 mins long so not really enough to get clothes clean properly. All the rest is done on a 30 wash. Is 30 not cold enough?

Good advice, thanks Rach. However I wouldn't say it's just "cheap" clothing that can go in the washing machine/dryer. A lot of my children's clothes are from Next/M&S and they have some gorgeous items that are easy to wash and dry and don't require hand washing.

I would love to use the washing line more but my clothes always dry really hard (no matter how much softner is used) as my garden doesn't get a lot of sun. Any tips on how to avoid this?

You're quite right. Basically anything 100% cotton can be rumble dryer too. I was more thinking about clothing with silk and proper wool things when I did my post. Quite often anything with lace on too can't be rumble dried either.

Iro drying hard-I don't use softener for anything so I really don't know. Have you tried not using it? I wouldn't say that any of my clothes dry hard. Possibly that may be down to how hot I wash my stuff-I'm not very eco friendly tbh-all whites get washed at 90, towels at 75, light coloureds at 60 and dark at 40. I wash my silks/woollies/delicates/hand wash things on either 30 or 40 depending on what they are. If I have got makes on the item that could stain I will actually hand wash it using tap water purely from the hot tap so it's much hotter than 30degrees.
You could also try not allowing the clothes to dry totally out on the line and finish them off in the airing cupboard if you have one.

I find the tumble drier always shrinks our clothes a little which is annoying. I tumble dry mine and OHs clothes when it's raining/crap weather but i always put LOs clothes on the clothes horse as she grows too fast as it is without me shrinking her clothes lol. x

I find the tumble drier always shrinks our clothes a little which is annoying. I tumble dry mine and OHs clothes when it's raining/crap weather but i always put LOs clothes on the clothes horse as she grows too fast as it is without me shrinking her clothes lol. x

Do you dry them in the dryer so they are totally dry? If so then it's a good idea to take them out while they aren't quite 100% dry - it's the last bit of drying that will shrink them slightly

I find this to be quite handy as my little girl is quite small :haha:

You're quite right. Basically anything 100% cotton can be rumble dryer too. I was more thinking about clothing with silk and proper wool things when I did my post. Quite often anything with lace on too can't be rumble dried either.

Iro drying hard-I don't use softener for anything so I really don't know. Have you tried not using it? I wouldn't say that any of my clothes dry hard. Possibly that may be down to how hot I wash my stuff-I'm not very eco friendly tbh-all whites get washed at 90, towels at 75, light coloureds at 60 and dark at 40. I wash my silks/woollies/delicates/hand wash things on either 30 or 40 depending on what they are. If I have got makes on the item that could stain I will actually hand wash it using tap water purely from the hot tap so it's much hotter than 30degrees.
You could also try not allowing the clothes to dry totally out on the line and finish them off in the airing cupboard if you have one.

Makes no difference if I use softener or not. So annoying! Think the main problem is the dry slowly in the shade. I often finish clothes off in the tumble dryer to soften them. My airing cupboard is useless! My boiler is new and very energy efficient so doesn't kick out a lot of heat!

Personally I find clothes from Next are the best for quick wash tumble dry and the stains seem to come out easier than other brands. I also buy M&S never had a problem doing the same with them either

I find that Matalan and bhs put do not tumble dry on all their clothes - even the 100% plain cotton stuff - so I just shove it in the tumble dryer anyway lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->