would you class it as combi feeding?

alex_22

Reaction score
Most nights dd needs topping up with a bottle before bed after spending a couple of hours on the breast because it just isn't enough she drains 3oz and then goes back to the breast about an hour later, it's so strange because any other time of the day she's so content after a feed! I'm really hoping to cut the bottle out but already tried twice and ended up with her having me up every hour during the night instead of her usual 3-4 hours. So anyway my question is would that be classed as combi feeding her having 1 bottle a day? X

I reckon if you persevered your baby would sleep better after a few nights! She just needs to increase your supply a little.
A suppose it would be classed as combi feeding!

I had to supplement a few nights for the first few weeks. Now, I feel like I'm bursting after 3 hours and I can usually pump 3 oz (total) if LO is sleeping. But I really tried to increase my milk supply at the start because she was cluster feeding for up to 6 hours every evening. I pumped after feeds, increased water consumption, and started rubbing fennel essential oil on my bbs 3x per day. It's helped alot. It took a few weeks but now, as I said, I have a much better supply. I'm even able to pump a few oz to stash in the freezer pretty much every day.

Lo is currently nearly at the end of a 3oz bottle after feeding from both breasts for 10 minutes each just 15 minutes before, it's literally just 1 time of the day it seems like no matter how much I feed her it's not enough it's usually not until like 7-8pm though, I'm not going to beat myself up over it end of the say every other feed is breasts she's getting all the good stuff she's just a hungry little lady and mammy can't quite keep up just yet :) x

Sounds like cluster feeding, it's quite common for young babies. It is usually reckoned that they are working to increase your supply. If you circumvent that with a bottle, you may not get the supply boosting benefits.

10 minutes on each breast is NOT very long, at ALL.

It is combi feeding, if you are feeding formula and breastmilk.

I would say yes, it is combination feeding, as you are not feeding breastmilk exclusively.

I also second what misspriss says. You are missing a natural opportunity to allow baby to up your supply. It's normal for baby to nurse frequently in the evening.

After reading into cluster feeding I now understand it a lot more but it definitely doesnt make it any easier!! Having a 3yr old that wants and deserves a lot more of my attention and a house that looks like a bomb site makes it so hard to keep up with :( I'm doing my best though and that's all that can be done! X

It is classed as that, but I'm a great believer in not giving these things titles.
I would recommend avoiding it right now in your case though as it is an opportunity to boost your supply.

I'm going to try my hardest to just get through it I have my heart set on breastfeeding Hopefully we manage to knock the bottle on the head but I'm definitely not going to beat myself up over it x

I would say it is combi feeding, but there is nothing wrong with that if it's what works best for you and your family. However, if you're keen to be able to exclusively breastfeed, then you'll probably have to suffer a few long evenings to get your supply up. I know that's tough with another one to look after, and I nearly introduced an evening bottle on a few occasions when I was struggling with the frequent night wakings, but things will settle down if you stick with it.

Yes it's combi feeding, but if it's working for you it doesn't matter what it is called. If you are wanting to EBF it would be best to express while she's having the bottle, what she is doing is very normal, but I know that doesn't make it any easier, if you're happy giving her a bottle at bedtime then that's your decision, you may find she stops cluster feeding so you can just EBF, or you may just like the routine of a bedtime bottle. It sounds like you're doing a fab job :flower:

Thank you ladies! Whenever I give her a bottle I've already offered her breast first so when I try to express I get very little sometimes nothing should I just keep going for the length that she would usually feed or is there no point if I'm not getting anything? I don't mind giving her a bottle before bed my 3yr old son shares a bed with me so filling her up and having her nice and content for a few hours for bed is a life saver, once she's over the cluster feeding and gets herself into a nice routine I'll have no need to give her a bottle but atm it's been a God sent having the option there when I need it x

Ask yourself, is everybody healthy? Is everybody happy? If you can answer yes to both, your doing great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->