Worried baby is always hungry

xQuinnx

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my 2nd baby and I've posted a lot on here! I pumped with my first rather then feeding straight from the breast but this time I didn't want to do that.
I've had lots of issues getting baby to take the breast and we've been told she has a tongue tie or a tense jaw so are following both these up.

Anyway breastfeeding seemed to click with us both a few days ago so for the last 3 days she's had breast but with the odd formula bottles.

Since then I've noticed she's become very clingy, there are times when she is on and off the boob every few mins for 2 hours or so. She seems to have 1 stretch of good sleep in the day and 1 at night but otherwise she's getting increasingly cranky.

I'm so worried that because we've not solely breastfed till now I haven't got enough milk and she's starving :( now I'm giving her 4ounces of formula because she was so agitated.

I really want breastfeeding to work but it feels like it's 1 step forward and 2 back. My daughter's nearly 5 weeks old, is this normal in a breastfed baby that old?

Thank you

This sounds normal to me. It's called cluster feeding and is very common at 5/6 weeks due to a growth spurt. You should really put her back to your breast if she's still hungry instead of topping up with formula as she's trying to increase your supply to meet her growing needs.

^^wss
I would say if you are very worried try 1oz in between breasts. Like so right for 10-15 min, one oz in bottle, then left for 10-15 min. But ya gotta let the cluster feeding happen to increase your supply :)

Thank you for the replies! I so want to do what's best for her which I know is breast but I'm terrified of starving her :-/ I'll cut down her formula and keep putting her to the breast.

It's very normal. Breast feeding babies do that to stimulate your milk supply.... and breast fed babies also go to the breast for all kinds of comfort too..... my baby wants the boob for every thing.... tired/hungry/gassy/fussy...I would advise against giving formula if your baby is not having any kind of weight issues or anything, because this means the 4oz of formula isn't coming from you and your supply will go down (when she is trying to boost it) Hang in there .... it really does get better !!

Also, have you thought about getting your baby's tongue tie corrected ? I got my baby's tongue tie corrected at 6 weeks and breast feeding turned into a dream !

At this stage, unless you are planning to combo feed, if you give a bottle of formula the only way to then keep your supply keeping up with what she needs is to pump the same amount that she ate. That is time you may not have to spare!

The six week growth spurt is a tough one, especially if baby is having trouble latching correctly as she won't be able to build your supply as quickly or effectively as she wants. It may be that if you have other signs that she isnt an effective feeder (like poor weight gain,not enough wet nappies, clogged ducts or mastitis) you may need to pump a bit after she feeds to stimulate your breasts to produce more BUT if the only symptom is wanting to feed often it is most likely just a growth spurt and no action is needed apart from feed on demand (even though the pulling off and going back on is a PITA).

Of course if you need a break there's no shame in pumping and allowing someone else to feed, but at this young age she wants your smell, your voice, your face and your warmth just as much as your milk, so even a full belly might not change her behaviour much.

Thank you 1nceuponatime and noon_child :) I really want her tongue tie corrected we're having issues getting into a clinic to have it done :( there's one on Thursday and Monday I think though so fingers crossed. I really hope it makes a difference!
I don't mind the idea of combo feeding but I'd rather her have as much breast as possible, I might try to express a feed instead.

Feeling a bit alone at home with the whole thing...I get the impression my husband is a bit resentful or annoyed about the breastfeeding..like he feels he can't do anything for her anymore even though that's rubbish. Or gets annoyed especially in the night when I'm tired and me and my little one are both getting a bit frustrated :-/ he's also suggested several times that we give her formula before bed and at night to settle her despite me explaining loads of times that 1. Formula won't necessarily settle her, it didn't with our first daughter! 2. My supply will be completly messed up if we do that.
It feels like breastfeeding is already a tough thing to master anyway without the added pressure of the tongue tie and formula pushing. I don't have anything against formula, my first daughter thrived on it after 6 weeks of age but I want to be able to breastfeed a baby

That's completely normal. Babies have tiny tummies and will feed often. Also the baby feeds often to stimulate your supply. Things will calm down but they do feed very often at first.
I would definitely get the tongue tie sorted as soon as possible as it can cause issues.

I think correcting the tongue tie will make a difference.... it could be just a coincidence but I swear two days after the tongue tie corrected was the first time she ever slept 4-5 hours.... I could tell she was eating more and not exhausting herself... but I did read that happens at 6 weeksish anyway, so I guess I'll never know, but at least breastfeeding stopped feeling like someone was sawing my nipples off lol TMI after the tongue tie corrected.

Finally got the tongue sorted yesterday woo hoo! Fingers crossed it makes a difference :D

It's been 2-3 days and it HAS made quite a bit of difference! Feeds aren't as long and she's satisfied for longer afterwards, seems much less gassy don't know if that's from the tongue tie lol, her latch has improved lots and it's obvious how much more she can move her tongue! I'm so pleased :D

Thank you! I'm so pleased and feel so proud lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->