Working Fertility treatments around work/life!

valentine1

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone goes working the pressures and what nots of the many appts, assisted conception and also just the general feeling of feeling down and depressed around work and the rest of life?

Particularly work circumstances, have you told them what's happening or what have you said?

I'll be very interested to find out as I'm struggling with all this!

I'm also interested to hear how people have managed this. Personally, I'm hoping to start IVF in the next 2-3 months. With this being a liklihood, I went part time in September, so now only work 2 days a week. (also went part time in the hope that a less stressful work life might bring on that elusive bfp - hasn't happened!) I'm hoping that this will mean fewer (or no) appointments on working days, but I realise this isn't necessarily going to be the case. I don't want to have to tell work what's going on, but I suppose I might if needs be.

Hi Sizzles & Valantine1

I have to say it is quite differcult juggling work & IVF. I'm on my second IVF currently as our first go was unsuccessful.

I had to inform my manager that I needed to go for appointments during work time, but it is extremely differcult to keep going for appointments especially as I work full time.

I have to say I was really positive for my first cycle but once I didn't work I was still at work trying to cope with it all, my cycle failed in September and I went to see the councillor for the first time yesterday which seemed to help, but looking back I should have gone straight away to see them as no one really understand the pressures & stresses us women have to go through during the ivf and all the medication & hormone changes.

When speaking to the councillor yesterday she said ,most women don't even tell their boss there going for treatment they just take the time off sick, but I have told my employer but she is not supportitive at all & ignores my emails when I tell her I going for my scan dates and needing time off etc which isn't great, so I'm having to deal with that as well on top of the IVF stresses! Not good! I'm sure most managers will be supportive & my matron & HR are on my side to have the treatment we need so at least I'm getting support from somewhere!

As I work 3 long days at work I have been able to go for many appointments luckily on my days off but obviously once you've commenced treatment you can't really change the dates, so have had to go during work time which mu manager doesn't really like but I'm sure she knows if she prevents me from going I can contact HR and put in a complaint as it's our human right to have children and unfortunately we can't have IVF in the evenings or on weekends!!

I have been a bit tearful at work mainly from taking the buserelin which made me feel like poo, but now I'm taking the menupor and feel more human! Thank god!

Just wondering how everyone goes working the pressures and what nots of the many appts, assisted conception and also just the general feeling of feeling down and depressed around work and the rest of life?

Particularly work circumstances, have you told them what's happening or what have you said?

I'll be very interested to find out as I'm struggling with all this!

I've been very open about our fertility issues at work. I kind of had a breakdown at work when I got some test results regarding my hormone levels. I know now it wasn't horrible, but hearing that you might have issues (confirming your suspicions) was a hard blow. I was bawling. Of course, people were wondering what was wrong. I just ended up telling everyone. I'm glad I did. I work in a small business and everyone has been extremely supportive. Also, I need to them to be understanding of my random, time-sensitive appointments. My coworkers have been great at picking up parts of my shift so I can go to the doctor downtown. Occasionally, they ask how things are going, but they give me my space. It's nice to know I don't have to lie or dance around the fact that I have to jet out of work for our appointments.

As for my hubby, he works in a big corporation (different feel than my company). He only told his manager so she can be understanding of having to leave for random appointments with short notice. She's been great too.

I have not told anyone about our IUI because I don't want people hounding me or expecting results. So all people know about is that we're dealing with infertility and that we're always doing tests. That's about all they know. I won't even tell my mom about the IUI.

Sorry , phone is being a pain!!

It's not easy! I'm a teacher and do far have tried to have my cycles over holidays but I'm doing the next cycle in school time as I don't want to wait for the summer!
I've told my head teacher who luckily is supportive but it hasn't impacted on her yet so will wait and see! With the scans and blood tests you usually go in every 2-3 days. Lunch hours at my clinic were crazy as so many women were trying to fit it in!

I'm actually considering going part time with another teacher who wants to spend more time at home. I'm so nervous going straight back to work if it works as ive suffered miscarriages.

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->