Would you ever have/consider an Unassisted Childbirth?

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
I am just interested in seeing how many of us would consider and/or have an unassisted childbirth. I do not want this to turn into a debate about if UC is good or bad, but just if you would consider it or not. I may do this down the road, but just curious what you all think as it seems like more women are doing it these days (i imagine more secondx+ moms due to hospital experiences with their first) but, anyways, Yes or No?

EDIT!!!!***I could not revise the thread, but there should also be another option
for Yes I would consider it, but i am not for certain at this time SO if that is your choice, please reply with it :D

My answer would be Yes I would consider it, but i am not for certain at this time.
I have a midwife for this pregnancy, but I would choose an unassisted homebirth over a hospital if no midwife were available.

Not for me. It would panic me which is the opposite of what I want in a birth. Home yes, unassisted, no.

I was going to have one for my second baby but after as very long night of contractions staying at 12 mins apart we called a mw to get a bit of reasurance that things were moving. She was instantly rude to my oh on the phone when he called her and even tho I was mid contraction insisted on speaking to me and so rudely asked me 'where are we up too' that I told her not to bother coming. In the end they sent another 1 but as she was taking her coat off in the other room when my contractions went from 12 mins apart to having a strong one 1 min later...1 min after that I started pushing and my oh caught our son in 1 push with the mw on the phone to her back up in the other room. Seems my baby was determined that he only wanted to come out to me and his Dad!
We'll have a mw this time but I'm only calling her at the last minute again (different oh now as first passed away a yr after our son was born and tho he supports home birth he won't entertain UB)
So my answer would be Yes, I would consider a UB but not at this time!

I would consider it but I think with the system as it is here and knowing it pretty well, rather than go UC I'd just call when I was very close to birth so I knew that the mw was there for us if we needed them but not before. Al do get why people go unassisted though especially in the UK where you have no idea who will turn up to your birth and if they will give you worse care than none at all. :s I'd rather UC than give birth in a US hospital too.

I thought about I briefly when I was having trouble getting the support I needed but quickly decided against it. I've had one labour that was long, slow with fetal distress, an epidural at 5cm and some gas and air before hand. If I'd managed a drug free natural birth perhaps I'd be more likely to consider an UB, but if that had been the case I wouldn't have faced any opposition to a home birth so there would be no need to.

Yes I would consider it and think I would prefer it, but I'm currently not sure.

I don't like the idea of having anyone around during labour except DH and DD. I will be calling the midwife really late, in the hope that she wont get there in enough time to actually interfere. She even said at my last appointment that she can see my birth as a last minute phone call and they wont be here long!

id consider it but probably give in and call the MW at the last moment lol my mother had 2 hb's one unassisted but id want the MW there to check if i needed stiches and to check baby over just for peace of mind but there will be a hands off route insisted upon when this baby is arriving

No, but I think I might want to call the MWs quite 'late in the day'.

I would not. Planning an HBAC gives me a few extra risks to consider and I wouldn't be comfortable without my MWs in attendance. But every woman has the right, or should have the right to birth as she wishes. I can understand why a woman would go UB if MWs are not allowed in their state.

I would consider it, yes. I'm not 100% sure whether or not I would actually *do* it though, but I certainly won't call the MW until I/we think the time is very near.

I am so happy about this thread. Everyone has a different opinion on UC but this has been such a positive thread despite differences. You girls rock! I was seriously scared this would blow up haha.

I couldn't revise the voting options, but there were a few i wish i would have added :dohh: Like for me, i live in the US and my private healthcare (which i pay about $12,000 per year for :() REFUSES to cover homebirth :( its quite depressing. This birth i am seeing a MW at a free standing birth center (insurance will cover one of those even though they are HB MWs too :dohh:). (with DS i had a hospital waterbirth and had to avoid the system, which i did, but i dont like how certain things were brought up/done). Anyways, if we have the $5000 it takes to pay (on our own) for a homebirth MW NEXT TIME, then we will do that, but tbh, i doubt that will happen. If we can't afford a HB MW, then my vote is going unassisted (the birth center is just too far, but im willing to try it out) :thumbup:

Thanks for all of your great responses!!

No, I wouldn't consider it. I would just worry, and if something went wrong I couldn't forgive myself. I can see the appeal in it - it must be a very magical and natural experience, but I would be so worried and distressed that it would be counter-productive. I read an UC story on here once and it sounded beautiful, but it's just not for me.

well i had an accidental unassisted homebirth with my first baby. and currently in labour with my 2nd baby. i am having a home birth but with a midwife present this time. i was just luckly that nothing happened with my first baby. it was extremely frightening but i was so proud of myself after

well i had an accidental unassisted homebirth with my first baby. and currently in labour with my 2nd baby. i am having a home birth but with a midwife present this time. i was just luckly that nothing happened with my first baby. it was extremely frightening but i was so proud of myself after

wow! best of luck to you! please update us when your LO arrives :cloud9:

If I had a partner that I trusted with my life I would do it.

I dont right now so if we ever have another no i wouldnt UC

wow! best of luck to you! please update us when your LO arrives :cloud9:

well still no baby :( i am extremely uncomfortable and tired.
for past hour or so been having lots of pressure down below hopefully this is might mean things start to speed up.
just waiting for midwife to come back to check on me :( :( :(

is it not illegal in the uk to *plan* an unassisted birth? :shrug: that's what we got told at nct antenatal.. now if you just happen to "not realise" that baby is on the way and it's only you and DH there at the time, that's "okay" lol I might be wrong, but that's what we were told anyway

It's not for me.. i'm a first timer anyway and have had a few issues through pregnancy but even without that, it's just not what i'd want myself. In awe of people who can do it though :thumbup:

Its not illegal to plan an unassisted birth. Its illegal for someone to plan to assist you who isn't a doctor or midwife.

Its not illegal to plan an unassisted birth. Its illegal for someone to plan to assist you who isn't a doctor or midwife.

yep that's what i meant - as in DH couldn't be your birth partner doing the job of the mw if it's just you and him. You can do it TOTALLY alone, but not with someone who isn't qualified.. That's what we got told :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->