Would you report benefit fraud?

zack's_mummy

Reaction score
Hi guys

Someone I know (ish) I strongly suspect of benefit fraud, I believe she is working and claiming Income Support at the same time :growlmad:

We know the woman she works for, as a cleaner, cash-in-hand type job, who she is good friends with.

I'm on the verge of reporting her, I'm just wondering how many of you would???

I woud only if i knew that they were deffinantly doing benefit fraud

Idk, to be honest. If they were flaunting it and didn't give a crap I'd think about reporting it. But if it was someone who I knew was genuinely struggling, if they had children and they couldn't do without the money, I might turn a blind eye.

I think the 'rules' are quite confusing sometimes, I was working a cleaning job and claiming Income Support several years ago, but it was perfectly legit. There is a certain amount you can earn in a week before they dock it (or there was when I was on it). But it was all a bit confusing at first. So she could still be genuine :)

I think if you reported someone and it turned out they weren't committing fraud, they'd of course have nothing to hide, but it would I imagine be a bit of a hassle for them getting investigated, having all their finances gone over with a fine tooth comb. I don't think it'd be a nice experience particularly. It would also potentially cause the fraud investigators to waste a lot of resources chasing up a fraud report that didn't get them anywhere.

it depends if they are claiming and dont need to claim then yes but some one i know through a friend was claiming income support just before xmas as her husband left her with 3 kids and she was working the odd shift at the local pub to get a bit of extra money for the kids xmas and noone reported her because she was really needing the money but she managed to get a fulltime job after xmas
if they are working and claiming and flaunting it by buying big tvs and flashy cars then yes

Yes, this is it. I think you can claim £20, then over that it gets knocked off your income support? I'm not entirely sure on this.

And it would be a hassle for her, and a waste of resources if she was doing everything genuinely, but what about if she is actually fraudulently claiming and they do have a case against her?

Eeek I'm not sure what to do!!!

I agree with what everyone else had said :thumbup: It makes me laugh really. The people committing the real fraud and are blatant about it are the ones that end up in the papers and they've been doing it for yeeeeears and conned the government out of millions. Yet a person who may be struggling doing a shitty cleaner's job and getting benefits (which may even be legit) is a 'cause for concern'

Sorry, that came out rude and I wasn't trying to have a go. I just hate the system in this country is all.

I suppose I definately would report her if it was some mass scheme, but she does have 4/5 kids, and as Jem says, it's only a shitty cleaners job. Plus the woman she does it for has COPD and I guess she probably wouldn't be able to afford hire a cleaner the legit way.

There's some "ads by google" underneath the reply box:

Tax investigation
Free UK Credit Check
Disclose whistleblowing
Insurance Fraud and Theft

Well not saying cleaner's jobs are shitty :dohh: I realise that wasn't the right way to say it now lol as I've been a cleaner myself but it isn't the best pay and depending on where you are it isn't that many hours. Fair enough if she was working full time, that's not on. I don't know the situation as she may not have kids but I guess I just find the system so laughable in this country that some people lose out on help where others are having loads of kids and exploiting it. Like that woman who had a husband who worked and lived with her and still claimed benefits :growlmad:

Yes i would.

They are taking from a system that is there to help people who have no income at all.

To go to the effort of getting a job shows they are capable of getting employment so they no longer need IS or JSA.

Thats when they should claim WTC.

V xxx

I wouldn't esipcally if the stopped her money while they investigate and she's has kids! If she is shell get caught I'm just not mosey enough to be bothered x

It really depends on the circumstances I think. Someone who is genuinely struggling, no I wouldn't. Someone who is ripping people off left right and centre, I def would! I know a woman who claims for DLA for her perfectly healthy son. It really grates me because I know a lot of children who are really disabled and this boy is NOT.

My Mum commited benefit fraud when we were growing up. Our Dad (who earnt over £100k a year) left us when I was 4 and my sister was 3 months old. He left us with nothing and Mum struggled, couldn't afford to put a roof over our heads so worked PT and claimed IS and carers allowance for my Gran, even then we had days when all we had to eat was a pot noodle.

Iv reported before, Both times i knew full well they were earning about £195 a week and claiming JS.

Nothings been done, So iv lost my faith in reporting, So no, I wouldnt do it again.

i did the same as lucy.

i reported my neighbour for claiming that he was disabled lives in a purpose built disabled house with a lift in, that could be used by someone who really needs it.

he reckons he cant walk at all!!! yet ive seen him lay a patio, build a fishpond, go for long bike rides and climb hills that even i would struggle with :growlmad:. when he thinks no ones looking he wont use walking stick and will walk without a limp. when people are around ou comes the stick and limp:growlmad:.

ive taken loads of photos of this and sent them in and reported him several times and nothing has been done. this system is shocking!!!

he's had his money stopped on many occasions so they must guess somthing isnt right:dohh:. last time it was stopped he started claiming he has motor neurone disease (how sick in the head must you be to lie about this).

this sort of thing makes me so angry:growlmad::growlmad:.

even more so when they have delieveries everyday for takeaways, new games consoles etc:growlmad:.

do what you feel is right hun:flower:

^my OH has the same experience he has reported several people for doing massive fraud (claiming under several identities etc) and the worst that happened to any of them; they got their benefit slightly docked and no charges were brought! He had loads of proof that they were committing fraud including managing to photocopy their various identity documents et al and the people at the benefit fraud hotline were being accusatory towards OH!

^my OH has the same experience he has reported several people for doing massive fraud (claiming under several identities etc) and the worst that happened to any of them; they got their benefit slightly docked and no charges were brought! He had loads of proof that they were committing fraud including managing to photocopy their various identity documents et al and the people at the benefit fraud hotline were being accusatory towards OH!

its not right is it hun :growlmad:. you see the adverts on the tv, in the newspaper, on the radio telling you to do the right thing and report these people and then when you do it basicly gets chucked back in your face:growlmad:. its so annoying!!!

i think my neighbour must love it when it does get stopped to be investigated, he must get it all backdated or somthing as a couple of months later there out shopping in extravigent places buying designer clothes etc :dohh:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->