would you let your child have one?

KatieMichhele

Reaction score
So on lorraine this morning they where talking about two dolls for children 2 + the first was a breastfeeding dolly where the child wore a bib with petal shaped nipples which the baby suckled off.

The second i really dont like, its a doll made to mimic neonatal babies and has tubes sticking out of it.

would you let your child have either of these and what do you think of them ?

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 34
I wouldn't call it disgusting, it isn't being disrespectful to the mums of babies who have been there. I guess if a child has their new sibling in hospital still with all these wires on they could have one to take care of themselves, maybe make them feel a little less scared by all the wires :shrug: That's one of the only ways I'd see a point to that doll being made, I don't understand why it was made.... Unless for medical training purposes??

And the breastfeeding one is an awesome idea but kids can just lift the baby to their chest and pretend... But then they could do that with any doll not just this one that's probably double the price.

I don't think they are disgusting. I think they are both great ideas to educate children and especially to normalise breastfeeding. However, I wouldn't buy one because chances are they will cost loads and they are just a toy.

i think the breastfeeding doll is quite cool, although I can understand why some people are a bit uncomfortable with it. Not sure what I think about the premature dolly, I can see why people might think it sort of de-means people in a situation like that? Really interesting dolls though! xx

I would never use the term disgusting, it's very derogatory. No, I don't think they're "disgusting".

Firstly, I fail to understand as to why breast feeding doll is "disgusting". It's natural and there's no reason as to why a child shouldn't view it that way. As for the other doll, while it is different to see, it could have its uses. What if a mother delivered a baby prematurely and that baby had an older sibling who didn't quite understand. Perhaps the doll could be used to explain why the baby has different types of medical tubes and whatnot. It could be extremely resourceful but definitely not "disgusting".

I don't think they are disgusting. I think they are both great ideas to educate children and especially to normalise breastfeeding. However, I wouldn't buy one because chances are they will cost loads and they are just a toy.

I agree. :) x

Id get either of my boys the breastfeeding doll,it would be hillarious! i think its a great idea.

i agree that the breastfeeding doll isnt that bad especially as i breastfeed myself, its just a different type of doll and there are alot of mixed views on it.

However i really dont like the special care one, as a learning tool for medical students or neo natal nurses but as a childrens toy i dont like it, i asked my freind who was premmie and her mother what they thought of it and they both hated it as they said it was too realistic as the mum remembered her hooked up with all the wires.

I wouldn't get my kid either. A neonatal top is ott, imo, and as for the bf one, she can just pretend on her own if she wants.

I am guessing that the neonatal doll is aimed at siblings of babies in the nicu to help them deal with everything and feel more comfortable with their sibling in the hospital.

No, I don't find either disgusting.

The breast feeding one I don't see the point of, you can pretend to nurse any doll, children will tend to Imitate how they have seen younger siblings being fed, either bottle to breast, nothing disgusting about it, just a very expensive doll £60!

The other one, although I don't see the appeal as a toy, I totally see how that could be a very useful prop to prepare older siblings being seeing their sibling in the neonatal unit. I guess some may like it of they had been a child in the neonatal unit too. Again I don't see anything disgusting about that, but I see it more educational than toy.

I don't know how I feel tbh. I like to think i'm very open-minded but I guess I don't know how i'll feel until I have kids of my own x

Disgusting is a stretch, no? Maybe edit the title to remove that. Breastfeeding is not disgusting. Does it need a specific doll? Probably not though.

I just posted about this and it was locked because I didn't realise there was a thread on it! I've thought about it and I don't really see the point. surely children use their imagination anyway and copy what mummy does?
I am currently breastfeeding and I hope that I will be able to breastfeed my 2nd in a few years time. I'm sure that Olivia will naturally copy with any normal dolly that she has anyway :shrug:

The neonatal one - I don't like. It isn't natural and is teaching kids that it's an everyday occurrence. They may grow up thinking it's normal and not knowing why people get upset if their babies have to go through this.

As a mum of a neonatal baby I am horrified they would bring a doll out to mimic this!!
It almost made me cry seeing that picture.
A baby being in neonatal is not natural, they are not supposed to be there, we didn't wish it on our baby.
We didn't even bring my niece and nephew to see him and rarely show them photos of his first week - all they were told was that he was 'poorly' and needed lots of help.

There is absolutely no need for this doll at all.

i dont see anyharm in either of the dolls, its a natural thing i see it from a educational point of view:thumbup:

I'm a mummy to babies born prematurely. I'm now pregnant again with a real risk of having another prem baby. My little girl is nearly 9 months so not really old enough to play with dolls or understand them. If she was older I might consider getting the prem one so she understands what a prem baby looks like and to become more comfortable with
him/her. But I wouldn't want it as a toy. Tbh seeing that picture sent chills down my spine, I'm struggling still with our neonatal exp and personally would find it too difficult having that doll in my house. But as I say for educational purposes I think it could be a valuable tool.

I have no problem with the breastfeeding doll.

xxx

I think it depends on why and what u use them for but dont think disgusting is the correct term.
The neonatal one is good to explain to children about siblings. But i have a friend whos daughter was born at 36wks-same as my two- abd spent a couple of days in scbu. She then went and bought her for her 2nd or3rd birtjday a toy set whixh had a little cot in like the ones they use in hospital. She told her daughter it was an incubator and that she was in one. She would play the sympathy card on it and make out like she was desperatly ill, she bought her it as a memory for her of when she was in. I and alot of other friends felt very uncomfy. She wasnt using it to explain or educate but to get a sympathy vote. She is very attention seeking.

Apparently the premature doll is being marketed to adults and comes with medical 'toys'.... https://www.opposingviews.com/i/hea...-baby-doll-marketed-adults-causes-controversy. I could understand if it was being used to prepare a sibling for how their brother or sister might look in the hospital, but I just don't get it as an actual toy. It makes me think of this tlc documentary I saw of grown women with lifelike dolls that they pretended were real babies. Also, it is $1200!?

i was going to say it looks like one of those lifelike reborn dolls. I don't see the attraction in any of them i find them all a bit disturbing.

and the breastfeeding doll... meh- buy a normal doll take the baby bottle away if you have an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->