Would it be ok?..

Lauz

Reaction score
My LO is almost 19 weeks and i have been thinking about starting her on solids soon but i was wondering if i could just let her try a little bit today and then start her in a few weeks, I'm just curious to see how she takes to it and if she likes it i might just keep it going so would it be OK to let her try some? x

I think its up to you. This is always a touchy subject as people say no its not good for their insides, some say its best to at least try them before 6 months.
My LO is about to turn 19 weeks and I have been giving him a little bit of porridge this week and he loves it, he cant eat it quick enough.

Well i was planning on weaning her at 5 months which is in a few weeks because my instincts tell me shes ready, i understand everyone feels different about the subject but like you say at the end of the day its up to the mother :) Thats great news that your LO is taking well to porridge, i think i will let her try a little today then and see if she likes it! Thanks Hun :flower:

I hope she likes it :) Im going to start making purees as soon asI can get to the supermarket, think I will try sweet potato first. I really think he is going to take to weaning well, but Im not in any rush to get him onto 3 meals a day x

Every baby is different, they are all ready at the same time.
Only reason it is recommended to wait until 6 months is because somewhere between 4-6 months a babies digestive system fully delevops and its unknown when because as already stated every baby is different, every baby develops at different stages.
If she is starting to show signs of being ready then I can't see any harm in trying her with solids :) x

I hope she likes it :) Im going to start making purees as soon asI can get to the supermarket, think I will try sweet potato first. I really think he is going to take to weaning well, but Im not in any rush to get him onto 3 meals a day x

I let her try a spoonful of Organic banana & pear rice pudding and she likes it! :happydance: She didn't even spit it back out at me lol it was funny to see her little face :D How much can i give her? x

I have no idea! I think my LO would just keep on eating and eating :haha: but I dont let him lol I just make up a little in a bowl. If you go on Cow and Gate website they have a free weaning pack and it gives ideas of what to give LO to try things and then to make it into a meal. I think its great x

Thanks Hun! I'll have a look at the website :flower:

I realise it's tempting, but guidelines say around 6 months because that is when most babies are ready and because having reviewed hundreds of studies, the WHO agree this is the best age.

Maybe giving solids now won't do any harm, but what if when your baby is older you realise it may have done or has done? On the other hand, waiting definitely won't do any harm.

I've yet to see a baby of 4 months showing all the signs tbh, no Tongue thrust, can easily bring objects from hand to mouth and sit unaided.

My lo has milk protein allergy and reflux, the consultant and dietician have said we should start weaning him at 17 weeks..

My lo has milk protein allergy and reflux, the consultant and dietician have said we should start weaning him at 17 weeks..

There's a huge difference when doing it on medical advice. The same risks are there, but they are outweighed by the risks or problems that could be solved by weaning.

I agree with midori :thumbup:

What's the rush? Weaning's messy and a bit of a faff - and we did lazy BLW! Much easier to keep them on milk for a few more weeks. What's another month in the scheme of things?

You also don't want to rush and encourage LO to drop milk feeds prematurely. Milk should form the bulk of their nutrition until they're 1.

I was wondering this as well. I want to wait till 6 months to wean, but DH is anxious to try ASAP! As a compromise, I suggested that we maybe give our LO something to 'try' and see how he takes to it, but I didn't know if it was okay to do if we weren't planning on weaning immediately. :shrug:

Glad to hear your LO liked it! What purees are you guys thinking of trying first?

Well LO has porridge at tea time, so it doesnt mess with his bottles. I tried in the morning and he wasnt taking all his milk in the next feed so I moved it to tea time and he is fine. I have creamy porridge. I am going to try sweet potato puree first I think. Ive never had it so might try it too :haha:

I realise it's tempting, but guidelines say around 6 months because that is when most babies are ready and because having reviewed hundreds of studies, the WHO agree this is the best age.

Maybe giving solids now won't do any harm, but what if when your baby is older you realise it may have done or has done? On the other hand, waiting definitely won't do any harm.

I've yet to see a baby of 4 months showing all the signs tbh, no Tongue thrust, can easily bring objects from hand to mouth and sit unaided.

Its not so much that it is tempting its more just my instincts telling me she is ready, i I'm not weaning her just yet, i am going to wait a while longer, i only wanted to see how she would react to having a little spoonful and if she likes it then gradually give her more. She always watches me eat, she can take her dummy in and out of her mouth by herself, she sat up unaided for 5 seconds yesterday i was so proud! and she always copies us when we eat, putting her hands in her mouth and chomping so i thought today i would let her try a spoonful and she liked it, there was no fuss :)
Your right that waiting will do no harm but every mother is different and every baby is different so i guess it just depends, also before new research the age for weaning was 4 months and it has done no harm to us.
Like i say, everyone is different! :flower:

Its not so much that it is tempting its more just my instincts telling me she is ready, i I'm not weaning her just yet, i am going to wait a while longer, i only wanted to see how she would react to having a little spoonful and if she likes it then gradually give her more. She always watches me eat, she can take her dummy in and out of her mouth by herself, she sat up unaided for 5 seconds yesterday i was so proud! and she always copies us when we eat, putting her hands in her mouth and chomping so i thought today i would let her try a spoonful and she liked it, there was no fuss :)
Your right that waiting will do no harm but every mother is different and every baby is different so i guess it just depends, also before new research the age for weaning was 4 months and it has done no harm to us.

I'd argue that allergy rates, digestive issues and other complaints are at an all time high. You can't conclusively prove that early weaning caused it all, but it's suspicious IMO.

We did an NCT weaning course - the signs of a baby being ready for solids are:
Sitting with little to no support
Bringing things quickly and accurately to the mouth
Loss of tongue thrust reflex

If you want to see if she's ready, give strips of banana while you eat. When she picks them up and has a go at eating them, she's ready. Simple!

We did that with our LO, and we started BLW at 23 weeks.

I was wondering this as well. I want to wait till 6 months to wean, but DH is anxious to try ASAP! As a compromise, I suggested that we maybe give our LO something to 'try' and see how he takes to it, but I didn't know if it was okay to do if we weren't planning on weaning immediately. :shrug:

Glad to hear your LO liked it! What purees are you guys thinking of trying first?

Thanks hun, yeah she loved it :) I gave her some organic banana and pear rice pudding, there is no harm in letting your LO try a spoonful and seeing there reaction is funny :D hope your LO likes it too if you decide to try it xx

It is precisely that weaning earlier has done harm to our generation that guidelines changed. AFAIAC, scientific evidence ( and we're talking hundreds of studies, not just a few) outweighs motherly instincts in this instance.

My daughter watches us eat, she even makes chewing movements with her mouth. She can sit pretty well and she can fairly competently bring objects to her mouth. I'm not going to wean her yet because I know that in a few weeks she'll be sitting better and her hand/eye co ordination will be better, but mainly because I don't want to risk her having digestive problems later on. Plus, having weaned three other children, I know what a faff it is so want to BLW this time.

I'd argue that allergy rates, digestive issues and other complaints are at an all time high. You can't conclusively prove that early weaning caused it all, but it's suspicious IMO.

We did an NCT weaning course - the signs of a baby being ready for solids are:
Sitting with little to no support
Bringing things quickly and accurately to the mouth
Loss of tongue thrust reflex

If you want to see if she's ready, give strips of banana while you eat. When she picks them up and has a go at eating them, she's ready. Simple!

We did that with our LO, and we started BLW at 23 weeks.

Well she is definitely showing some signs so i will take your advice and see how she does, thanks hun :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->