Would you consult with your baby's doctor?

caitlyn2009

Reaction score
My little guy is 2 weeks and 2 days old and is exclusively breastfed. He has not had any formula since a top up on day 3. He is gaining weight well (above his birth weight by day 9), has tons of wet diapers (10 or so per day) and his stool is seedy and yellow.

My concern is that he "spits up" constantly... A lot of the time it seems to be more like vomiting and he brings up his entire feed. If it isn't a large amount then it is a smallish amount multiple times for the first 30 or more mins after he eats. I have honestly not know a baby (bottle fed or breastfed) that spits up like he does. It affects his sleep because he pukes up his feeding and is then hungry again.

Would you give the dr a call or does it sound like normal newborn "spit up"?

I would give the doc a call. My second son threw up like crazy and ended up losing weight. We went through a couple different meds and special formula before things settled down and he finally grew out of the vomiting by about 7 months. He's completely fine now and in the top of his percentiles for growth at 4 years old. Mama's intuition is usually right and your doc should listen to that. It doesn't sound like "normal" newborn spit up to me. Good luck!

Sounds lie he has a touch of reflux but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs medical intervention. Some amount of reflux is normal in a lot of babies and doesn't cause distress. Feeding in a position where baby stays a bit more upright during the feed, winding often during a feed (so one burp at the end doesn't bring up the whole feed) and keeping LO upright for about 30minutes after a feed (like in a sling/wrap/carrier) is all some babies need for a few weeks/months till it resolves itself. Others need more medical intervention, but it is more difficult for bf babies from what I've heard and in the UK you often can't get medication unless baby is losing weight (because they are keeping down a healthy amount and able to digest it).

I took DS1 to the drs when he was 15wks and we ended up early weaning as we left it too late. Definitely recommend asking for advice now

Thanks ladies for your input. I will give his doctor a call Monday morning just to make sure there isn't anything more I can do. Noon_child... I will give all your advice a try this weekend and see how it goes.

Would reflux make him want to nurse constantly? The longest he has gone today without nursing is about 50 mins and he would have nursed sooner except I let him suck on my finger because my nipples were a little tender. I thought about giving him a pacifier because I don't know if he is comfort sucking or what.... All of this is new to me because I pumped and bottle fed my DD

There is a growth spurt around 3wks, so it could well be that. My son was a huge milk monster and would feed for 90mins and could eat again an hour later. He would throw up probably the last 2 ounces (or equivalent in bmilk) of each feed though.

When he nurses do you see his ears wiggle or the skin in front of his ears move? If you are then its a productive suck, if not it could be comfort or sleepy feeding. If you take him off then offer him again you should be able to see if he really attaches with the same enthusiasm.

Reflux could make him want to suck a lot but like pp said there are growth spurts too.

Also if you have a forceful let down he may be drinking more than he needs and then throwing up the excess. You may have heard that bf babies can't over eat - well that's because of a hormone in breast milk that tells a baby that they are full. However with a very forceful letdown and/or oversupply they can take in too much before they realise it. Then they'll throw up to get rid of the excess. You wouldn't want to stop this as it is LOs way of regulating his portions. As he is putting on weight well he's not throwing up all is food all the time, so it might just be the excess.

This forceful letdown and oversupply is often misdiagnosed as reflux when it isn't. Are his feeds quite short but he still seems satisfied? Would your milk spray out if LO unlatched during letdown? Does he sometimes gulp/choke at the beginning of a feed?

There's not much you can do about a forceful let down but it won't cause any problems (except all the clean-up you have to do:wink wink:) and should settle down when your supply regulates.

You can for over-forceful letdown lean back rather than upright/forward for feeding. Feeding laying down where practical can help too. A lactation expert recommended this to a friend of mine with this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->