Working tax credits

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about WTC in regards to overtime?

My OH finally found a job last month, which is fantastic because we were desperate, but he's officially only contracted 16 hours. In reality, he's worked overtime every single week since he started making it up to more than 30 hours a week, though the actual amount varies each week. We're not entitled to WTC on 16 hours (I don't work, full time student) but would be if he was actually contracted for the hours he does work. So I'm wondering whether he could apply for WTC for his hours plus his overtime? It'd be a massive help to us if he could because his wage at the moment is only about £6k a year, about breaking even with JSA (which is fine, much rather he be working!), as we'd love to be able to save for our own place, pay off debt etc etc.

I'm guessing that overtime doesn't count though?

It should count, as at the end of the year its you total earnings, from all jobs including overtime. It might be worth calling them up and speaking to them.

Oh really? Brilliant thank you! I can't do it but I'll tell him to give them a call when he's back!

Yeah it should count. WTC although they work the criteria on hours, at the end of it, it's the annual income that they count.

I'd ring them and ask (and say he does more than 24 each week) and see what they say.

I'd ring up now and just ask the question. You don't have to give your details or anything just ring up and pick thier brains a bit!!

Yeah they don't usually ask contracted hours, just how many you work. Yey for getting a job though xx

Yes it will count as it is all contributed to his annual income. Well done to your hubby for getting a job :) x

Thanks! It's such a relief, he'd been graduated about 8 months and we were panicking! Part time obviously isn't ideal but better than nothing!

Apparently he needs to wait til the end of the month to get his pay slip with hours worked on, then it can be calculated! Thank you for the responses :flower:

If it is a joint claim you should be able to discuss all factors of it, at least I've always been able too :shrug: Good luck I hope it's sorted for you as the extra hours means a little bit more money which is always a help :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->