Would love some opinions please? xx

Bibibaby

Mum and stepmum
Reaction score
My LO is 13wks 4days old and was on SMA hungry baby at 2wks old, we weaned her back onto SMA gold at 9wks as she was very constipated and seemed very very uncomfortable and often distressed, shes much happier now however shes drinking 7oz @8:30am, 7oz@midday, 7oz@3pm then btween 9and 11oz before bed at 7pm, she sleeps through (7:30-7:30) so am pleased about that and know she prob isnt hungry but occassionally drains her bottles and has now started to lose weight, she weighed 12lb4oz@8wks, 13lb5.5oz@11wks then 13lbs2oz@13wks, HV not happy but i said shes drinking plenty of formula, we put her bottles up from 6oz to 7oz a week before she got weighed so shes been having even more than usual and lost weight!

She seems ok after a bottle but not always content and i cant help but think is it worth weaning early? i will speak to my HV when i see her on thurs but its always nice to get other mummys opinions that aren't so 'from the book' lol!
Im well aware 'they' say not to wean till they are 6mnths but i know plenty of ppl who have weaned earlier and babies are much more content than my little one, i wirry she will start gettin poorly if she continues to drop weight and HV may assume im underfeeding whichy of course im not!
Advice? Any of your babies done this? Anyone weaned early? xx

Hey hun, I understand it must be worrying for you to see that your little one has lost weight :hugs: I don't know a lot about formula feeding, but I would suggest you waited a few more weeks before you considered weaning as your little girl is still very little, and also since you mentioned she has a sensitive tummy. The little losses can can even themselves out over a few weeks, especially is she is getting a little bit more active in the daytime. Hope that helps a little xxx

This topic is very controversial on here! Early weaning doesn't go down well with a lot of memebers for one reason or another, so be forewarned!

I weaned Leo early....he was 3 months. He was weaned due to his reflux.

There is obviously a problem if your LO is losing weight and something that needs to be addressed asap. I would say the best advice you can get would be off your HV as I am no way going to say 'do it':blush:

I started Leo off with a small amount of rice cereal after his morning bottle and went from there.

The best bit of advice I can give you is use your instincts, nobody knows your baby better than you do, no midwife, doctor or text book. :hugs:

It's worth knowing that breastmilk or formula contain more calories than any solid food, so weaning is unlikely to reverse weight loss. Plus the more he fills up on solids, the less milk he will drink which will not help his weight.
I would keep offering lots of milk. Also ask your HV if you should make a doctor's appt to discuss the weight loss and he/she can advise.
Good luck :)

How many bottles in total is that..? 4x 7oz?
You could try upping to 8oz, hungry baby milk again or try adding another feed somewhere (possibly a dreamfeed) if you didn't want to wean early x

Ah, thanks guys, yeah im reluctant to rush into early weaning so thats why i wanted opinions, i know lots of ppl who have but understand the reasonings for not! I took her to get weighed again today (a week later) and shes gained 1lb13.5oz?!! :wacko: HV thinks they weighed her wrong last week :dohh: as thats ALOT of weight to gain in a week and shes jus on her 'normal' feeds! All that worry for a whole week for that, lol!! Oh well, ty, i agree i think im jus gna start going with my instincts, i knew something wasnt right! Mummy knows, mummy always knows! Thanks for ur advice guys xx xx xx:cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->