Will you do it without an epidural for the second time?

I didn't have an epidural for my first baby but to be honest, I didn't cope particularly well and probably should just have had one. I was adamant I didn't want one though which is why I didn't. This time I'll keep a more open mind I think!

I didn't have an epidural for my first baby but to be honest, I didn't cope particularly well and probably should just have had one. I was adamant I didn't want one though which is why I didn't. This time I'll keep a more open mind I think!

I didn't cope well with my first either i think it was mostly because i honestly wasn't expecting it to hurt as much as it did. Now after having my third baby (no epidural for any of them) i can honestly say you go into subsequent labours much better equipped to deal with the pain. Each labour got easier for me and it didn't even cross my mind this time round.

I didn't have one with my first and don't want one with this baby either. It's one of the only things that was ever in my birth plan actually, don't ask me if I want an epidural.

I had an epidural with my first, my labour slowed
After the epidural and Lasted about 24 hours. I totally intended to have an epidural with my second but I didn't have time, start to finish it was 4 hours and we just madd it to the hospital. It was so nice to get up and showered straight after. I'm now pregnant with my 3rd and intend to do it drug free but I wouldn't rule an epidural out if it's a long labour.

I'm going to go into with the same attitude as the first time - try and get through without but if I feel I need one I will do it.

I didn't cope well with my first either i think it was mostly because i honestly wasn't expecting it to hurt as much as it did. Now after having my third baby (no epidural for any of them) i can honestly say you go into subsequent labours much better equipped to deal with the pain. Each labour got easier for me and it didn't even cross my mind this time round.

It's so nice to hear that each labor you felt the pain was easier to handle. I felt very strong having had my second with no epidural and I loved that i was able to do it... I keep telling myself I can do it and I'll go with the flow this time too but again last night I dreampt I went into early labor with this baby (though they told me he was definitely full term) and I told them I wanted an epidural. I think I am just terrified that now I know how intense the pain got, and how hard pushing was, I am freaking myself out! I want to do it without again but instead of feeling ready I am very very scared.

Here in the US people look at you like a nut if you don't get one lol, the assumption seems to be that everyone does! Not that that affects my decision, if anything it makes me less likely to get one since I tend to go against the grain :haha: i honestly just can't get past this fear :shrug:

I'm going to go into with the same attitude as the first time - try and get through without but if I feel I need one I will do it.

Yep, that's my plan too. Also, I'm going to stay home as long as possible, where I'm comfortable, can eat/drink, and move around as I want. I had an epidural with my first, and a natural birth with my second.

I want an epi if I have another at 3 cm I was begging for one last time it's a great thing takes all the pain away

Yep, that's my plan too. Also, I'm going to stay home as long as possible, where I'm comfortable, can eat/drink, and move around as I want. I had an epidural with my first, and a natural birth with my second.

I did that with my second, I walked around and squatted through contractions....got in the bath until my mom threw a big fit saying it was dangerous :shrug:. Honestly I thought it was false labor still and it wasn't going to progress, my mom forced me to call my husband home from work and then had to kick me out to go to the hospital cuz I was being all nonchalant and sure that they'd be sending me home. I had him 2 hrs after I got to the hospital lol.

Ds1 I was screaming for an epidural by 4cm, ds2 didnt even really hurt until at least 7cm

Had water birth with my first and wanted one with my second too. But I had to be induced this time so made the decision to have an epidural because I couldn't have water and had to be monitored on the bed. The epidural was amazing.

I was adamant I didn't want one with my first, the thought of having one made me feel a little queasy! However my labour started with my waters breaking and was hard and fast from then on! I was convinced I'd be close to fully dilated when I arrived at the hospital as it was so sore I was throwing up from the pain! I asked the mw to examine me and I was only 1.5cm! I knew then that I couldn't take it for however long it took me to get to fully dilated and had an epidural straight away. It was great for pain relief but I hated everything else that same with it, the drip and the catheter. So this time I plan to go without, like others have said I hope I'm more prepared for the pain this time, I think I was a little naive last time! However if I feel the need to have one I will. I find these decisions are best made at the time as you never know how you will feel until it's actually happening.

Sarah xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->