Would you choose a C-section again?

I am struggling to make the decision as DD was an emergency c-setion and i had a good recovery but to have another i would have a new born and a 20 month old to look after.

From a purly selfish point of view i would opt for a c-section as:
1. i can arrange child care for DD
2. I know when baby will arrive
3. i know i will def need 6 weeks recovery time
Medical point of view i would have a section for:
1. size of baby again - dd was 8ld 8oz got stuck and was back to back so after 27 hrs after waters breaking i was only 4cm and she had done a bowel movement
2. i could go in to labour naturally and still have to have a scetion anyway

Reasons for a VBAC:
1. its natural and i sometimes feel like ppl will judge me if i opt for a c-section
2. recovery is quicker (or ment to be - my friend had a horrendous recovery after a vaginal birth) - so will help for looking after DD and DS

i am struggling to decide!!

Its such a hard decision!
My c-section was due to complete failed induction, no contraction no dilation at all and it turned out Isaac was 10.7!
Im hoping to have some growth scans this time around and if they can assure me that the baby is a 'normal' size, I might give the VBAC a go if I go naturally but if there is any hint it might be another whopper I think Ill go for the elective
I had a fantastic exerience the first time, was walking less than 12 hours later, no painkillers at all and recovered great.
If I have an elective, I can arrange family to have time of work to help out with Isaac once hub goes back to work etc and Ill know where Im at.
Hub wants me to have an elective! For him a VBAC isnt even an option!

Its such a hard decision!
My c-section was due to complete failed induction, no contraction no dilation at all and it turned out Isaac was 10.7!
Im hoping to have some growth scans this time around and if they can assure me that the baby is a 'normal' size, I might give the VBAC a go if I go naturally but if there is any hint it might be another whopper I think Ill go for the elective
I had a fantastic exerience the first time, was walking less than 12 hours later, no painkillers at all and recovered great.
If I have an elective, I can arrange family to have time of work to help out with Isaac once hub goes back to work etc and Ill know where Im at.
Hub wants me to have an elective! For him a VBAC isnt even an option!

this is exactly how i feel. if i have an elective i know where i stand and can sort child care for Evie, if i dont but then end up with having a emcs i will be stuck and more stressed out!!

My oh is wanting the section more than a VBAC!!

I had an emergency c section and didnt have the best experience with it but have decided to have another section.
Also not wanting the VBAC at all

I am having the hardest time deciding as well and am comforted by so many of you deciding a repeat c-sec is what you want. Not really sure why, I guess I just thought the movement now-a-days was all VBAC. Not that I won't try it, I just haven't made up my mind! Thank you to the original poster for bringing up such a great topic!

I'm in the same boat, my mw if comfortable whatever I choose but I don't know - guess that's y I've got 36 weeks to think about it!

I do have to see an obgyn at 35weeks to talk more about it tho, and I was pleased mw said if I went vbac there's no way I would be allowed to labour for ages without progress like last time. She also said they don't induce previous c section mamas so if I get to 41 wks it's a defo c section

Hmm...thinking thinking

I would absolutely have another c-section; I wanted one to begin with for a number of psychological and physical reasons -- that I had to have an emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia and had a slightly difficult first 24hours (in high dependency on magnesium sulfate drip and LO in NICU) meant that both my LO and I are here and fine! My experience was actually quite good as well -- I had been monitored for the previous three weeks for high BP and the morning in question, felt absolutely terrible -- my ob/gyn and the blood pressure clinic MW listened to me, waited for the test results which showed it was PE (threatening for the previous three weeks) and within four hours, was having the c-section -- I did have some blood loss (one of the clamps loosened and it was feared that I might need a transfusion, but I was absolutely' calm from the moment that the c-section was decided -- my OH was thrown out of the recovery room with LO (he went to NICU due to my poor health and then wouldn't eat!), so it was actually worse for my husband than me!

best wishes

As long as everything works out okay, I'll go with a VBAC for my next one, however, due to my PCOS I'm not sure what my risks will be (not preggo yet but really trying) I'll trust my doctor to tell me what's best for me. When i was pg with my son, I was so adamant that I would do natural and ended up with an induction and epidural. Although I think that if I do have to have a cs with my next one I'm going to ask to be put out. because of my back issues, I didn't freeze on one side and felt it. Either way I will just be happy to have a baby in my arms again...that's mine anyway.

Don't stress if someone doesn't agree with your point of view. It's your body, your baby, your family. It's not up to anybody but you about how your baby comes into the world. What matters is that he or she gets here safely.:thumbup:

Pinkgem you said:
1. its natural and i sometimes feel like ppl will judge me if i opt for a c-section
2. recovery is quicker (or ment to be - my friend had a horrendous recovery after a vaginal birth) - so will help for looking after DD and DS

Those are my two EXACT reasons for not wanting a C sections, but the list of reasons for a natural birth are far longer!

Did you have C sections last time? Why?

- We have a family history of big babies, my mum and her brother were 9 and 10lbers 50 years ago; I was 8lb 12 and my brother was 10lb 15oz (serious ouch for my mum). Although a month early my little girl was still 6lb 9oz; at full term or overdue she could easily have been an 8lber. A second baby is likely to be bigger again

My PCT wouldn't entertain me having an elective c-section for this point of yours! My agruments for wanting to consider it with madden where:
  • I was an 8lb 10 breech baby born by c sect
  • babys father was 10lb 9
  • i firmally believe planned c-sections are easier to recover from
  • i have a small pelvis

I'm lucky in that they were able to deliver madden with the help of ventouse as he was stuck and at 9lb 6 I'm not surprised he did! But had they not I'd of have an EMCS which I would of struggled to mentally cope with.

I'll be fighting harder next time to have an elective c-section based on maddens birth

I had an emcs due to fetal distress, would do it again if necessary, but I would choose a vbac if at all possible.

I'm not being given a choice by my ob :wacko: I wanted a vbac but he said no way.

It'll be another c-section for me. I had an emcs due to failed induction and was told that my LO would never have been born naturally

I can't make my mind up still I had an emergency c and it went well but would like to experience vbac as well

It'll be another c-section for me. I had an emcs due to failed induction and was told that my LO would never have been born naturally

I was the same - my son was 9lbs 12.5oz with a 15cm head. No way I was birthing him naturally even though I wanted to. Failure to progress after 30+ hours of my water being broke and a week of contractions ended up with a c-section. Wouldn't do it anyother way. I tried my best to do it naturally and had to have a c-section because of factors out of my control. Whole experience was lovely but I want to try VBAC... however I've heard uterine eruptions are a serious factor for women who have had C-Sections. They happen to 1 out of 100 women... We'll just have to see how I feel when we get pregnant again.

No - I chose a VBAC and they would of had to drag me into theatre screaming for me to have another section. I hated it and i hated the recovery. I hated the fact that i couldn't pick up my baby every time i wanted to etc.

Had the advice been that i had to have one then obviously i would of done but i wanted to give it every chance possible for me to have a natural labour and birth. I did have a VBAC and it was a total breeze compared to my section - even though both labours were fairly comparable length wise.

I am definitely electing for a c-section again. I was in labor for 12 hours and my son's oxygen levels were dipping so they needed to get him out. The recovery for me was easy and now that I know what labor pains are like (terrible), I don't feel the need to have a vaginal delivery. I was terrified at the thought of pushing! If I had to have an elective c-section with my son then I most likely would have tried for a vaginal when we have #2 but I think because I experienced my water breaking/labor, then I'm ok with a c-section next time :)

I had an emergency cesarean section this last time, and I really do not want another! My Doctor is all for a VBAC next time. He was planning on turning LO if i made it to 36 weeks to prevent needing a cesarean, but I didn't.

I believe the statistic for uterine rupture is 0.5% - lower than the risk of other problems like cord prolapse and shoulder dystocia.

I'd never have another c-section unless I absolutely had to - the recovery was too painful, I didn't bond well with LO and ended up with PND.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->