Worries about Birth Centre..

Athena

Mum of 3 :)
Reaction score
I desperately want a natural water birth and have opted to be referred to a brand new independent Midwife Led Unit. It looks amazing in the pics and has a birthing pool in every room which is what swayed me as the hospital only has the one pool.

My main concern is, what if something goes wrong? Like I can't push the baby out, or she gets stuck or has trouble breathing afterwards. There is a 15 min transfer to the nearest hospital and it's the only thing that is worrying me. I don't know if I'm being selfish by wanting a water birth so badly that I will take a risk by not being in a hospital.

I've had two babies before, my first I struggled to get him out and needed vontouse and forceps after a long labour with an epidural he was 8lb8oz. My second was 7lb 13oz I had a quick gas and air labour and found her easy to push out but that was 13 years ago so I haven't done this for a while. I feel like this will be a big baby too and don't know if that will make a difference to my labour. If I've needed forceps before is it more likely I will need again if she's big?

What would you do/are you planning? Your thoughts, opinions, advice would be so appreciated :flower:

I'm having a homebirth with a 20 minute transfer.

A labour ward carries it own risks so homebirth or midwife led unit are generally lower risk. Midwives are very well trained. They can usually pick up problems as they start and will have the facilities to resuscitate a baby who was struggling.

I personally think you'll be ok :) you'll have people there and if something bad happens they would send you b4 to late and 15 mins isn't far

I'm giving birth in a birth centre too. Midwives know how to resuscitate and treat newborns. Don't worry! There is nothing dangerous about giving birth in a birth centre

If it helps I am a midwife and I am planning a home birth for my first baby, and I have seen EVERYTHING. Lol. All will be fine, like the others have said, the midwives are trained to deal with all (unlikely) emergencies but will facilitate a nice normal birth for you. It is very rare that a baby becomes unwell without signs beforehand and if they are worried they will transfer you hopefully before baby became unwell. Babies tend to get bigger each time but if you delivered your second without assistance then it is very unlikely that you will need help to deliver this one, your body and pelvic muscles have stretched before and can do it again quite easily. :) x

I've picked a birthing centre also! I was reassured that the midwifes have been trained to notice signs of stress/difficulty early on so they can transfer u early on to give u and baby the most help possible! Also was only allowed to go there cos my pregnancy is low risk! Think you'll be fine xxx

I had a water birth in a birth centre with my 2nd and it was amazing and at one point I had 3 midwifes looking after me and they were all there when DS came into the world, they have the knowledge and facilities to deal with the unlikely emergencies and would transfer you before anything untoward could happen! I am booked in to the birth centre again for this baby and reccommend it to anyone!

With my 1st which was in hospital I was often left on my own and rarely had one midwife in the room with me! Your far less likely to have interventions if you have a home birth of birth centre birth as you are far more likely to have an active natural birth!!

You will be absolutely fine! :thumbup::winkwink:

Thank you so much everyone, I feel much better, I am a bit of a worrier and just want everything perfect as do we all :)

Hopefully I will be able to update in a couple of months with a positive natural water birth story at the birth centre.

I really do feel so much better, I was having second thoughts just worrying what might go wrong. Thanks again everyone :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->