Worried about my neighbour *Update page 3*

Boomerslady

Reaction score
I know this might sound crazy or OTT but I'm concerned about my neighbour. She's in her 50s, lives alone apart from when her on/off partner stays which is rare lately, and she's a heavy drinker.

I noticed today that there's 1 pillow case on her line, and I know it's not much but it's been there for at least a week, maybe more, which is odd for her. Then this afternoon her cat came in my flat (has done about 3 times in 2 years) and it was meowing lots and rubbing against me. I thought it might be hungry so gave it the small handful of treats she'd given Ben to give to her cat, now I've never owned a cat but it kept meowing at my door, could that just be because I fed it??!

Anyway I then stuck my head round the fence (there's 2 high panels then it goes to a tiny fence) so I couldn't see any sign of life, but her patio door is open. I called her name and I got no reply. Now she does go out and forget to shut her door sometimes!!

So I rang my mum and she said look for lights tonight. So I've been checking and no lights have been on all night, and the doors still open.

Am I reading too much into this? Because I only noticed the door today it could be innocent, my mums coming over tomorrow so has said she'll climb the fence with me and go and look inside just in case the worst case has happened (the neighbour is fine withe popping into her garden I used to borrow her hose in summer, she borrows my broom etc).

Am I over reacting?!! At first I thought maybe she'd gone away, but she wouldn't leave her cat, she's her fur baby. I haven't seen her in 1-2 weeks now. Granted I've not been looking but what if she got drunk and hit her head.

Can you just go knock on her door and see if she's ok? You could tell her that you needed something, or you wanted to borrow her hose again....or whatever.

It does sound a little weird to be honest. :(

I would go knock on the door.

If no answer. Maybe call the local police and say you are concerned x

We always communicate through the back doors, usually I shout and she comes out so I don't go into her garden. I'm going to try again in the morning, and if there's no reply knock on the door (even though its open!) and then if no reply ill have to go inside and check. I'm hoping its innocent. I'm used to not seeing her for weeks, but it's the cat that's got me worried. It's so rarely comes into mine, and it seemed hungry to me. Plus the item on the washing line for ages, I know it seems like nothing but that's not like her.

ETA: it's so dark outside neither of us have lights out the back. And I know it's stupid but I'm freaked out easily and I'm scared. I'm going to wait for my mum, just in case she is in there and I start creeping around in the pitch black.

Id go knock on the door now. Make up a excuse if she answers (you need some milk or something)

If no answer call the police.

i would call the police hun, just on the non emergency number and then the call handler can decide what to do, they will probably send someone round to check she is ok

Oh god, im such a wimp I'm too scared to do that :( she wont have milk anyway, I asked once and all she had was wine!! I don't want to call them if she's just in there asleep, that's so OTT.

Just checked again and it's still open. I mean I've fallen asleep and left my patio door open until 11 once. Hmmm. Ill give it another hour then ring I guess.

ETA is it odd to ask another neighbours husband to climb over with me??! I'm seriously freaked out and it's pitch black. I can't go in first :(

Thing is no all those things alone are fine but added together with the fact shes a heavy drinker could mean she needs help.

You could ask if anything was delivered there as your waiting on a really important parcel

Just my two cents- but isn't it better to be OTT in case something is wrong? I can't imagine she'd be upset with you for coming over to check on her... I'd just tell her you saw her door open and not lights on (if she answers) and you wanted to make sure all was Ok. That's just being a good neighbor.

I'm more worried the what ifs, if there's no answer. Them do I ring the police?? I was thinking of knocking the neighbours who live above her to ask if they've seen her, then they'd offer to knock??

Or should I go knock her front door? Oh god, I'm gonna get my coat on!!

Go and check on her. Or if you are too scared, call the non-emergency police number, tell them what you have told us and ask if someone can go round and make sure she is all right.
If she has fallen and hit her head, the longer you leave it, the worse it could be.
xxx

But like I said I've not seen her in days, weeks even. If something happened it could've been days ago. I'm going round to knock on the front door, in my PJs! Hope no one sees.

Hope she is ok, if you are unsure or there is no answer then I'd ring the police, I probably wouldn't go inside alone to look xx

Oh gosh, hope she's okay hun. Definitely doing the right thing by going round, even if she's just asleep just let her know her door was open and it's dangerous etc.

I went and knocked, there was no answer. So I knocked the family above her and they said she's been away on holiday and her mum and a friend were coming in to feed the cats.

They noticed the door open last night and didn't think much of it, but now it's the second night they're worried. They agrees I should ring the non emergency line. Which I'm about to do.

I'm just worried she's told whoever was feeding the cats to leave it open because they couldn't come back for a few days, and by doing this what about her cats?? Will the police have to secure her house? If so they're locked in? Arghh

Something isn't right here. I don't know anyone who would actively encourage their friends to leave their doors open...especially somewhere like London which has a high crime rate and someone will nick your bacon sandwich if you leave it on a fence post for five minutes.

I do think you need to get the police to do some digging. You said sometimes you don't see her for weeks but it sounds like something is wrong if i'm honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->