Would you let your 5 year old....

welshsarah

Reaction score
go to disney land with family. My OH's aunties want to take their grand child and my daughter to disney land for november to meet father Christmas. Theres no way I can take her as I am having a baby in August and got a 2 year old. They want to take the girls as a special treat and will only be staying for 2 nights. She will be 5 and half. Obviously ill have my own passport and be straight out there if something went wrong. I trust them completely and they are on my wave length with parenting. One is a teacher. Dont want her to miss out on this opportunity but I dont feel right about her being in a different country from me. What do you mummies think?X

Gosh, I remember things at that age and the memories it would create sound amazing. If you trust them and know she'll be happy then I'd say let her go. I would if I were in your shoes!

Gosh, I remember things at that age and the memories it would create sound amazing. If you trust them and know she'll be happy then I'd say let her go. I would if I were in your shoes!

What I'm worried about is that when she gets tired she becomes a mummys girl. We are extremely close, she is very independent (she go to friends houses fine and is happy and confident and makes friends easily), but when she falls its always me not even dad she runs too. im worried incase she will cry for me (god I know shes five) but shes still my baby. Also shes never been away from me that long before. I know there will be lots to do there and she wont have a chance to be bored. Im worried incase she will cry out for me in the nights. I think im just being silly but if she wanted me its not a case of jumping on a plane and picking her up.x

Not quite the same, but my DS1 went to Scotland with my parents last week during half term. He's just turned 4.

He had an absolute whale of a time. Didn't miss us in the slightest, quite sad really.

Not quite the same, but my DS1 went to Scotland with my parents last week during half term. He's just turned 4.

He had an absolute whale of a time. Didn't miss us in the slightest, quite sad really.

Aww did he bless, him. I know she would love it. Dont want to take the opportunity away from her. Wanted mummies opinions through x

I think it depends on what your DD is like.

My DD is 7, but even when she was younger she was very independent. I'd have had no problems sending her, she wouldn't have been homesick at all to be honest.

My DS1 is 5 and although I'm sure he'd love to go to disneyland, he is more clingy, and I think he would be homesick to be honest.

I'd definitely let the child have the option because it sounds lovely, as long as you trust the people offering to take her, but you know your own child better than anybody. If you think she'll be okay, that's a decision you need to make.

If your totally comfy with the adults, and you know it's just a couple days and she's have a blast- then why not? We used to send my SD down to Cali for a week or two sometimes during the summer to stay with my hubbies aunt. She was also a teacher and lives close to the Cali beach and was great with SD. My hubby used to go visit her too when he was a kid during summer breaks. Granted- it's only a 2.5hr plane ride- but SD had SO much fun and it was a great experience for her. Even though we'd miss her.

Just do what your comfy with hun- I bet your daughter will do great :) My SD is totally a Daddy's girl! So I get that point- but she could always call us if needed, and she did very well away (even though she had some anxiety and was REALLY a Daddy's girl for many years- like really... LOL). I think it actually helped her honestly- when she got big enough we even let her go alone on the plane! Much older- but she thought that was THE coolest thing ever. LOL. We just took her to the gate and his aunt picked her up at the gate.

My main concern would be the adult to child ratio. If there are going to be two adults and two children then I would be ok with that. If I'm not going to be with my child I'd rather there be a 1:1 ratio in case anything happened.
Other than that, if my lo was happy to go and I was comfortable about who they were going with then I would be ok but it would rather be able to go along as well.

Yes as long as she was comfortable with the people taking her, possibly let her stay for a night or two over the summer hols to see how she gets on xx

yes we are going to let her stay for 2 nights in summer holidays to see how she goes. :)x

I'd let her go as long as I trusted the adults taking her. DD1 was three when my MIL took her for a week to Washington State which is across the country from here to visit DH's grandmother and grandfather and she did just fine. She had the time of her life and still asks to go back to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->