• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worried about whooping couch outbreak...

sevenofnine

Reaction score
There are two separate families (don't even know each other) that I know that are in isolation right now due to whooping cough. Both families are fully vaccinated (and in one of the families the mom is a nurse).

I'm worried about the possibility of getting whooping cough now. Does anyone know the effect of getting it during pregnancy? I'm vaccinated, but so are the other families (and one of the families has four daughters, three of which got it. One managed not to get it so far, and she's the oldest at 7 years old). These are fairly severe cases too. Has pertussis mutated or something?

There's a lot of cases here recently, which worries me due to the seeming lack of the efficacy of the vaccine, and also because a newborn can't even get the tdap, correct??? (if it even works??)

UHG I'm probably making mountains out of molehills, but it's just worrisome. I will be calling my midwife to talk about this as well, just wanted to complain here too.

That's scary! Whooping cough outbreak is not something that should be ignored in my mind.
Where are you?

I havent heard anything in Cali but that is really scary! I would definitely call my doctor or midwife and ask!

Eek. That would be scary and nerve-wracking. I had whooping cough in 10th grade (which would make me immune now right??) and it's NOTHING to mess with. I was out of school 2 1/2 weeks and took 6 months to recover fully.

Eek. That would be scary and nerve-wracking. I had whooping cough in 10th grade (which would make me immune now right??) and it's NOTHING to mess with. I was out of school 2 1/2 weeks and took 6 months to recover fully.

I heard (don't quote me) that your immunity will be even better since you had it!

With that being said, I don't want to get it to be immune, of course! Not really much I can do if vaccinated people are getting it, though. Just try to stay away from sick people, I guess!

Hi, I actually caught whooping cough near the end of my second trimester with my first baby, so I can tell you what it was like for me.

I had been vaccinated as a child, but immunity to whooping cough does wear off. I actually didn't get all that sick, at first it was just an annoying but not particularly bad cough. I thought it was a mild virus and that it would go away. I was still going to work because I had no other symptoms and didn't feel unwell.

But after about 2 weeks the cough started getting worse. My husband had had it as well and it was the same for him, although I ended up worse than he did. I still didn't really have any other symptoms but over a few days the cough developed into the full blown hacking coughing fits it's famous for, and once it got to the point where I was having trouble breathing at the end of each fit, I finally realised it might be whooping cough. So I went and got tested, came back positive.

I went to the doctor before it got really bad just because it had gone on for so long, at the time they thought it was bronchitis and put me on antibiotics which probably helped a bit (once they found one that I wasn't allergic to and was safe in pregnancy). By the time I got tested I was no longer contagious.

The really bad cough lasted a couple of weeks, then gradually eased off. It took around 6 weeks to completely clear up.

At its worst I was coughing so hard that I was vomiting from it, which got so intense eventually that I actually burst some capillaries in my eyes so they were blood red. Not trying to scare you, but that's what happened to me. I also found that it took a good 5-6 seconds for me to be able to take a breath after each fit, which feels like an incredibly long time when you can't breathe. But overall I had a relatively mild case.

And the important thing is that my baby was completely fine. I was further along than you, but the whole time there was no indication that there was any problem with the baby at all, and she is now an incredibly healthy 2 year old. My understanding is that whooping cough isn't something that directly affects the foetus, it's just the effects on you that might distress the baby, so I would suggest getting yourself checked out at the first sign of any illness to try and limit the severity as much as possible.

Here the recommendation is that women get a new vaccination during each pregnancy, at around the start of the third trimester so that the baby is at least partially protected after birth via maternal antibodies, so if your last vaccination was a while ago you might want to think about having another. But the main thing is to avoid anyone who is sick, and be vigilant about washing your hands.

Try not to get too stressed about it. I hope this was helpful!

I don't think it's anything to panic about, it's dangerous for tiny babies, but not so much adults. However, you should immediately go and get a booster vaccination for whooping cough. In NZ it is recommended that all pregnant women, their partners and even grandparents get a booster when they're pregnant. I've had the vaccination both times I've been pregnant and will get it again this time. The best way to protect your baby is through antibodies you pass on through the placenta and breastmilk after birth.

As you age your immunity can wane, hence the need to get a booster.

Whilst you're at it you should also go and have a flu vaccine. Both are safe while pregnant.

Here's info from the NZ government about it https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/healthy-living/immunisation/immunisation-pregnant-women

ETA: here the recommendation is also to do it in third tri, but if there's an outbreak where you are, you may want to ask if you could/should get it earlier.

I was vaccinated as well and still got it. As it was described above, it was similar for me! However, it did take me 6 months + to feel back to normal enough. I could take a deep breath and start feeling like my airway was raw and tickly for a long time after. A doctor said it basically "burns" away all your cilia in there that protects the airway. So, I ended up having a chronic problem until it healed completely.

I agree, it mostly will just distress your own airways to the max, but shouldn't directly affect baby. Adults can handle the illness fine usually. Worst respiratory illness I've had in life, but lived just fine. It's more of a panicky feeling of not being able to breathe that's the worst. I remember feeling almost fine other than the horrendous whooping and catching my breath after.

Thank you everyone for your replies, I'm feeling a bit calmer! I'm glad to hear that none of you that got it while pregnant had anything negative to the baby. I'll be discussing more with my midwife at my appointment, to see her suggestions!

It's quite normal to get the whooping cough vaccine in pregnancy (here it's standard now, though not everyone opts to get it) and many doctors in the U.S. have long advised it as well. It's mostly to protect baby after birth (most whooping cough deaths are in babies in the early weeks because they have no immunity yet). But it will offer you a boost in protection in pregnancy too. Here it's recommended we get them from 21 weeks and I'm getting mine next month. I would ask if it's something you'd consider. I definitely would given the circumstances.

Yes ask for a vaccine if you are concerned. Here in uK it's an option from 16 weeks. I just got mine and my arm really ached after but I felt it was worth it to keep baby and me healthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->