would you buy a second hand pump?

flosie

Reaction score
Now that I'm pregnant again I'm thinking for the next baby I'd like a decent pump ideally a medela. However they are quite pricey. Am thinking maybe second hand but not sure if that's reccomended?

Yes. I have. I thoroughly washed and sterilised everything. Plus you can buy new parts to it if you wanted. It was the only way I could afford a good pump and am very pleased with it x

I bought a 2nd hand pump as well. As PP said just make sure you wash and sterilise it 1st.

Mine fell and broke after 10 months, but I planned to stop pumping at work at 12 months so I bought one used. I know you're not supposed to, but buying one for 6 weeks of use wasn't an option, and neither was stopping early. I just took apart and cleaned the seals and everything. Insurance bought the first one, though, which was a pleasant surprise.

Personally, I probably wouldn't buy one second hand, but that's just me. Our hospital rents pumps and they said you have to buy certain parts for it, like they only re-use the main pump machinery whatever you call it. You can see if your hospital offers that option. I just used a small Medela manual pump though so I never dealt with the rental. If you can buy new parts then I don't see any reason not to use a second hand one if it's cleaned properly.

I considered it, at one point I was going to have my sisters medela swing since she was stopping expressing, but I did a lot of reading and found a blog post by a woman who took apart her pump (medela swing) after she stopped feeding and found mould right up inside the motor part. That put me off so I bought a spectra 3 which cost around £50 (which is not much more than a second hand branded pump could cost) and I think it's great. It's sold as a single pump but you can buy an additional pack for £5 which converts it to a double.

Yes i did as wasnt sure if id end up using it or not so didn't want to spend £90 ( I wanted the medela swing). I got one from eBay that's hardly been used still boxed for £35. I put it in the dishwasher on a got wash so all clean and sterilised :)

I have had 3 second hand pumps. 2 where my friends. Good clean nothing wrong with them.

I would buy a second hand closed system pump, but not an open one. Most medela ones, apart from the hospital grade, are open systems, so I wouldn't buy one of those second hand personally, as you can't get the whole thing clean. I found a bargain ardo calypso in the boots clearance a week ago, and I'd happily sell it on used as it's a closed system. I wouldn't want to sell an open system second hand either, because of contamination risk.

https://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/open_system_breastpumps_vs_closed_system_breastpumps_a/147.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->