Would you recommend a private scan?

pansorie

Reaction score
I didn't even realize that it was an option until I started reading these forums. I just want to know everything is OK, and November the 10th seems soooo far away. My husband thinks I am borrowing trouble, but I am scaared! Have you done a private scan in the past and would you recommend it? Or should I just wait?

Where would you even get one done? I'm interested now!

I've always had private scans and personally would recommend them. With ds1 we wanted to tell family over Christmas when I would have only been 11 weeks so before our nhs scan. We had a private scan to check it was all ok. We then booked one for reassurance with our next pregnancy but sadly that was a mmc. With our rainbow we had a private scan at 8 weeks because I was so paranoid after the mc. And finally as I was still paranoid with this baby we've had two scans for reassurance. I can't imagine not having one now.

The clinic we use is pretty expensive though and we just chose them as it was one of the first we found so it might be worth looking around for a good deal. I think I just googled private ultrasound scans in my local area.

Where would you even get one done? I'm interested now!

Heather, I just googled "Private ultrasound, City, State". I live in a capital city, so there were several to choose from. The one I looked at said just for the early 2d it would be $75 which sounds good to me. I looked at some of the 3 and 4d, and they looked around $100. I also noticed that they are open quite late. Honestly, I don't want anything fancy, just reassurance.

And thank you for your experience, George. I wish I had looked into it earlier.

If you're around 8 weeks I would but not sooner. As it may cause more stress than comfort.

If you're around 8 weeks I would but not sooner. As it may cause more stress than comfort.

Yes, you are right. I am going off the assumption that everything will go perfect in a scan. My husband wants me to wait, since it is just 11 days. And by 8 weeks I will be seeing my doctor, anyway.

*Think good thoughts*

Good thoughts your way :) Wasn't sure how far along you were! If you have an Ultrasound in 11 days I wouldn't spend the money for private that may or may not show anything. That's my personal opinion. Good Luck to you!!!

I got one this week as I was getting a pain in my left ovary. My situation is different because we concieved through IVF - so for me I just called my nurse, told her my concerns and she booked a scan in for me.

It was good to see the baby where it should be, and know the source of my pain is just my swollen ovary (result of the stimulation with IVF).

It did cost me a nice $232 though! But it was worth it to know everything is ok, and also the reason for the pain.

I'm having one tomorrow because otherwise it'd be a wait until 12/13 weeks! I've heard nothing but good things about them...Surely seeing your baby is just going to help you feel relaxed? I'm lucky because I've already seen the heartbeat at 6 weeks, but it really can't hurt to see it again! It wasn't measured or anything before, the baby wasn't measured and a detailed scan wasn't done, it was literally a few seconds of "is it in your womb? Yes. And its heart is beating" and that was that, so tomorrow will be a real treat. We'll also get pictures and a DVD!

Having said that, if I only had to wait until 11th Nov I wouldn't do it, I'd save the money to put towards something in the nursery :)

We're having one in 2 weeks to get the gender earlier. I was lucky enough to have two scans through my ob already, but we'll have to wait till 20 weeks to find out the gender and we just can't! Lol . I mean I'll only have the scan two weeks earlier than at the Dr but oh well. Its costing us $70 for the private gender prediction and we get a $25 coupon for if we come back later in the pregnancy. So we plan on using that for a 3d/4d ultrasound at around 30 weeks. So that will cost us $75 instead if the usual $100. So I'll get two private scans, one 3d, for $145...not too bad a deal I don't think.

I know exactly how you feel pansorie. I'm contemplating the same, even though my scan is booked for 11 Nov, mainly because my HCG level yesterday was not as high as the nurse I spoke to was expecting. It's all such a mindf@#k!

I am embarrased to say I broke down and scheduled the scan for 2pm today. I know my appt is around the corner, but I have had no peace being in limbo. :( I hope I am not like this my entire pregnancy... But if it is good I need to know, if it is bad I need to know. I have felt so neurotic the last few weeks. :(

I see you already decided, so it probably won't matter to give my opinion! ha ha

However, I was going to say I would just wait for your doctor.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is that I read a lot about private places during my last pregnancy as they were becoming really popular in the U.S. around that time. The one thing I kept seeing was that the u/s units at those places aren't regulated or ran by as qualified people as the doctor office/hospital. Therefore, they found some machines were set to levels that weren't necessarily deemed safe.

I would just make sure you go to a highly qualified place. :) I'm sure it will be fine. I personally will only do u/s through a doctor office or hospital.

id recommend one and think there worth every penny at that early stage, i was admitted for HG at 6 weeks and they gave me an early scan at hospital but only yolk sac could be seen no HB, i didnt like that even though i knew it was still way early for HB ect i just wanted to see one, so at 8+4 i went for a private scan and so glad i did, we saw eveything even the start of limbs growing, it defo set my mind at ease till my 12 week scan came, so yes if u can afford it ect go for it hun if it will put ur mind at ease :)

How did your scan go pansorie? No harm in doing one for peace of mind!

Mine was a dream, hearing the heartbeat was incredible and it's going strong at 144bpm. Baby is measuring 4 days behind but the sonographer didn't seem concerned about it as the hb is right on target :cloud9: I think he/she was facing us as it looked like a little bean with head, eye holes, little limbs at the sides and a miniature tail!

Worth every penny.

Went to the scan, what a relief!!! It really was worth the peace of mind! I feel like I can relax and not be such a nutcase.

Baby is measuring 6w3d, the first heartbeat was 132, the second was 138. We saw the yolk sac, and the little bean. We also saw blood flowing to the heart (at least that is what she said it was). It was an abdominal ultrasound, and she found the baby almost immediately. My last menstrual cycle was Sept 12, and she put my due date at June 24th. Although I am technically 7 weeks (since LMP), she said it is of no concern that the baby is measuring 6 weeks.

I was feeling dense, and my husband had to remind me the 7 weeks was based on my period, and not on when the baby started to develop.

So yes, $75, and I do have another scan by the doctor on the 10th, but soooo worth alleviating the anxiety. :cloud9:

Also, she gave me a coupon for finding out the gender early and some 3d/4d stuff. I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to find out the gender (leaning on not) but the 3d sounds cool later in the pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->