• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will they dismiss my job application?

Miss Vintage

Reaction score
I've found a job I'd like to apply for. It's less money, but closer to home, and with nearly 4 hours of commuting a day, could make a huge difference to my work-life balance. However, the JD states that having a degree is essential, and I don't have one. But I do have 10 years of experience in the field and am basically already doing the same job where I am. It's university admin, so not something you *need* a degree for. If I apply, will they just dismiss my application straight away for not fulfilling the criteria? Anyone in HR who could advise? Thanks :flower:

No I've applied for jobs that wanted a degree before because I had the experience and been successful.

Is there a contact number? I would try to call them and discuss it with them (prefably the manager not HR), often they will put in criteria like that just to be able to easily whittle out a lot of applications if they're expecting a big number but if they like the sound of your experience they may overlook it, although HR at my last job was very black and white (also a university) and would probably claim they had to stick to the criteria otherwise it would be unfair to other potential candidates who didn't apply as they were put off by the criteria (my old employer said something like that about the fact they gave me my last job as a secondment even though it wasn't advertised as one, they did allow it though) so I would try to speak to someone within the department, but either way I would definitely apply.

I doubt it. Every job I have had has called for a degree, which I do not have. I just got them based on experience.

Thanks everyone.

MarineWag, the only number they have is for HR. I suspect I could find a number for the department, but it's a fairly senior position (admin for the Dean), so I'd not want to run the risk of agitating them by not going through the proper channels.

I will apply anyway, but try not to get my hopes up. It's just I've been looking for a more local job for ages, and this really is ideal. We'll see.

I work in HR and 9/10 we will dismiss the application as it hasnt met the criteria, it depends who you get really!
There is always that 1/10 chance though that someone will get through and be successful.
xx

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. It's such a shame though, I am more than qualified for the job, it is nearly identical to the one I have been doing for the last 10 years, and in no way does it require a degree (my current job, I mean). Oh well, I'll apply anyway, it's worth a punt.

A degree to do admin?! Crikey. I don't even have my A levels. I'm dreading going back to work haha.

I would just go for it, life experience trumps most things.. in theory! Depends how black and white they are. My husbands dad works for a huge international company, right at the top level... but he isn't allowed the job title that the role previously held as he doesn't have a degree ! He fought for the job and they allowed it so long as he took a different title. Some people eh ahah

That's ridiculous Rhi. I agree, experience should go a long way to prove your ability to do the job, in something like admin, anyway.

I've noticed quite a lot of university admin jobs require degrees, I wonder if it's more to do with having an understanding of the higher education sector rather than the skills you develop from a degree? The last uni I worked for HR didn't sift through the applications we did, however if they didn't have the postgrad we required we wouldn't look at the rest of the application (but the postgrad really is necessary for our jobs) that's why I think it would be really good if you could put a covering note or something on yours somewhere highlighting your experience, I would definitely put it at the top of the free text space you have so they are drawn to it.

I've noticed quite a lot of university admin jobs require degrees, I wonder if it's more to do with having an understanding of the higher education sector rather than the skills you develop from a degree? The last uni I worked for HR didn't sift through the applications we did, however if they didn't have the postgrad we required we wouldn't look at the rest of the application (but the postgrad really is necessary for our jobs) that's why I think it would be really good if you could put a covering note or something on yours somewhere highlighting your experience, I would definitely put it at the top of the free text space you have so they are drawn to it.

Thank you. The application requires an extensive supporting statement, so assuming they get that far, I will major on it in the first line! It's funny, I work at a post grad uni, I could tell anyone anything they need to know about uni admin, I've just not got the degree myself!

Bold it! I would say something like "I understand you state a degree in the essential criteria but I hope you can consider my application due to the 10+ years of experience I have within higher education administration" or something along those lines. Maybe it's a guilt thing with the amount of graduates who can't get jobs unis are spewing out :haha:

I work in recruitment and it really does depend on the hiring manager and the HR team - I tend to find processes and expectations really do vary from employer to employer. The HR team may be personally sifting through the applications or they may be passed straight on to the hiring manager or in some cases, (especially given it is PA to the Dean), the current PA who is leaving may be responsible for going through applications. Can you try to see if the current (or previous) person doing the role is on Linked In too. You might even find out they don't have a degree themselves.

Personally, I would complete the application then follow it up with a phonecall to HR and have a chat with them regardless. If they hear someone who sounds great, friendly and very competent they are more likely to remember you and pass on your application to the hiring manager, sometimes even with a recommendation saying you had called and sounded good.

Good luck!!!

They probably will reject it but it's always worth a try.

As a body that get government funding they usually have to play it by the book and as someone has said it would be unfair to others in a similar situation to yourself who didn't apply.

It does seem an odd criteria though.

Good luck

Thanks MarineWAG and icklemonster for the suggestions, really good ideas, I will give it a go.

Love Cakes, I know, it is odd, especially as they are advertising an equivalent job (same grade, same JD, different department) but a degree on that one is only desirable, not essential. Sadly that one is part time so I couldn't afford to go for it.

Well, I'll let you know how I get on!

I'm assuming you'll have to supply a personal statement or cover letter? I'd probably just state on that that you realise you don't hold the required degree, however your extensive experience makes you believe you'd be suited for the job regardless.

Christ you need a degree for everything these days!
I saw an ad for a part time receptionist at a quiet hotel and they stated "this position would best suit a graduate or someone with the appropriate degree". Yes because people really go through years of uni and spend thousands of pounds to work in a crappy hotel reception! (It wasn't even a nice hotel!!). And those were essential requirements.

I saw another advert for someone to spend 3 weeks building flat pack ikea furniture up in someone's student flats. They wanted someone with 2 years joinery experience, For ikea furniture!

:wacko: that's crazy, hanni! Those crappy receptionist jobs usually pay a pittance too, that's not going to pay off the ol' tuition fees :haha:

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice - I got an interview!!! Now to try and calm the nerves.

Eeek well done!! When is it? Best of luck!

Thank you! It's on the 30th. I'm pleased, but nervous. It's been a looong time since I've done an interview!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->