Would a threatened miscarriage be classed as a pre-existing medical condition?

Ziggie

Reaction score
I'm travelling to the states (or maybe not...) soon and I bought my travel insurance before I found out I was pregnant.

The provider covers any unforeseen complications that arise from pregnancy in their policy. My question is... I had a large bleed and was signed off work. The dr clearly said this was a "threatened abortion" and wrote this on my sick note. She identified a clot/bleed on the scan as the cause. Now I know this is a hematoma from my own research, but this word was never used once at hospital. She wasn't concerned, and said it shouldn't affect me going away (I did ask in my panic!!!!).

I spoke to the insurance agent and they said I need to have a dr letter stating I'm fit to fly (I didn't disclose the hospital visit at this point as didn't seem worth it until I see what the dr says). I have my scan Monday, when I will see if his has cleared up, and if everything is ok. And then I will obviously find out if I'm fit to fly or not..... If they say yes, would I then need to tell the agent about my bleed as a pre-existing condition, even if it has (fingers crossed) resolved?

I don't even know whether I'd go either way yet, but I certainly want to have insurance cover if I do. I'm happy to pay more if I do decide to go if they think it's a risk, but don't want to disclose if I don't have to.

No you don't need to tell them. A pre-existing condition refers to a long term medical issue that requires continuous care, ie cancer, AIDS, etc. A bleed from a pregnancy is an "event" not a "condition" =) Hope that clears up any confusion.

Even pregnancy itself is more of an event rather than a condition....you won't remain pregnant forever ;-)

Ahhh thank you!!!! That's helped me a lot.

This is the exact wording.

Our policies provide cover for unforeseen injury, illness, disease or complications as a direct result of pregnancy.

Would say a bleed be "unforeseen" if I've already had one.... insurance companies aren't known for their generosity!

This is the exact wording.

Our policies provide cover for unforeseen injury, illness, disease or complications as a direct result of pregnancy.

Would say a bleed be "unforeseen" if I've already had one.... insurance companies aren't known for their generosity!

Yes it would still be considered an unforeseen event. Simply because, so long as you get the all clear to fly....from that moment forward, you are considered to have no risks. So if something arises after the 'all clear' letter, that is a new event and therefore, unforeseen =)

And I know, insurance companies are ALL about their bottom line haha but as long as you have that letter clearing you for flying and travel, you're all set for anything that could happen on the road. Again, as long as you don't have a current, ongoing issue, like an ectopic pregnancy that you fly with knowledge of having or something to that extent.

Thank you!!!! I'm trusting you have experience with this :D lol

Even if they give me the all clear, I'm not sure what I will do, but this has helped me a lot!!! Will see what Monday brings.

yeah, I had to help my mother with a lot of medical stuff a few years back....made me an expert at dissecting their "language" haha Where will you be traveling to when you come Stateside?

West coast mostly!! I'm visiting friends for a few days in salt lake, then hiring a car and travelling!!! Well, I'm supposed to be..... I'm a bit scared to now to be honest. Although health care out there is as good as here, and I think if something's going to happen, it will... Wherever I am. It's just the thought of something happening so far from home.

West coast mostly!! I'm visiting friends for a few days in salt lake, then hiring a car and travelling!!! Well, I'm supposed to be..... I'm a bit scared to now to be honest. Although health care out there is as good as here, and I think if something's going to happen, it will... Wherever I am. It's just the thought of something happening so far from home.

Sounds like fun! The reason I asked is that I have friends ALL OVER the states and if you run into any complications I can ask any of my friends in those places where you should go =) For instance, I have a friend in Salt Lake whose wife gave birth to their first baby a year ago. So if you'd like, as you get closer to your travel date, email me and I can find out some places you can keep in mind that you can go to if anything happens =)

Yeah don't worry about it, it's not a "diagnosis" as such, for example: My husband had suspected crohn's disease, but because it was never confirmed we didn't need to declare it :)

When are your due to go abroad? If you can rest between now and then and ensure that there's no further spotting, I'd say go! Go and chill out while you're there...enjoy your pregnancy. Things like this are quite common in early pregnancy, once you get the all clear you can relax :)

Sounds like fun! The reason I asked is that I have friends ALL OVER the states and if you run into any complications I can ask any of my friends in those places where you should go =) For instance, I have a friend in Salt Lake whose wife gave birth to their first baby a year ago. So if you'd like, as you get closer to your travel date, email me and I can find out some places you can keep in mind that you can go to if anything happens =)

I'm suppose to fly a week on Saturday!!!!!!! :dohh: that would be really helpful and maybe put my mind to rest a bit... I'm staying with friends there so thats ok, but I'm travelling to the coast and up and then to San Fran, alone! So any safe place or kind people to contact if I ran into difficulties would be a massive reassurance.

Yeah don't worry about it, it's not a "diagnosis" as such, for example: My husband had suspected crohn's disease, but because it was never confirmed we didn't need to declare it :)

When are your due to go abroad? If you can rest between now and then and ensure that there's no further spotting, I'd say go! Go and chill out while you're there...enjoy your pregnancy. Things like this are quite common in early pregnancy, once you get the all clear you can relax :)

I've been resting for nearly 2 weeks now... I had a week of spotting, and the day I went back to work I had a huge bleed and have been off ever since. Scan is Monday, then I have 4 days before I go!

Would happen to me :haha:

Yep I have many many friends in California, just give me a shout on here....email or something and I'll let you know =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->