Worried about salt levels - oxo cubes and gravy

nowmarried

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I've been weaning my 8 month old since she turned 6 months. We've moved quite quickly onto mashed foods and are now trying to give her what we eat wherever possible.

I've been doing a bit of research for new recipes online and have now managed to really panic myself about oxo cubes and gravy. When I make a spag bol, I usually crumble a beef oxo cube into the bolognese sauce. I've been giving a portion of the bolognese sauce to my LO and she seems to really like it. Also, when we have a roast chicken dinner, I've been doing her a small portion of the chicken, pots and veg all mashed up with a really small bit of the gravy that I make (granules with hot water).

I've now found loads of threads saying that you shouldn't use oxo cubes or gravy as they contain too much salt for little ones and it can damage their kidneys and cause all sorts of damage. I didn't know anything about this and the HV has only ever told me not to add salt to food (which I don't anyway), so now I'm panicing that I'm hurting her when giving her this. Surely if it was that serious, the HV would tell you not to give these foods to children.

She only eats a small portion of each, so is a tiny bit of gravy or oxo cube really going to do that much damage?? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. xxx

I wouldnt worry about the small amount she has had, but moving forward you can get baby stock cubes and gravy. I use the baby stock cubes in all our cooking xxx

Boots and Heinz do their own beef and chicken baby stock cubes :flow:

I agree with all of the above ;)

Don't worry hun, the kidney damage is more likely with long term salt 'overdose'

When Evie was a baby I have her some foods with high salt in before I realised they were high in salt and gravy is a culprit!

Just be aware of salt now going forwards :hugs:

Think about how much of an oxo cube would be in your LO's portion - next to nothing!

Don't worry about it. We dont use the low sodium ones a) because they taste rank b) because lo eats such a small portion in relation to the whole meal and c) hv told me not to bother.

The low sodium ones are over priced and are just a marketing ploy to part mothers with their money by trying to make them feel guilty.

I don't agree sorry, the kallo low salt ones taste lovely and are no more expensive than other stock cubes, while I don't think the odd thing with normal stock cubes in will do any harm; some brands are extremely high in salt even for adults also many brands of stock cubes and gravy granules contain MSG which in any quantity; is not good for LOs xx

I bought the Oxo reduced salt granules and only use half the recommended amount. I do this not because I think she'll OD on her small portion but because the less she has in the bolognaise (or whatever) the more cheese, bread, breakfast cereal etc. she can have without me worrying too much about counting up the mg's.

I've never made gravy from granules anyway as it is much nicer (and really quick) made from scratch, although you'd have to have added no salt to your joint of meat to have a salt free gravy.

Don't worry, I'm sure there is no harm done. She would have had such a small amount.

We use the baby stock cubes for the whole family. We use lots of herbs and garlic in our meals to add more flavour too.

Boots do stock cubes chicken,veg and beef, we use them in our cooking and they are delicious!

we just use the low salt stock cubes personaly i cant taste the diffrence.

I don't agree sorry, the kallo low salt ones taste lovely and are no more expensive than other stock cubes, while I don't think the odd thing with normal stock cubes in will do any harm; some brands are extremely high in salt even for adults also many brands of stock cubes and gravy granules contain MSG which in any quantity; is not good for LOs xx

Agreed.

I highly doubt that companies would make low salt stock cubes to make mothers feel guilty :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"