Would I be likely to come up against opposition?

Dream.A.Dream

Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!
Reaction score
I'm not pregnant again (yet :lol:) but if I have any more babies (which I fully intend to) would it be likely I would come up against problems?

My last birth was a normal vaginal delivery, however, Edward was estimated to be very small, below 10th centile and I had to go in for monitoring as soon as contractions started and was then told okay go home but come back as soon as things step up. Once I got to 4-5cms I went back in and was mointored for about 5 minutes and told his heartbeat was a bit unstable so I'd be strapped to monitors the duration (exactly what I didn't want!).

When he was born he was low birth weight and had to go on a protocol to have bloods before and every feed.

So would I be likely denied a homebirth? xx

Its a question no one can realy answer Katy. It all depends on the attitide of your midwife, there are some women who have had normal natural labours with there 1st and 2nd child in hospital and then decided they want a homebirth for baby no 3 and they have had to fight for it because there midwife is anti homebirth and then other women who have had problems with previous labours and have been supported in there choice.

the NICE recs for who should deliver in consultant led are on pages 64-66 of this: https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11837/36275/36275.pdf . I can't see previous low birth weight on the list, but it doesn't mean individual midwives/ obstetricians will agree/disagree.

Blimey, you have just popped one out missus, up for it again already?! :winkwink: :kiss:

I think they do view each pregnancy as different and it would depend on the size of baby number two but it doesn't seem like there is any excessive reason you wouldn't be. I think it's a cross that bridge when it comes to I think chick. :hugs:

Hi

unless your LO showed up on scans as probably being low birth weight again I don't see why it would be a reason to prevent a homebirth; low birth weight can happen again but its often a one off as well depending on what caused it the first time. xx

Thanks, was caused by me having hyperemesis last time and not keeping any food down. I'm praying that won't happen again!

Draz- Yes I want another...like NOW!! :dohh:
xx

As mentioned before this the decision would be at the discretion of your midwife. However, I certainly do not see any reason why a homebirth would be contraindicated if your second pregnancy progresses normally (unlike your first). But I would expect that you would have a little extra monitoring during the pregnancy just to ensure the second baby has no growth restriction issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->