wondering... can lenght in labour have anything to do with genes?

Pregnancy-No1

Reaction score
hahaha! I sure hope so! my mom said she was in labour for 2 and a half hour with my brother (her first born) and 1 hour and 45 min with me (she was induced with me)

Do you think it runs in your genes, or nothing to do with genes..?

My sister had a 42 hour long labor, so I hope not! I think genes probably matter a little, but I think there are probably other factors, such as your size, your baby's size, whether you exercise during pregnancy, etc.

I have heard that it can have something to do with your genes-in my case, my mom had quick labours with all three of us (me&my siblings) and my sister has had quick labours with her first 2, and I also had a quick labour wqith my daughter! :) So looking at it like that, I would say yes! Though there may have beeen other factors too, of course. I suggest walking a lot, it will help the baby settle into the pelvis, for a hopefully quick delivery!

I am sorry to say that i don't think it does have anything to do with it in most cases, but i wish you a very speedy straightforward delivery anyway! :thumbup:

I will be pretty happy if i DON'T take after my mum in labour as she was induced with me and in labour for aaaaages, i think she was a little quicker with my younger sister, but then with her youngest two had an emergency and then elective c-section.

I think there are some genetic factors which will have a role to play, such as size of pelvis for e.g. or pre-disposition to certain conditions, but on the whole i think it just varies from woman to woman.

No No No!!

Me and my sister were 3 hour labours and partners mums 5 labours were all less than 3 hours...

Me - 54 hours!

I dont think it has anything to do with genes I'm afraid! My mum was in labour with me for 36 hours, then 20 hours with my brother. With my DD I was in active labour for 7 hours (10 hours from very first contraction)

Kinda hoping that this one is less than my first one ;)

not sure how long my mum was in labour with my older brother but she got induced with me due to being in a car crash and lack of movements from me and was in labour for only 20 mins i was in labour for 34 hours with joshua way too long x

No it doesnt imo its all down to size, fitness, diet etc during the pregnancy. My nan (mums mum) had five daughters all short labours (under 4 hours) and small babies (under 7lbs) yet my mum had a 36 hour labour with me and i was 9lb and a 18 hour labour with my bro who was 8lbs 11oz! She didn't get it from my other nan either (dads side) as my dad was only 6lbs 2oz and delivered in two !!

xx

I do hope so..all my mums births and my maternal grans births were all under 2 hours each!!1

Ive been told by MW that they may want me to go into hospital at first signs of labour if this is the case?

x

my mum was 2 hours with me, i was 4 weeks early and 6lb. my little sister was late, 1h30 labour and she was 7lbsomethin.

i was in labour 23 hours, was 10 days late and had a 9lb12 baby! and i'm physically built really similar to my mum...were both 5'1!

I don't think so. I look just like my Mom and am built like her too though I'm a couple of inches shorter. My mother had BIG babies and that contributed to her labors. My babies are either small or average--my biggest was 7lbs 5 oz and she was 4 days late. My mom ate ALOT and how ever much she wanted and got really big. I WISH I could eat--but my body is really picky and I still vomit if I eat something it doesn't like. I haven't in a long time because I stay faithful to eating what has worked in the past. My mom barely had morning sickness-nothing like what i've experienced for my pregnancies. All these thing contibute to what your labor may be like. The size and position of the baby--I think is a big issue. I've also heard Ina May Gaskin--famous midwife--say that the woman's emotional state also affects her labor. Stuff like fear, or tension between partners or reaction to laboring environment. Those can slow down labor while positive emotions can speed it up.

Honestly--I think there are so many factors that even if you could start with a tendency to go long or short because of your genes---other factors can change the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->