Worried about being transferred?

T

Toms Mummy

I'm not sure if this is an irrational worry as my 1st labour was very straight forward, 8 hrs labour, 20mins pushiing and no pain relief. I had him in hospital.

So I have opted for a home birth this time round, however I live in a pretty inaccessible place. Although my midwife isn't worried about the location, I have had a couple of friends who have been transferred to the hosp during their 2nd labour.

I am worried that I will need transferring but will find it too hard/painful for it to actually happen as I'd need to walk up some steep slate, curved steps to a narrow road, get in to our car for a minutes or so and then be transferred to ambulance, which then has a few windy roads to go along for 15 mins beofre getting to hospital..... would all of this be possible if say I was in transitional phase?

Thanks x

I've been transferred. It was a surreal moment. I actually quite enjoyed it because it was a bizarre burst of motivation that really helped things along (I was already pushing for an hour). There's something primal about getting outside and huffing about in the fresh air. I would say it was actually my favourite moment of the whole thing, bizarrely enough??

So yes, def. doable in transition although it'll be a bit of a waddle. I did it when pushing.

Thanks Aliss, was it hard to walk? Do you think I'd make it up a set of steep steps?

Thanks Aliss, was it hard to walk? Do you think I'd make it up a set of steep steps?

The steps will be hard (I also had to take several steep staircases) but the midwives can help. You'll get a burst of energy for it, I promise. Transfers here are done by paramedic so they can also carry you if it's too much - not sure if it's ambulance there too?

I'm the kinda person that likes to "walk pain off" when I was contracting I would pace the room at lightning speed shaking my hands like I'd just stood on a plug lol, I was mobile right up until pushing, I had no difficulty walking. Granted if you were pushing this probably wouldn't be as possible perse, but chances are you're going to be transferred before this as MWs will pre-empt as much as they can, if pushing is the probably and it isn't happening then while walking make be uncomfortable it may actually help get baby into the best position. So all in all it wouldn't concern me too much :flower:

Thanks.... It is transfer by amubulance here.

I am only thinking of the transfer during pushing stage as I had a very easy birth last time and can only imagine if anything was to go wrong with this one it'll be either during pushing (like her getting stuck) or afterwards (like haemorraging sp?).... so it's the thought of having to walk up the steps and the time taken to walk up the steps, get in to car, transfer from car to ambulance and get to hosp (15mins) away that worries me x

Maybe bring this up with your MW so you can come up with a plan of action in case it happens, I am sure it won't but perhaps planning for it will put your mind at rest, I am sure paramedics are used to getting to the most awkward of places! I imagine they could put you in a wheel chair and lift you up/down stairs.

Thanks Marine Wag, I will plan on chatting to my MW at my next appointment :)..... I'm the easy one to convince though, it's my OH who is adamant that we should have a home birth!

The only way I could cope during transition was walking or standing. I was still very mobile. It sounds harder during pushing but I'm sure it's doable with help. The only situations that would worry me would be true emergencies like heavy hemorrhaging or cord prolapse which are rare but maybe talk to the MW, I'm sure they have experience dealing with awkward access.

I walked up the stairs whilst pushing no problems what so ever. The mw will sometimes recommend it if baby is slow to descend as the waggling of the hips works wonders!!!

If it really came down to it the paramedics with the ambulance would be able to carry you! But like most people have responded with, that walking either can help ease the situation or give you an adrenaline boost and you will get through it :)

If it really came down to it the paramedics with the ambulance would be able to carry you! But like most people have responded with, that walking either can help ease the situation or give you an adrenaline boost and you will get through it :)
This is true, my mother got food poisoning recently and passed out upstairs. She is not a small lady but the paramedics got her down the stairs fine.

Thank you :) This thread makes me feel so much better and more confident for a home birth! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->