Worried Mum - any advice please!

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking for some of the great advice i've had from you all before! Ok so as many of you know my LO is 19 weeks / 12 corrected and was small at birth (3lb) with some weight gain issues since. We had our consultant appointment a few weeks ago and Erin had a snuffly nose (as she always has) and our consultant took a sample to check for RSV and various other things. RSV came back negative and i've had no call regarding the other tests but as the nurse explained they test for the common cold so nothing too scary. Anyway at the time the consultant said if she stopped feeding or lost wait etc then to come straight in and she may need admitted and NG tube back in. I was quite upset at the though of this but as she was doing fine it didn't worry me. Since then i developed a really bad cold and passed it to Erin. She was loaded for a few days but feeding was still as it always has been. She's getting better but seems less interested in her milk over the last few days. She isn't struggling to breath and she is less snuffly. Everyone has been commenting on how great she's looking and coming on and i have to say i agree. We wont know about weight gain until tomorrow when HV comes but she seems bigger or at least longer! I'm going through various scenarios in my head which range from sensible - maybe she's had a growth spurt and is less interested in her milk but it will pick up, to sheer panic - she's ill and i should be heading to hospital. She's smiling, not lethargic, has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is a good colour so my logical brain says i'm just a paranoid mum but her interest in milk has definitely reduced. Has anyone experienced anything like this or do you have any advice - thanks as always in advance.
(sorry for long post - my husbands ears are bleeding too!)

Alex has been a bugger when it came to milk. It took perseverence and patience. Have you tried

1. Larger teat size?
2. Maybe its reflux?
3. Different teat altogether.

I know that when we used NUK teats and bottles the milk volume increased. Alex seemed to enjoy a different shaped teat, and I know of many preemie mums who had same success with these bottles. You can get them from Boots.

Hi there thanks for reply! I tried NUK but was a while ago now. At the time she wasn't great with them but I was in a flap about bottles and teats and tried about 5 different types in one week and totally confused the wee soul! Might give it a go again if things don't improve - would at least please my OH that some of the many bottles i've bought will be used! Was Alex's weight gain always ok? - checked out the diary - she's a wee star and just lovely!

Alexs weight gain slowed down when we struggled with the bottles and teats, and when she got picky, but after that things went smoothly! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->