Worrying - but as i'm writing my birth plan, i'd love some reassurance about this :)

MoonLove

Reaction score
Hi ladies :coffee:

I've got a bit of a dilemma. From day 1, i knew that when i delivered my baby, i wanted to keep her attached to the placenta until the cord stopped pulsating. I did lots of research into the health benefits of this (for baby) and i love the idea of baby being plopped onto my tummy all natural, straight out the womb, no scissors involved etc.

My only worry is that by doing this, i will deliver the placenta naturally without the injection in your thigh to speed things up. But i'm TERRIFIED of losing loads of blood when this happens. If i'm correct, you can't have the injection if baby is still attached to the placenta? I've read alot about it causing you to bleed more if you deliver the placenta without the injection. The idea of losing blood, and people panicking about your blood loss really does frighten me, and i've even been considering just forgetting the whole delayed cord clamping thing because of it.

Surely, its totally natural to have to deliver the placenta naturally anyway, and its something thats been practised for many years (until they invented the thigh injection!)?

I'm desperatly seeking reassurance, as i'm writing my birth plan up, and i can't bring myself to commit to something i want so much! :nope: Has anyone here had a similar experience, delivering the placenta naturally etc?

Thanks ever so much - i am a worrier! :wacko:

i wrote that i wanted a natural 3rd stage and the cord to stop pulshing before being cut but i also said i was open minded if they and my oh felt that i needed the injection

as it was i did need the injection my pelvis was to small to delvier lo he got stuck on my tail bone and broke it so they needed to use sucken and a small cut i lost some blood but not loads and loads about 500ml but my lo was wrapped in his cords and his sugar was lo so the pead docs were in the room they checked wiuth oh before they gave me the injection but after they said it helped them that i put i was open minded if the doctor felt the need for it x

Sounds like you're getting a few things mixed up here. Have a read here when this was recently discussed. There are risks attached to having the injection as well as possible benefits.

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/596098-physiogical-v-managed-third-stage.html

There is no time limit on when to have the injection and it is effective in slowing down a possible bleed after the placenta is delivered too.

You can always put that you're considering physiological and want to be asked at the time - in that way the only thing you're asking them not to do (that is routine) is not to give the injection as the shoulders are delivered. You could phrase it as 'delayed cord clamping' so you get the time to allow the cord to stop pulsating and you can then decide to have the injection, or if the placenta is coming away by itself anyway, delay it further to see if there is significant blood loss. If the midwife is concerned about blood loss at this point they will give it anyway, but if you're unsure then phrase it so as to "delay" the injection.

I feel the same as you - I am somewhat afraid of PPH but I'm reassured knowing they'd give it anyway, if the blood loss was getting heavy. Unless that happens then I'll be going physiological.

I hate injections, and refused the thigh jab, delivered the placenta comletely naturally! It was fine, no problems!

Speaking as a midwife - if you choose physiological management you can change to active (the injection) at any point, you can't the other way.

I do warn women that if they opt for delayed management that there is a chance the placenta may deliver naturally before the injection, but stress that this is OK. There is a slightly higher blood loss at delivery without the injection BUT the blood loss afterwards doesn't tend to last as long, so you still loose the same amount of blood overall

You can always put that you're considering physiological and want to be asked at the time - in that way the only thing you're asking them not to do (that is routine) is not to give the injection as the shoulders are delivered. . .

What? I didn't get given the injection as the shoulders were delivered. I'd put in my birth plan that I was happy to have the injection but they asked me after I'd delivered as well and gave it once I'd consented.

the injection with the shoulder depends on the midwife, some do give it then (well a second midwife does) - personally I don't give it till baby is out and cord is clamped regardless

Probably depends on what's the norm in your area/team of midwives - mine advised me to put physiological in the plan, even if I do decide to have it after baby is fully/clamped and cut, as this will prevent them giving it as the shoulders are delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->