Would you pay for a private scan to get it earlier?

Mumtodogs

Reaction score
Hello!

Just looking for a quick show of hands!! I recently found out I'm pregnant again after 2 mc this year, ttc #1.

I have found a private clinic who do 'viability reassurance scans' from 7 weeks for £80.

Have I officially gone over into the realms of cuckoo land? Should I be considering this? The NHS will not scan be before 12 weeks, but the thought of waiting 8 more weeks is daunting!!

I would. Things are different here in the U.S. but after also having two m/c and ttc #1, the next time I am pg, my doc is going to start scans at 6 or 7 weeks.

Just been chatting to the hubby about it... We are seriously considering it. You can easily blow £80 on a night out, and this has the potential to give me so much peace.

I would. Scans here are free of charge so next time I'll be at my doctors from the day after my BFP and on. (even if he doesn't scan until 6 weeks. Just seeing him will reassure me)
But even if not- I would pay the extra.
You don't need the extra stress.

I did with both of mine. Felt so much better after the 8 wk scan with my dd, all was well and the right size. Had the same with my last pregnancy but it was measuring small and although I didn't find out properly until my NHS 12 wk scan I think I knew from then it wasn't right. I went to a cheap place though it cost £50 !! When I was asking lots of questions after the second scan they were no use and just wanted my money and to get me out so I think I'd go with a more expensive one next time. Baby bond are meant to be good. Although I'm hoping my mw will take pity on me! Lol x

Thanks guys... I think my mind it made up about it.

Munchkin, I'm also scared about what could be said, like I'm measuring behind etc, but I think I will worry about that until my 12 week scan anyway.

I've told the hubby that all responses on here so far have been 'yes', think that's helping sway him! haha

I absolutely would. Like Itsawonder, I'm in the US so things are different, but there is no question that I would fork out the extra money for an earlier scan. My doctor offered me one at 7 weeks with this BFP and you better believe I took it!! Under my insurance plan, I pay 20% of the cost of each ultrasound, so actually, my reassurance scan probably cost me more than $80 (not even going to try to figure out what the exchange rate is now! ha!). And I would pay it again in a heartbeat! There's no price for peace of mind!!!

PS- Congrats on the BFP!!!

My hospital said they would do an early scan for me next time I get a bfp since I've had a mc. Just need a referral to the epu from my GP. Worth asking your GP? Failing that yes I would defo pay for an early scan!

Really?! Oh I just believed they wouldn't as I know that they usually go for 12 weeks and don't investigate at all until you've had 3 consecutive mc's... but you're in the UK too?!

I'm totally going to ring my GP tomorrow now, they might well give me one if I plead my case, as I didn't get an AF between my last mc and this BFP, so there could be dating issues? (Or maybe I could just play this up to see if I can get a scan!!)

hey mum, i was also told that i could go for one as early as 6 weeks for reassurance when we are lucky enough to fall pg again, and then can have another one after a couple of weeks if i feel i need to. defo ask your epu. i know the system is slightly different up here in the highlands, but im sure down where i used to live in linconshire would do the same.x

Thanks Jelly, I've got a GP appointment on 9th September. I'm going to plead my case and hope for the best, if not I'll be putting my hand in my pocket.

Was so sorry to hear your news Jelly, you're one of the original 2ww gang! Fingers crossed you're not waiting too long for you're next BFP, and then a h&h 9 months x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->