Will my bad credit stop us renting? Help

B

Belle25

Husbands credit is perfect. He earns the money, I'm a stay at home mum.
I don't know my exact credit score, but I got into debt 4 years ago and messed up my credit score.
I have to have a credit check even though I'm not the earner for this house we want. :cry:
I am worried we will lose it because of me.
Anyone been in similar situation?
Help! X

I think it has to be terrible for it to stop you renting, a poor one should be ok.

its got to show that you are not paying it off and only adding to it to make big impact. im sure it will be fine.

Will it help that husbands credit rating is perfect (it's 992 out of 999, with 999 being the best)
?
Thanks everyone. Pretty stressed as found a lovely house :-(
X

It shouldn't stop you. I don't have any credit (and I've heard that's sometimes worse than having bad credit) and we've always been able to rent even though they've had to pull both of ours.

The number the reference agency gives you doesn't mean anything

When you apply for credit each place has their own criteria they use which is nothing to do with the number the agency give you, so don't waste your mney obtaining yours

Lotsof people with bad credit are able to rent, I think it's more to check identity than anything else with letting

Just put the contract in your husbands name? Ours is although I now earn a considerable wage and he just does a few hours cleaning a week! LA's will use a different criteria when working out if you can afford the rent in addition to credit reports such as an income multiplier (£20k will go upto £700 a month say but they can be different) and also use the reports to make sure you can pay bill on time, number is irrelevant. I had an IVA on file when we took this contact out and whilst it was paid off a year previously it was done so early therefore still on my file and I was declined due to my then poor rating.

You won't have a problem - first of all, all they really look for is CCJs or bankruptcies.

Secondly, if your husband will be the one responsible for the rent, then they will basically ignore your check for the most part.

My credit is as bad as it can get, short of CCJs and bankruptcy, but because I'm a SAHM like you and DH works full time, we passed as a joint application. I was bricking it, but we move into a lovely house this weekend :)

You'll be fine - trust me :flower:

It will go against u. I had bad credit when me and oh private rented. He has perfect schore. I had to get a guarantor for me. I am a stay at home mum. All places are different

It shouldn't as OH had pretty bad credit due to running up an overdraft and credit card debt and he only finished paying it off just before we met and it didn't stop us x

It will go against u. I had bad credit when me and oh private rented. He has perfect schore. I had to get a guarantor for me. I am a stay at home mum. All places are different

You had to get a guarantor for the rent you're not responsible for paying? The system can't half be daft sometimes eh?

I'd like to not have my name on the tenancy agreement, but they are insisting :-(
Husband earns a decent wage (£50k) surely that and his good credits enough?
I hate waiting to know!
X

I'd say the odds are definitely in your favour. As in PP's case, there will always be some checks that are more stringent than they really need to be, but I think that those cases are in the minority.

Out of interest, are the agents doing the checks themselves? Ours employed a company called FCC Paragon and I know they're commonly used.

I'd say the odds are definitely in your favour. As in PP's case, there will always be some checks that are more stringent than they really need to be, but I think that those cases are in the minority.

Out of interest, are the agents doing the checks themselves? Ours employed a company called FCC Paragon and I know they're commonly used.

They are doing the checks themselves-does that make any difference? x

Probably not, I just wondered if they used the same company as then I knew you'd get through it ok. Hang in there - I know it's stressful! I could hardly eat for three days as I was convinced our checks weren't gonna come back ok. If it's done by the agents, then they'll probably just do the basic checks. There are only a handful of businesses who can see your full credit file anyway and these are all big financial institutions like banks etc. Others see a much less in depth file.

Let us know how you get on :)

We have terrible credit because we had to go down the route of voluntary repossession with our house - it became too expensive so was basically a case of handing it back to the lender to avoid eviction, and we got a rental no bother. However we were completely honest and upfront with the agent and said we would never pass a check. They were lovely and didn't even make us do the check that you have to pay for - they said there was no point. They went by what DH earns and our references. Hope you get the house :) x

Probably not, I just wondered if they used the same company as then I knew you'd get through it ok. Hang in there - I know it's stressful! I could hardly eat for three days as I was convinced our checks weren't gonna come back ok. If it's done by the agents, then they'll probably just do the basic checks. There are only a handful of businesses who can see your full credit file anyway and these are all big financial institutions like banks etc. Others see a much less in depth file.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks. Know how you felt. Barely eaten all day :dohh:

My credit score is classed 'Fair' with Equifax-just pulled my head out of sand to check it. It's actually alright. No nasty surprises thankfully.

Fingers, toes and everything crossed!

Thanks again :flower:
Xx

I'm sure you'll be fine. If they didn't rent to anyone with bad credit, we'd have a lot of people on the streets right now!

Number one, get something to eat :) And number two, try and occupy yourself until you hear from them :) Good luck x

You had to get a guarantor for the rent you're not responsible for paying? The system can't half be daft sometimes eh?

My ohs mum did it for me. And we was responsible for paying rent if ur getting at housing benefit paid cus they didnt

My ohs mum did it for me. And we was responsible for paying rent if ur getting at housing benefit paid cus they didnt

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear :) I meant it was daft to ask you for a guarantor when you personally weren't going to be paying any rent yourself as your husband would be paying it. Our agents told us that they wouldn't need a guarantor for me as my hubs was paying the rent himself. So it would make no sense to ask for a guarantor for me as my financial contribution was nil. My hubs earned enough to cover the rent and had a decent credit score - realistically, that should be enough. I think it was a bit harsh of them to ask for a guarantor in your case.

I am so rubbish at explaining things in writing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->